mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Gravity Droppers, Stealth Plans?

With these new infinite travel stealth posts on the market, the original adjustable post boys, GD, is having a run for the money. KS, Reverb, and soon Thompson (with a stealth version). But I like the GDs; mechanical, reliable, great customer service. I wonder if they're lighter than the KS Stealth and Reverb? I think the GD's are less prone to problems like the other posts too.

I emailed GD to inquire if they've anything in the works for this changing market. With their design, I'm not sure how they could make it infinite or stealth, but if they did it would be very cool to see.
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    GD needs to step up its marketing strategy..not many riders hear about GD, especially noob.
    I love my GD, no boot, looks better. Almost maintenance free, very simple.
    Having said that, my next dropper post would be infinite travel, they are getting better now. Reverb and KS have good review as well now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    First, I'm a dropper noob. I don't even have mine yet(tomorrow it'll be here). However, I'm a research-the-piss-outta-stuff kinda guy. I've been looking at the posts, reviews, diagrams, schematics, anything I can dig up really for almost three months. Some posts got crossed off the list really early on. Some posts hung in to the very end. Those posts got scrutinized....and I don't have the option to ride one first.

I'm pretty sure of how the GD works, it's basically a spring loaded pin that pops into a hole to engage the post at a desired height. There's three things that pushed me to buy a LEV over the GD(no particular order):

1) The boot! It's plain old hideous...easily remedied, kind of a non-issue but worth mentioning.

2) The cable angle. Having a giant loop of cable coming straight out the back of the post just doesn't sit well with me. I like a clean set up and that isn't clean. Plus the extra material can collect stuff, possibly snag on stuff and potentially interfere with suspension travel(ie contact tire).

3) The lever LOOKS awkward and cumbersome to me. I have no experience with it, it seems to work just fine, but it also seems big and potentially fragile.

Now, I understand you can use a KS lever with it(arguably the nicest lever out there), but that's a steep upgrade price to an already $300 post. I would have rather had the GD as it seems pretty bullet proof from user reviews...and their customer service appears to be top notch.

I would have gotten over the lever I'm sure. I would have removed the boot without a doubt. However I couldn't get past that cable situation. Maybe I'm just vain. I'm actually embarrassed that that's the big problem I have with it.

All that said, I don't like the cable slack/flop with the other posts out there either that attach up at the saddle clamp area either. And I'm terrified of the kevlar cable issue on the LEV....time will tell on mine.

To the stealth option(internal routing) I can see GD eventually making one. They just need to actuate from the bottom and run the locking mechanism from the inside out instead of outside in. Simple to say, not nearly as simple to actually do though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Stealth one would be nice.
    Here is my 3 yr old GD:

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    I like the hydraulic Reverb. The mechanical KS Lev and the like just look clunky, and have been known to fail sooner.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    I like the hydraulic Reverb. The mechanical KS Lev and the like just look clunky, and have been known to fail sooner.
    And a GD will outlive them all.

I don't know why anyone would want a stealth Gravity Dropper, the whole point of them is that they're reliable and easy to fit/maintain. It's what you fit once you're sick of re-bleeding Reverbs, squishy KS or rattly Xfusions. They sell pretty much by word of mouth and there's really no need for a new mechanism,especially not more internal cable routing.

A more Thomson like seat clamp on the other hand...

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post

I don't know why anyone would want a stealth Gravity Dropper, the whole point of them is that they're reliable and easy to fit/maintain. It's what you fit once you're sick of re-bleeding Reverbs, squishy KS or rattly Xfusions. They sell pretty much by word of mouth and there's really no need for a new mechanism,especially not more internal cable routing.

The thomson seat clamp fits the GD btw, been running mine that way for years.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I agree. The GD is a solid proven product. It's just that with the stealth look and infinite travel now available on other posts, its tempting to go that route instead. I'm a huge fan of reliability and function over looks. But these other posts seem are becoming more reliable also. The reliability plus costs was holding me off from these other posts. Yikes, $400!
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by literally View Post
    The thomson seat clamp fits the GD btw, been running mine that way for years.
    The latest version of the Thomson clamp doesn't fit, it's got a slightly different curve on the lower clamp that splays the dropper outwards if you put weight on it.
    Last edited by Fix the Spade; 10-06-2013 at 09:26 AM.

bike rider
    The current horizontal pin locking system of the GD won't work with a cable that comes in vertically so I don't expect to see a "Stealth" version. No functional need for it anyway since their cable doesn't move. Rockshox started the stealth thing because their remote system has to enter the inner post from the top or bottom and the hose loop was a detractor compared to the GD, LEV, and Kronolog.

The LEV is being offered in stealth just for aesthetics and to get rid of the kevlar cord, so maybe lighter and one less thing to go wrong. The downside of that will be you lose the ability to quickly remove the post from the frame or swap cables.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    The latest version of the Thomson clamp doesn't fit, it's got a slightly different curve on the lower clamp that splays the dropper outwards if you put weight on it.
    thanks - i wasn't aware of that. glad i held on to my old thomson posts when i moved to droppers.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I also love my GD, and it being mechanical can fix it myself. Have run a new cable several times in the past 4 years on both mine and the wife's bike. GD's customer service is excellent, you can also order parts (like that super small allen wrench for the trigger housing) online. Seems like hydraulic dropper owners are resigned to the fact that they'll need to get major service at some point. Love the infinite travel but am worried about long term reliability.
    OVER the rocks, not around

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I love my GD turbo LP as well - it's just awesome. My new bike will have a Reverb Stealth but I'll be hanging onto the GD for a little while to make sure the Reverb is good.

So many good write ups about the GD!!

Quote Originally Posted by CanyonDad View Post
    I also love my GD, and it being mechanical can fix it myself. Have run a new cable several times in the past 4 years on both mine and the wife's bike. GD's customer service is excellent, you can also order parts (like that super small allen wrench for the trigger housing) online. Seems like hydraulic dropper owners are resigned to the fact that they'll need to get major service at some point. Love the infinite travel but am worried about long term reliability.