Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Chris Bling

Gravity Dropper Turbo LP

Hey everyone,

Been eyeing one of these babies. Its just an updated version of the Turbo thats a little stronger.

They are offered in a multi-position 125mm drop with 30.0 and larger posts. Here is where the question lies.

You can get them with an initial 1" drop or 2.5" drop and was wondering what you guy's preference is. When I had a GD years ago, I had a 1" drop and it seemed to suit my needs but would appreciate any thoughts of the 2.5" initial drop

Thanks in advance.

*Ended up going with the Gravity Dropper. Been running one ever since then and have zero issues with it. Super easy to maintain and it just keeps on performing. There is something to be said about low maintenance dependability*
    Last edited by dustyduke22; 07-14-2014 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Final choice added
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    duplicate post
    Last edited by ebeer; 12-13-2012 at 09:29 AM. Reason: doop

mtbr member
    I had the GD Turbo with 1" on 3" and loved it. I've since moved to a new bike with a Command Post at 5", with the first drop at 35mm or 1.377". I really like this setting with the longer travel post.

That said, if choosing b/t the 1" an 2.5" from GD, I'd go 1" as I think the 2.5" would be less "pedalable". I find if I want to pedal through through some techie parts I use the 1st drop...and anything else down that's fast/steep/air I've got the seat full down.

I have read in past threads that GD will do custom positions.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I have a GD with two drop positions , 2" & 4"
    For me, it's a perfect combo. All the way up for climbing grades, 2" drop for trail riding and drop another 2" for decent's. I can't imagine riding without one now.

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    Hey everyone,

Been eyeing one of these babies. Its just an updated version of the Turbo thats a little stronger.

They are offered in a multi-position 125mm drop with 30.0 and larger posts. Here is where the question lies.

You can get them with an initial 1" drop or 2.5" drop and was wondering what you guy's preference is. When I had a GD years ago, I had a 1" drop and it seemed to suit my needs but would appreciate any thoughts of the 2.5" initial drop

Thanks in advance.
    Hi Mr. dustyduke22,

I have a GD 4" post w/a 1" drop on one of my bikes and a GD 5" post w/a 2.5" drop on another of my bikes. I got my first GD dropper post back in 2005 so I've been using this product for some time. I was initially hesitant about getting the 2.5" drop but immediately found that I prefer it over the 1" drop. I especially appreciate the 2.5" drop on wheelie practice sessions!

Good luck with your purchase!

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

usually cranky
    hopefully you dudes can help me out. im in the market for an adjustable seatpost and i have y eye on the gd but im a bit leary of the designated positions. i had a reverb and really liked it. will i get used to the gd or is it better to go with something infinitely adjustable?

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    hopefully you dudes can help me out. im in the market for an adjustable seatpost and i have y eye on the gd but im a bit leary of the designated positions. i had a reverb and really liked it. will i get used to the gd or is it better to go with something infinitely adjustable?
    Hi Mr. b-kul,

Of all the design features of a adjustable seatpost I feel the value of a fixed position vs. adjustable position is entirely personal preference. I prefer the fixed position because I know exactly how the bike will preform in each position. I'm never a little too low or a little too high on a particular shift.

With the GD you can choose the amount of drop and I've come to appreciate the 2.5" drop the best. On my various bikes I have three different GDs in all their models. I have 3", 4" and 5" posts with both a 1" as well as the 2.5" drop. My favorite is a 5" post with a 2.5" drop. As many others have said it's a reliable product that works well and is backed by a company that will give you fantastic customer service should you ever need it. I highly recommend both the product and the company!

Good luck with your purchase!

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

Chris Bling

GD or DOSS

Sorry to throw this into the mix, but it seems like you can get both the DOSS from Fox and the Gravity Dropper Turbo for the same price. Both offer 3 positions and 5 inches of drop.

Which one would you choose?
    Affordable Custom Wheels

usually cranky
    well the gd is lighter and proven. uglier but hey.

DOH!
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    Sorry to throw this into the mix, but it seems like you can get both the DOSS from Fox and the Gravity Dropper Turbo for the same price. Both offer 3 positions and 5 inches of drop.

Which one would you choose?
    GD. Hands down.

I've owned one - and now three - for seven years running and have never had a problem. They've operated in every type of environment, from the mud and wet of BC, to the sands of Moab, to sub-zero blizzard conditions near Jackson (winter fat biking).

Their design is proven, extra reliable, efficient, and it's one of a very few bits on my bike(s) that I never worry about.

GD's customer service is also something Fox could only dream about.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    You know how your bike moves under you with fixed saddle height.So GD

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    well the gd is lighter and proven. uglier but hey.
    And CS is top notch.

"Hi, I've had this post for less than a year and snapped."
    "Send it back, we'll send you a new one."
    "Ok, can you change it from a 5"/1" drop to a 4"/1" drop?"
    "Sure, next time, make sure you run the cable backwards."

A week later, new post--no cost no problems.

Husband got a hairline crack in his after riding on it for 3 years.
    "Oh yeah, no problem. Send us the post, and we'll send you it fixed."

A week later, fixed post--no cost no problems.

Today I called them to ask them when they're going to have an ergo lever (I really hate their lever). They told me they're working on that, but it's not ready for prime time yet. However, the KS Lev lever should work if I want to get it and try to make it work. They couldn't promise any guarantees, but that was WAY cool of them.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Hi there

I've had a new LP version of the GD turbo for a few weeks now. Initially I bought it with just a two position (4" drop, no middle increments) thinking that 4" wouldn't make much difference. I was so wrong! I actually found the drop too much and hated it. Thought I'd really messed and bought something that was useless.

However, I was stoked to discover that GD sell inside tube sections with a variety of different drop setting for only $30 so you don't have to buy an entirely new post if you feel you've got the wrong drop option(s).

I've a 2" / 4" drop section on the way and can't wait to give it a go!

Hope this helps

Chris Bling
    Then there is the new Thomson post that comes out next year. That's the only post I think I might consider instead of the GD now
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    I am jealous of all you guys who don't yet have dropper posts- Your world is about to get rocked.

Here are my experiences having ridden and owned a number of them:

Fixed or infinite: Fixed- You get used to it, with infinite I always wondered if it should be a little higher or lower.

1 or 2+ inch drop: 1 I've had both and find 1 is best for me. You can still sit and pedal on a flowy descent, whereas 2+ felt too low to sit and pedal with, so if standing, why not drop it all the way?

Hydraulic vs mechanical: Mechanical hands down- Have heard or experienced breakage with every hydraulic post on the market. Best hydraulic I have used was the Fox, but even it was starting to have issues with going from the 2in down to full extension and was 1 mo old. Other posts I have seen even worse, with catastrophic failures on the trail, or at best having to pedal home with a low (or spongy) post.

With an easy clean and lube my gravity droppers feel good as new every time. I clean mine every spring (lasts till fall), and usually once or twice each winter depending on how much mud it sees. Takes 5 mins each time, no tools required.

So far my 2 gravity droppers have outlasted all the other posts I have owned or been better than those I have tried. Whatever you end up with will change your life as long as it is in good working order.

Good luck and have fun!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Wasn't considering GD until this LP. Looks like they have multiple diameter and drop options now without having to use shims. IMO it looks better without the boot, as long as that doesn't mess with the operation / reliabilty. Anyone knows when the new ergo remote comes out?
    Last edited by D3NN15M; 12-15-2012 at 08:36 PM.

Keep on Rockin...
    The GD is bomb proof. I've been riding them since they first came out, but I also have 2 Spec Command posts I also like ' cause I prefer set back posts.

As far as varible drop - no brainer - go with the 1" and the full drop. Pedaling anything more than a 1" drop is really tough, IMO.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tudor View Post
    Hi there

I've had a new LP version of the GD turbo for a few weeks now. Initially I bought it with just a two position (4" drop, no middle increments) thinking that 4" wouldn't make much difference. I was so wrong! I actually found the drop too much and hated it. Thought I'd really messed and bought something that was useless.

However, I was stoked to discover that GD sell inside tube sections with a variety of different drop setting for only $30 so you don't have to buy an entirely new post if you feel you've got the wrong drop option(s).

I've a 2" / 4" drop section on the way and can't wait to give it a go!

Hope this helps
    Any pics of your setup? Just curious how "low profile" it looks now. Apparently, the LP is designed to run backwards. I assume that refers to the cable out from the post and also has something to do with the reliabilty. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Gd looks better without the boot. Mine is 1" and 4". Perfect.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I even rarely clean it. Very reliable. Its been more than 2 yrs, pretty much problem free until i snapped the cable. So installed cable noodle as seen on the pic. I just replaced the inner shim, bushing and seal, cost me $6, becoz the play had become too much. Now is solid again like new, with little play.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I like most reviews of the GD Turbo LP. I like the reliability and don't care about looks.
    One thing that I don't like about GD is the control lever. I heard or read that GD was working on a new ergonomic lever. Anyone have any details?

I know I could use a KS, CrankBrother or other lever, but I want to avoid additional cost and trouble of getting it.

mtbr member
    iQUOTE=sancycling;9991871]I like most reviews of the GD Turbo LP. I like the reliability and don't care about looks.
    One thing that I don't like about GD is the control lever. I heard or read that GD was working on a new ergonomic lever. Anyone have any details?

I know I could use a KS, CrankBrother or other lever, but I want to avoid additional cost and trouble of getting it.[/QUOTE]

GD posts are definitely the most reliable adjustable posts on market as I have owned many of them over the years. Just wish they made a 6" post as that is what I require. The only thing going against them is that they will eventually wiggle to all heck at seat clamp and not the most aesthetically pleasing of course, but the most functional, easiest to rebuild and best custy service for posts out there, oh an USA made as well
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sancycling View Post
    I like most reviews of the GD Turbo LP. I like the reliability and don't care about looks.

I know I could use a KS, CrankBrother or other lever, but I want to avoid additional cost and trouble of getting it.
    I sent them an email asking about the new remote as well. I'll let you know what they say if/when they reply.

mtbr member
    I emailed them about the new lever as well. Was told it will be avaiable late 2013.

Can anyone comment if running it without the boot has caused any problems?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Most dropper post has no boot. The problem they have are not external, I mean, not the dirt sticking on the post, but the problem with the design or internal. How much dirt can stick on the post? I run it without the boot, and on Christmas day, I rode on a muddy trail, GD still work even with some dirt on it. The seal is pretty good.

A friend of mine kept the boot on, when she opened it, lots of dirt in it. But her GD has been working perfectly even with dirt inside the boot. It can be a dirt trap somehow. Now she runs it without the boot.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast