Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I never thought about cutting the boot off till I read your ^^^ reply. Yesterday I went ahead and did it and it does look much better. I also noticed that it seems a bit easier to come down, but that could just be in my head. Thanks

mtbr member
    I just installed the GD Turbo LP on my bike. Wow...what a difference. Now I don't have to compromise with seat hieght anymore. I don't see all the fuss about the boot, it works. The switch could use improvement and I'll wait for the new one to come from GD. Get one...you won't regret.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    If anyone is interested in trading a 31.6 GD LP for a 31.6 Reverb Stealth, shoot me a PM!

mtbr member
    I'll throw in my recommendation for the GD. I just bought my third one for a new bike, my oldest one has never been touched in the 7 years I've had it. The other one which I left on the bike I sold was 3 years old and had one issue, GD fixed it n/c even though it was two years past the warranty date. My new one has the 1" down feature which is perfect for pedaling through those uber technical sections without dropping all the way down. Yeah, they're somewhat "low tech" compared to the new posts on the market but their simplicity is why they're so reliable. I've often thought about trying their competitors but the reliability is hit or miss on most of them, it's one more component I don't have time to mess with. For disclosure sake it takes a little practice to find the middle detent on the multi position posts but there's no leaking seals, no bleeding or changing shock oil weight for the temperatures, no creeping up or down.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tudor View Post
    I was stoked to discover that GD sell inside tube sections with a variety of different drop setting for only $30 so you don't have to buy an entirely new post if you feel you've got the wrong drop option(s).

Hope this helps
    It does help - I've been thinking my 2" initial drop is too much, and I've wanted to try out 1" instead. Thank you,
    Colin

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Considering getting the Turbo LP with multiposition 2/5 drop. My question to you guys using the multiposition is easy is it to find the 2" position? Majority of use will probably between fully up and mid position, occasionally full 5" drop. Thx

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Cope View Post
    Considering getting the Turbo LP with multiposition 2/5 drop. My question to you guys using the multiposition is easy is it to find the 2" position? Majority of use will probably between fully up and mid position, occasionally full 5" drop. Thx
    Hey Mr. Cope,

I have the 2" / 5" drop on my AM bike and don't have any problems finding the mid position. That said I'm old, don't race and do everything at a deliberate, if enthusiastic, pace.

Good luck with your purchase!

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

Chris Bling
    I personally found the 2 inch drop to be a little too much drop to be able to get the power through the techy section.s I ended up getting the 1 inch drop and am much more happy.

If the 2 inch drop is anything like the 1 inch, its super easy to get into that dropped position
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated!!

mtbr member
    Got mine two weeks ago. Multi 4 in, up, 1 down and down. Couldent be happier with it. The 1 inch drop is perfect for me, I would imagine the 2 would be a pain to pedal.

Keep on Rockin...
    I wish they made the GD in a set-back post.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I just installed a GD Turbo LP, multiposition 1" and 4". I really like how it operates, it might not be the smoothest but just seems to work. I'm glad I got the 1" drop as it is great to pedal on flowy decents and on very technical climbs. I think 2" would be too much for me. I'm still getting used to the 4" drop, but I'm feeling more comfortable every ride.

The only thing that I don't like is that installing the cable facing backwards (as the manual specifies) makes it rub against the tire when the suspension is fully compressed. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Ive got the classic and run it "backwards" from the website pics which makes no difference in operation. On my bike it's just a cleaner cable routing, as long as cable and housing are properly set it shouldntnt matter. Is flipping the post the other direction an option?

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sancycling View Post
    I just installed a GD Turbo LP, multiposition 1" and 4". I really like how it operates, it might not be the smoothest but just seems to work. I'm glad I got the 1" drop as it is great to pedal on flowy decents and on very technical climbs. I think 2" would be too much for me. I'm still getting used to the 4" drop, but I'm feeling more comfortable every ride.

The only thing that I don't like is that installing the cable facing backwards (as the manual specifies) makes it rub against the tire when the suspension is fully compressed. Any suggestions?
    Hi Mr. sancycling,

Gravity Dropper has a "noodle" that you can purchase from them for a few dollars that will fix that problem. You can see it on the picture of my bike:

Gravity Dropper Turbo LP-michaels-bike-003.jpg

Good luck with your new purchase!

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    That noodle might help in my case. I'll contact GD. Thanks for the suggestion.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    That noodle might help in my case. I'll contact GD. Thanks for the suggestion.
    you can searh ebay for "v brake noodle" . and can take off the boot too, looks better.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I had a 3" GD Classic years ago. It had a little play in it, nothing too bad. Are any of you guys having issues with play on the longer drop GD Turbo's?

mtbr member
    GD, the AK-47 of dropper posts.

mtbr member
    I had a 3" GD Classic years ago. It had a little play in it, nothing too bad. Are any of you guys having issues with play on the longer drop GD Turbo's?
    None, but mine is 4 weeks old

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by masterofnone View Post
    Is flipping the post the other direction an option?
    It is, but I've read that the post is more likely to snap if you run the cable coming out of the front

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by colin1 View Post
    It is, but I've read that the post is more likely to snap if you run the cable coming out of the front
    I dont know where that info came from but I wouldnt believe it for a second. On their website it specifically says you can run it facing either direction.

mtbr member
    I dont know where that info came from but I wouldnt believe it for a second. On their website it specifically says you can run it facing either direction.
    Peep this post from Stripes and you'll see what I mean - I didn't want to take that chance with my ass, yadadadig?

How are Gravity Droppers holding up under Clydesdales?

Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    The cable is facing forward here. If you run the post with the cable backwards, this doesn't happen.

I snapped a new post in less than a year because I ran the cable facing forward. GD doesn't document it, but when I called them to warranty the post (no problems, btw), they said run it with the cable facing forward.

My previous GD (27.2) was run forward facing for years with zero problems.

mtbr member
    It's stated on their website that running the holes at the back is better for clydes. Of course it is stronger to have the holes on the side that doesn't have all the pulling stresses from the riders weight. It's what I've been doing for 5 months, 260lb no problems. Got a shimano brake noodle too, work perfectly. No boot either.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Mine is 5yrs old still have no problems with it at all.
    "It Is What It Is" Phil 4:13
    B-Ray Da Beast

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    One thing that I don't like about GD is the control lever. I heard or read that GD was working on a new ergonomic lever.
    Just in case you don't know the trick :

Gravity Dropper Turbo LP-r0031868.jpg

Use a right lever on the left side of the bar (or vice-versa).
    You can action it with your thumb, and it's protected when you fall.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast