mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Gravity Dropper play in middle positon

Top cap is tightened properly. Post is lubed. In the middle position there's a similar amount of play as to when then top cap is too loose and it's in the upper position. When I put in the middle position the top cap is much looser than when it's in the upper position. Any ideas?

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny View Post
    Top cap is tightened properly. Post is lubed. In the middle position there's a similar amount of play as to when then top cap is too loose and it's in the upper position. When I put in the middle position the top cap is much looser than when it's in the upper position. Any ideas?

Sounds as if maybe the middle hole in the inner post is wallowed out a bit. Maybe just needs a new inner post. Easy swap - sounds as if you know enough about the posts to be able to do that.

The company sells parts direct, if they won't just send you a new one anyhow.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    Sounds as if maybe the middle hole in the inner post is wallowed out a bit. Maybe just needs a new inner post. Easy swap - sounds as if you know enough about the posts to be able to do that.

The company sells parts direct, if they won't just send you a new one anyhow.
    That's my only guess too. Weird, cause it's about 10 days old.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    That's my only guess too. Weird, cause it's about 10 days old.
    May have just been drilled/bored out a bit too large to start with.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    May have just been drilled/bored out a bit too large to start with.
    GD customer support is top notch. My husband's GD developed a hairline crack in the main tube and they replaced it under warranty, even though it's 3-4 years old. It was creaking and we couldn't figure out where the creaking was coming from. Sent it to them to take apart and find out the problem and they sent it back to us the same day they fixed it.

Give them a call. I don't see any reason they won't send you the replacement part if you don't mind doing the work yourself.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

T_E
    mtbr member

I have the same issue

Penny - Did you get your issue resolved? I have the same problem where it has a play in the middle position and when you push the saddle it makes a clicking sound. It has also a little play in the down position but I'm most concern in the middle position.

Let me know. Thanks
    It's a chronic addiction

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Just take your whole gravity dropper apart to see what the culprit is. Takes like 5 minutes. If the problem can't be solved send it back. After 5 years I sent mine back for routine service and it came back looking like a new one

T_E
    mtbr member
    Thanks Chris. I called GD today about the play in the middle position and was told it is normal since it's mechanical and the middle hole is drilled/bore a bit bigger than the up and down holes. He said if the play is just 1/16 of an inch, it's ok.

Not sure what to think of that since it's brand new. It's a little annoying since you hear the clicking noise when you pedal. Oh well.
    It's a chronic addiction

mtbr member
    I think most all dropping seatposts will have small amount of play, seems to come with the territory for every design out there in one way or another. That said a lot of play is disconcerting and the clicking noise is down right annoying (I hate creaks, ticks, clicks, and squawks).

Just a thought...have your checked your saddle? I thought my GD was malfunctioning and turns our my very worn and flexing more than it should (not the rails, the actual saddle). A new saddle made the creaks go away. YMMV, but might we worth a shot.

T_E
    mtbr member
    Thanks ebeer. Saddle is in good shape. Mine's a GD Turbo. Here's the excerpts from GD about Troubleshooting:

Post has developed play up-down play while in the UP position

Note: A small amount of play is required in the DOWN and MIDDLE (multi position posts) position. If some play has developed in the UP position, this can be corrected.

Lift up the bottom portion of the protective boot and tighten item (#52) turn clockwise. REPEAT until you feel just a small amount of play up and down in the post. (push down on the saddle, and up pull up to feel for play) Caution: Overtightening the cap will eliminate the play but will cause other issues such as not locking in the up position or getting stuck in the up position. More detail can be found on this under the maintenance section (proper position of top cap #52)
    It's a chronic addiction

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    I never found the play in the middle position to be an issue when riding. It's not like I spend much time there pedaling.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    A certain amount of play is to be expected, but an email to gd wouldn't be a bad idea, their cs seems to be excellent. I just sent them a post that's about 3 years old with an issue and they offered to fix it n/c, how's that for great cs?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I just learned to live with the play... headphones help.