mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Gravity dropper classic - butt bump to raise

I have a Kind Shock now and like it but I am looking for a post for a second bike that needs to be in 27.2 and don't want to drop $375 on this post. My worry is that the GD Classic requires a bump/tap from your butt in order to raise it back to the top. My KS will stick sometimes if I happened to slam it down too hard. In these cases it is sometimes difficult to be in a good position to bump/tap the post with my butt to get it to rise as it requires good timing of the pedal stroke, trail features, etc.

My Q is, will I end up hating the GD Classic or do you just get used to it. I'd love to get the KS Lev but that ain't gonna happen at that price. Anyone care to share their feedback on the GD as compared to a KS or similar post?

Thanks

mtbr member
    If you can get a turbo it's has no need of the bum tap, I much prefer it to the standard.

Otherwise, the GD only has two (or three) pre set positions and it's the most reliable dropper post ever. Really the biggest difference in use is being limited to up/down or up/middle/down.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    FTS, thanks for sharing your thoughts. The pre-set positions doesn't really concern me. I almost always have my post either up for climbing or down for everything else. It's just the butt tap that concerns me. The turbo was an option bu I can get the classic for $200 and all the others are much more expensive. I'll see if I can find the turbo for a close price.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    mnigro...PM sent

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    My GD classic never sticked. And I do not bump. Just sit on it, move lever, it pops up as you unweight it.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    I've got a GD classic, a kindhsock, and had a reverb for 4 months (easily the worst of the 3, it was so unreliable).

The but-tap is no big deal.
    If you're going to raise your seat, it's usually because you want to sit down.
    So you just sit first then raise, but-tap accomplished!

The quick return of the GD is also a bonus. My 3yr old kindhsock take 2-3 pedal strokes to fully extend... probably due for an overhaul!

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Not a big deal at all, it becomes automatic, you dont even notice that your doing it...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I have a Classic since 05 and has yet to be service or even cable change after being on three different bikes with almost daily use,also have the Turbo which needed a significant amount or service and care,as of now the cable connection into seatpost has pulled away and now just sits,second time this has happened.go for the classic more much dependable and carefree.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Interesting. I had concerns about the way the cable comes out of the Turbo. Kept thinking that I'd tear it off somehow. Good to know it can become a problem. I also wasn't taking into consideration the speed that the post raises. My KS is a little slow to rise, always has been. If the GD rises quickly I guess it is t a big deal to have to sit on it before raising it.

I love it... I go to bed conflicted and wake up to these posts which make my decision fairly simple.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The cable on my turbo snapped before. Then I put cable noodle, it has been great, not kinked anymore. I run it without the boot, looks better.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro View Post
    I have a Kind Shock now and like it but I am looking for a post for a second bike that needs to be in 27.2 and don't want to drop $375 on this post. My worry is that the GD Classic requires a bump/tap from your butt in order to raise it back to the top. My KS will stick sometimes if I happened to slam it down too hard. In these cases it is sometimes difficult to be in a good position to bump/tap the post with my butt to get it to rise as it requires good timing of the pedal stroke, trail features, etc.

My Q is, will I end up hating the GD Classic or do you just get used to it. I'd love to get the KS Lev but that ain't gonna happen at that price. Anyone care to share their feedback on the GD as compared to a KS or similar post?

Thanks
    The butt-bump to raise it has been a non-issue for me. As someone else mentioned, if you want to raise the seat to pedal seated, then it is going to be an OK situation to butt-tap the saddle.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

Never enough time to ride
    Never minded the butt bump on either of my Classics. It's one of those rare parts that just plain works, and keeps working. I pull mine apart once a year and put a bit of Slick Honey on the shaft and bushings and call it good. Wouldn't trade it for anything, and I did try a Reverb, broke it twice in three months...put the GD back on...

happy trails...

squish
    Get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Yep, GD Classic on the way. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    +1 for the GDC. It's so simple and just plain works. You can't beat the reliability, parts availability, customer service, plus you can service it at home with no special tools. The butt bump is hardly an issue, it takes almost no pressure to activate it and once you get used to it, it becomes second nature.

mtbr member
    +Another for the GD. Great product, lasts for a long time with minimal maintenance.
    Check out my You Tube Channel

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    I My 3yr old kindhsock take 2-3 pedal strokes to fully extend... probably due for an overhaul!
    Wow, an overhaul or ya need to put a bigger chainring on the front

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    Wow, an overhaul or ya need to put a bigger chainring on the front
    Longer cranks might fix it too

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Gd classic rocks! No issue with butt bump and the thing is indestructible