mtbr member

Got new bike - Stumpjumper Elite - destroyed GXP BB

Heya folks!

About 20 days ago I got myself a Stumpjumper, Elite version. Has Brain, woo hoo!

Went for 3 rides, not so rough but still some mud and water entered GXP Bottom Bracket that comes as default. I believe I destroyed some bearings (I can hear pretty loud clicking when I pedal), and massive amount of dirt entered the BB causing crazy noise like I am crushing stones.

What - the - hell? 3 rides?

Googling for GXP BB, and checking MTBR Reviews section I found out that noone has anything nice to say about them, they are just, 'scuse my French ... crap.

Local Specialized shop where I bought bike replaced the BB so I could ride on, but I do not expect it to last long. I already ordered from Enduro Seals replacement bearings (not whole BB, just bearings). They are 20$, and if they last me a year I would be happy.

What I find really frustrating, and I mean, REALLY FRUSTRATING is that buying a rather expensive bike is not a guarantee that stuff will work. One small ("small") thing can throw everything down the toilet.

Got questions about the rest of the Stumpjumper? Brain? Meaning of life, universe and everything? Shoot.
    Daemon
    "Worship the Machines."
    www.nivas.hr | www.worship.hr

T.W.O
    Water in a BB destroys it. When I got water in my BB it only took a minute or two for it to start whistling. Luckily, I was able to take it to my LBS and they did a BB overhaul on it. They stripped it down as much as possible and cleaned, dried and relubed the BB and crank. This only cost $10 for me, which was a bargain because I didn't have the time, nor the patience to deal with it.

I learned a valuable lesson that day and will never take it out in conditions involving severe amounts of water.

------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

Capricious youth...
    I think sometimes people forget that their bikes need maintenance. Cleaning the chain and hosing the bike down after a ride doesn't leave the bike running in tip-top performance. It really does need regularly maintenance and full tear-downs.

Bumms about your BB dude, but it happens.
    Meh.

mtbr member
    Ye, maintenance is important. I do agree. I take my bike(s) to the shop at least once or twice a year for the guys to do the magic.

But this is insane, 3 rides and BB collapsed? The bike was properly (I guess...) set up before I rode it out of the shop. But, there is always the possibility of manufacturing error or something like that.

Ah well. Awaiting Enduro.
    Daemon
    "Worship the Machines."

Capricious youth...
    Could be manufacturing error. Could be improperly tightened cranks or improperly tightened BB.

Hopefully the Enduro stuff will solve your problemos, man. That sucks. I know if my BB on my Stumpy poops out that soon, I'll be pissed. But I have done 3 rides on it already, and so far so good.
    Meh.

It's all about the FSR!
    Quote Originally Posted by pfox90
    Water in a BB destroys it. When I got water in my BB it only took a minute or two for it to start whistling. Luckily, I was able to take it to my LBS and they did a BB overhaul on it. They stripped it down as much as possible and cleaned, dried and relubed the BB and crank. This only cost $10 for me, which was a bargain because I didn't have the time, nor the patience to deal with it.

I learned a valuable lesson that day and will never take it out in conditions involving severe amounts of water.

I told you not to ride that, but you didn't listen. Glad that you got the BB fixed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    are you replacing the stumpy with an Enduro?

mtbr member
    Hmm, sounds to me like it was missing some spacers or seals or wasn't properly torqued... Otherwise thats absurd.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    As most bikes come assembled and the shop just tosses on the wheels and sells them, you can't trust an initial build. My new xc bike started having headset issues after 10 hours of dry riding. Guess what? Whoever put it together forgot to put in the lower dust seal! It was the second issue I found with the bike as the stock Shimano bottom bracket had no grease at all (I switched on new cranks and a gxp BB before I rode it the first time).

Honestly though, if there's some light grease on the threads there's not a whole lot that can go bad with a GXP so either you got more water in it than you thought or it was bad from the start. We used to drill a small hole to drain the BB on our bikes back in the day, now I remove and dry it every time I go for a really wet ride. All it takes is one real soaking and a bit of grit to get in there and you get to spend $35 on a new one. Lame after just 3 rides though, that always sucks!

T.W.O
    Quote Originally Posted by photodog
    As most bikes come assembled and the shop just tosses on the wheels and sells them, you can't trust an initial build.
    I don't think that is true at all. At least any bike shop worth going to shouldn't be doing this. Hell I even work at Dick's and break down and reassemble the bikes.
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pfox90
    I don't think that is true at all. At least any bike shop worth going to shouldn't be doing this. Hell I even work at Dick's and break down and reassemble the bikes.
    I wish that was universally true (and good for you guys doing it!) but I used to work in the industry and many shops don't take the time. Good shops do check but if he's having problems after 3 rides there's a pretty good chance someone overlooked something. It happens. Do you guys actually pull out the already assembled bottom brackets, re-grease and inspect them? Very few shops go that far (though again, the best do).

As a side note, it was actually pretty fascinating to go to the assembly plants and see thousands of bikes getting put together in assembly lines. It's all about lowering expenses so everyone can make more money and it's far less expensive for a dealer to have their employees making profits fixing flats or tuning rather than re-assembling bikes so I can't blame them too much. After all, it's not like anyone expects a car dealer to re-assemble a car before it's sold but it still sucks when the car has issues!

BLAH BLAH
    Mar 2008
    I was going through them pretty quick myself. I got sick of replacing them and repacked it with Phil Wood grease and made sure to grease everything up for reassembly. Just had it apart Yesterday to check them and after a PNW winter (granted I did much more skiing than biking) they are still smooth and lubricated.
    Whats this line for?

my member
    Dec 2009
    Carried over a Gigga X Pipe w/ Firex on 2 bikes now w/ no problems. Well I did have to tighten it back up once, but I strike the cranks/pedals hard. Been through 2 set of pedals with it.

Maybe the new ones suck, do you have Truvativ cranks?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RE50
    are you replacing the stumpy with an Enduro?
    No no, the heavy duty bearings that I will put into my BB are Enduro Seals. http://www.enduroforkseals.com/

I will first try just with bearings, as they are cheap, if that fails too quickly, I will get whole BB from them or Chriss King.
    Daemon
    "Worship the Machines."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeerhillJDOG
    Maybe the new ones suck, do you have Truvativ cranks?
    CRANKSET: Custom SRAM Carbon S-2200, 10-speed XC Trail double, GXP spindle.

As SRAM is from this year branding everything (high end) with SRAM i am not sure if it is Truvativ and then SRAM just slapped their logo on them. Chainrings are Truvativ.
    Daemon
    "Worship the Machines."

Swimming thru the Smog
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon[CRO]
    CRANKSET: Custom SRAM Carbon S-2200, 10-speed XC Trail double, GXP spindle.

As SRAM is from this year branding everything (high end) with SRAM i am not sure if it is Truvativ and then SRAM just slapped their logo on them. Chainrings are Truvativ.
    its all from the same company, dont think quality is going to change because someone changed the logo on the crank.

the dude probably rode on flooded trails, not uncommon for this time of year. go to the lbs and get it fixed.