mtbr member
    Jul 2006

got my giro switchblade

Well, i lucked out and found a brand new Giro switchblade on ebay. Picked it up today at the UPS station and I can't wait to try it on tomorrow morning. well, i'm just excited about that and wanted to share with you guys.

mtbr member
    um, you're the guy who outbid me.

Ant

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    oh snap.. freals? well, mah bad dude.. I've been looking for one for a pretty long time and couldn't pass it up. i ended up paying paying close to its suggested price but it's worth it IMO.

sorry again dude.. have you tried getting the Met Helmets?

mtbr member
    Don't want to burst your bubble but...are you aware that Giro discontinued production of the Switchblade and why? Hope you're not planning to do anything other than XC riding with it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by lebikerboy
    Don't want to burst your bubble but...are you aware that Giro discontinued production of the Switchblade and why? Hope you're not planning to do anything other than XC riding with it.
    yeah, I'm not big on full on downhills and jumps yet! But i noticed myself going faster everytime i start descending and would like some extra protection in case of a mishap. I appreciate the warning and no offense taken on your comment.

mtbr member
    Hey, lebiker, do you KNOW why Giro discontinued it, or do you just think you know?

The Giro Switchblade is, to date, the best rendition of an aggro-xc\trail\am or whatever you choose to call it type of helmet.

Good purchase, lakasbraso, altho I wouldn't have paid as much as you (obviously). No need to apologize.

Ant

mtbr member
    It was discontinued because the jaw piece had a nasty habit of seperating from the helmet upon SEVERE impact.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    they stoped making it becouse the production costs were too high and it didn't sell so well (initially it costed about 240), so simply unprofitable.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    It's the same that MET para-chute, no ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by papack
    It's the same that MET para-chute, no ?
    yes, same concept behind these two helmets. But since they don't sell the Parachute here in the US i'd never really heard much about it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    There is nothing wrong with the Switch Blade. At all. I have one and it is a great helmet. It was never intended to be a freeride helmet, but just to offer a little more protection than a standard xc helmet. This is exactly what it does. Nothing more, nothing less. It is great for overgrown trails where branches tend to smack you in the face. Of course, the face piece might come loose if you case a thirty foot double and face plant into the ground. This is not what the helmet is designed for in the first place.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    thanks for feedback ronny.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I have one for 4 years and i agree with Ronny. I live in Thailand and our trails are pretty wild and dense. The Switchblade does a good job of protecting my face from branches smacking my mouth and face. Since Giro does not produce this helmet anymore. I am tempted to keep it as a collectors item.

Slave to the grind

Hey Lakasbraso!

nice handle

you pump iron? hehehe....
    Let it flow, let yourself go, slow and low, that is the tempo.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cherrybomber
    nice handle

you pump iron? hehehe....
    I lift a little but my actual translation of my SN is Armstrong in Filipino.

So i used the helmet this weekend and i didn't really feel any difference from a regular helmet. It was pretty hot so the extra shade provided by the helmet was very nice. The lower portion of the helmet did not present any types of visual disturbance at all.. Well, I'm very happy with it and wish that Giro puts em back in production.

Slave to the grind

there ya go

i was wondering what the strong arms were about.

silly me..

hope the switchblade works out for you.. gorgeous helmet really. im still wondering about the deviant myself. but im wondering if that chin guard is going to break open and stab me.. oh well.. ill just wait for some more feedback.
    Let it flow, let yourself go, slow and low, that is the tempo.