mtbr member

Good wheelset and drivetrain for 250lbr

Looking for advise on an affordable wheel and drivetrain option. I am a heavy and abusive rider, but relatively (re)new(ed) to the sport so not alot of up to date component experience.

Thanks

for 26" QR/disc

mtbr member

Good wheelset and drivetrain for 250lbr

Transition makes a real good wheel set in three different rim widths. 25 28 32 and maybe still 36. The 25 is reasonably light and priced at around $300. I owned a set of 36s years ago and a buddy is currently riding a pair of 28s. They take a solid beating. Take a look at Transition Bikes website.

turtles make me hot
    How affordable and what kind of bike?

I weigh 255 and ride Stan's Flows in 29". They'll be slightly stiffer and stronger in 26.

Whenever I build a bike for a friend who wants to keep prices in check, I go SLX cranks, XT cassette and Sram X7 shifters and rear derailleur. Depending on how cheap, either use a Hope Pro2 rear hub for around 190 bucks or a Shimano M529 for 45 but the Shimano is only 135 qr.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Flows wheels are best price and relatively light. If weight isn't a concern, Azonic Outlaws can't be beat. Super strong and cheap. For drivetrain, SLX is awesome stuff for reasonable price. I have ridden Deore cranks that came on a bike and they were great, but I wouldn't go lower than SLX or X7 for shifters and derailleurs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'm at 200+ as well. I found I destroy a lot of freehubs on boutique wheels like Mavics, etc. I'd advise investing in something a little burlier. Hope Pro 2 EVO hubs are good, fairtly affordable but make sure you upgrade to the steel freehub body. These hubs are nice as you can easily convert to different hub standards like 9mm, 15mm or 20mm thru axle in the front and 9mm QR, 9mm bolt on or 142 x 12mm thru axle out back. Thru axle and bolt on options are good for heavier, aggressive riders as they stiffen things up nicely compared to 9mm QR axles.

For rims, I've had good success with both the WTB Frequency i23 and the Stans Flow EX. They are a little wider (23mm internal) which is a benefit if you choose to go tubeless as it minimizes burping, etc. When properly hand laced by a good shop these wheels hold up well.

mtbr member
    I'm around 250 and ride Transition Revolution32's. I have no issue's with the wheelset's and I'm not nice to them. They have been great and I'd get another set in a heartbeat.
    13 Banshee Rune, Pushed Fox 36Float RC2, I9 Blunt35's

T1 barcode, pitchfork's, Hazard light's and profile's

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Check out the Spank Spike Race28 or a set of Outlaws. I started on a set of Outlaws then picked up a set of Race28 wheels at the sea otter. So far I really like them and they are affordable. As far as drive train I started with SRAM X9. The Race28's can be fit with skewers or through axle and also can be upgraded to XX1 if you chose to at a later date.