mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Good MTB's on the market.

Hi! New to this site, I recently have been urging to get a bike to be more active. Without going into details I am urgently awaiting a bike to really kickstart my activities and whatnot.

So the question I want to ask is which Mountain Bike I should get, I want to ride to the gym, which is paved roads but I also want to go out on trails and in the bush which would have me going on the highways to get to those locations.

Im at a conundrum currently on which bike to buy... I want something solid, good rep, reliable and worth the money.

My budget is PREFERABLY 500 Canadian, Lower the better but am willing to go higher for a quality bike that is really worth the jump in price.

I know this is asked a lot and whatnot but before I state the bikes im looking at I want to say I have looked far and wide on the internet for information on Mountain bikes and which are the best and whatnot, to little avail not much has been found. I will look over this site more thoroughly though as I have not gone through all the forums.

The best way to get a answer though is to ask, right?

So the bikes ive been looking at are the "Diamondback 2014 overdrive sport" I like this one, it seems to have a high rep and for only 600 bucks american. I was about to hop on the bandwagon to buy it but realized I can not find it ANYWHERE in Canada.... Like no where.. which leaves me to buy it and ship it from America to Canada, only problem is that it doubles the price.. Not counting 14% tax thats around 1100 bucks without any accessories. A little too much for me when it only should cost $650.

So another model I was looking at was the Trek X Caliber 7, 8, 9. It seems to be good although it is around 1400 dollars for the bike itself... Which once reading up I found for only 100 dollars more I could get a superior model in itself.

The Trek Superfly 5... Around 1500 bucks.

So here is my delema, I am willing to spend that much, although very hesitantly and would need to budget quite a bit more. Its around 1000 bucks over my comfort range but it seems worth it although it would leave me at quite a disadvantage on funds.

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this, maybe a better model, cheaper, any input at all.

I should mention this is a First real good bike I am buying. So I dont want to go really high and figure I dont like biking. Although I dont want to get a piece of junk which I will have to upgrade because I love biking p.s. I highly prefer a 2014 model, unless there isent much of a difference between 2013 and 2014.

So I think all questions have been asked. if you recommend a model I will check it out and see if it is available around me.

If anyone has a good online store for purchasing bikes, preferably in Canada as I dont need to spend 500 bucks in shipping and Customs Fees.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    what brands do your local bike shops carry
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member

Good MTB's on the market.

Go to your local shops and ride a few in your price range. You won't be going wrong with Trek, Giant, Specialized or Kona just to name a few. Your local shops will be selling off current inventory to make way for new stock. You might end up with a $1500 bike for under $1000.

mtbr member
    what Hangtime said
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Well, I was in your shoes about 2 years ago. And I ended up buying a Jamis from Sportcheck, you can find them discounted at this time of the year, under 500 tax in. Similar to the older Trek hardtails. It allowed me to get in shape and to ride road and trails. XC style, no problem, but soon I realized I loved the sport and wanted more. It is when I sold it and bought a FS Trek Fuel EX which I'm in love it, fits me and my riding style. But this was the 2499$ bike that I would have never bought to start with.

Don't know if this approach fits you but it worked for me. If I was to waste 1500 for a bike without knowing what I wanted I would have lost more money when shopping for the bike I really wanted. Just my 0.02

Quote Originally Posted by Killerdoom14 View Post
    Hi! New to this site, I recently have been urging to get a bike to be more active. Without going into details I am urgently awaiting a bike to really kickstart my activities and whatnot.

So the question I want to ask is which Mountain Bike I should get, I want to ride to the gym, which is paved roads but I also want to go out on trails and in the bush which would have me going on the highways to get to those locations.

Im at a conundrum currently on which bike to buy... I want something solid, good rep, reliable and worth the money.

My budget is PREFERABLY 500 Canadian, Lower the better but am willing to go higher for a quality bike that is really worth the jump in price.

I know this is asked a lot and whatnot but before I state the bikes im looking at I want to say I have looked far and wide on the internet for information on Mountain bikes and which are the best and whatnot, to little avail not much has been found. I will look over this site more thoroughly though as I have not gone through all the forums.

The best way to get a answer though is to ask, right?

So the bikes ive been looking at are the "Diamondback 2014 overdrive sport" I like this one, it seems to have a high rep and for only 600 bucks american. I was about to hop on the bandwagon to buy it but realized I can not find it ANYWHERE in Canada.... Like no where.. which leaves me to buy it and ship it from America to Canada, only problem is that it doubles the price.. Not counting 14% tax thats around 1100 bucks without any accessories. A little too much for me when it only should cost $650.

So another model I was looking at was the Trek X Caliber 7, 8, 9. It seems to be good although it is around 1400 dollars for the bike itself... Which once reading up I found for only 100 dollars more I could get a superior model in itself.

The Trek Superfly 5... Around 1500 bucks.

So here is my delema, I am willing to spend that much, although very hesitantly and would need to budget quite a bit more. Its around 1000 bucks over my comfort range but it seems worth it although it would leave me at quite a disadvantage on funds.

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this, maybe a better model, cheaper, any input at all.

I should mention this is a First real good bike I am buying. So I dont want to go really high and figure I dont like biking. Although I dont want to get a piece of junk which I will have to upgrade because I love biking p.s. I highly prefer a 2014 model, unless there isent much of a difference between 2013 and 2014.

So I think all questions have been asked. if you recommend a model I will check it out and see if it is available around me.

If anyone has a good online store for purchasing bikes, preferably in Canada as I dont need to spend 500 bucks in shipping and Customs Fees.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    From what I understand the common ones are "Trek, Giant, Specialized, Rocky Mountain, Scott, Norco, Transition, Intense, Banshee, Cannondale, Ritchey" Those are the main ones I have been able to find. From what I hear most are good brands.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Yes, I know. I just feel pretty bad having to go in and test ride 10+ bikes. I feel that would not be taken kindly if I was touching all there merchandise.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Just seems like most of them are from the U.S. Which would imply 300+ shipping fees and 200+ customs. An example is Amazon.ca, there seems to be super shitty brands on there, but the .com is plentiful.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I suppose that is true, I really like the idea, but even going into my bike shop the lowest price bike they had was 400, and like 3-4 around 500 everything else was just skyrocketing from that point on.

Reading your post does clarify it and give me a lot of things to think about. Its a win win if I get a "cheap" 500 dollar bike. Although its hard to call 500 bucks cheap. Then I can get a feel for what I would want and need in a future bike.

Its always easier to get a new bike when you have one. Then you can take your time and not be rushing because you have one.

Thanks man, I really appreciate it.

mtbr member
    id probably get one of these...

Specialized = Specialized Bicycle Components

Trek = 3500 Disc - Trek Bicycle

Giant = ATX 27.5 2 (2015) | Giant Bicycles | United States

id stay away from "path" or "hybrid" bikes etc, and get a real mountain bike, like the ones a linked to. oh, and forget full suspension bikes, theres nothing thats not junk for $500, new anyway

and id stay away from 29" wheels. a $500 bike will be heavy enough. in your price range, most of the big brand bikes will perform pretty much the same.

those should get your feet wet/give you an idea. and id start reading all the mountain bike magazine reviews online that you can, even bikes that cost $10,000+. you might learn something you can apply later
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

Afric Pepperbird
    And remember, "all mountain biking" and "all around mountain biking" are two completely different creatures.

Just a PSA on my behalf.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    If you have a friend who is bike knowledgeable and could go with you, I would suggest buying used with that kind of budget.
    If not, then an LBS is probably best.

Not sure what city/province you are in but there is probably a Mountain Equipment Co-op in a metropolitan area where you could test ride one of their German branded Ghost bikes, as they have hardtails from $800-1200 CAD. If not, they do offer shipping at a reasonable price but they will not ship to rural areas.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Mec.ca has very aggressive prices on Ghost bikes, better than CRC.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    ^ Apprieciate all of the comments further from my last post before this. Have taken them all into consideration!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Banshee = totally Canadian
    if that's what you're looking for.
    Call em up tell them what your looking for they are pretty cool.
    Who knows what they got laying around to fit your budget. (demo, discontinued, whatever)