mtbr member

Is this a good deal for trek ex8 09, first AM bike.

Buying a 2009 trek ex8 (first dual Suspension) for 1100? Is that overpriced or is that ok?

Here are some pics, guy says both suspensions have been serviced by fox recently and looks like aftermarket wheels. Not sure if thats to much for a 4 year old bike, almost 5.

Seems like it is in good shape.

Name:  00q0q_cyiFmiPZ5GY_600x450.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  20.4 KBIs this a good deal for trek ex8 09, first AM bike.-00i0i_vq3doqacmm_600x450.jpgIs this a good deal for trek ex8 09, first AM bike.-01111_567cn6shzua_600x450.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Not bad, see if you could get a bit of a discount though.

I just got my gf a 2011 Trek Superfly 100 for $1,400. It has a carbon frame, Fox fork and shock, full new XT drivetrain/brakes (came with SRAM X9/Avid brakes). The tubeless setup was ghetto and leaking so I got new tires and fixed it, new chain, new brakes and pads, and replaced the seals on the fork and shocks, bud I'd have done a lot of that on a used bike anyway for peace of mind. Chain and brake pads were all that it NEEDED if I was ok running tubes, the rest was preference.

So the one I got needed a little work but it's 2 years newer with a carbon frame for $300 more, so you're not too far off.

mtbr member
    Hit it first, then we can see where to put the landing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtailrider2013 View Post
    That's a pretty good reference. Thanks man, I'm also looking at a 2011 trek remedy. Seems to be in good condition with a lot of upgrades. For 1500,i know there are a lot of posts on this, but for me to grow into which do you guys think is a better buy? Definitely digging the bigger more aggressive stuff more and more as I progress. But, demo'd a fuel ex8 and it just feels good.

What do you guys think?

mtbr member
    I already have a 29 hardtail, will I feel held back in a year if I get the fuel ex8 is what I'm worried about.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    Not bad, see if you could get a bit of a discount though.

I just got my gf a 2011 Trek Superfly 100 for $1,400. It has a carbon frame, Fox fork and shock, full new XT drivetrain/brakes (came with SRAM X9/Avid brakes). The tubeless setup was ghetto and leaking so I got new tires and fixed it, new chain, new brakes and pads, and replaced the seals on the fork and shocks, bud I'd have done a lot of that on a used bike anyway for peace of mind. Chain and brake pads were all that it NEEDED if I was ok running tubes, the rest was preference.

So the one I got needed a little work but it's 2 years newer with a carbon frame for $300 more, so you're not too far off.
    That's a great deal, where from man?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocke View Post
    That's a pretty good reference. Thanks man, I'm also looking at a 2011 trek remedy. Seems to be in good condition with a lot of upgrades. For 1500,i know there are a lot of posts on this, but for me to grow into which do you guys think is a better buy? Definitely digging the bigger more aggressive stuff more and more as I progress. But, demo'd a fuel ex8 and it just feels good.

What do you guys think?
    Get the Remedy! Especially if you want something a bit more aggressive that can take a bit more as you progress, the Fuel is more of a Trail bike than a All Mountain. Hope this helps! What model is it?

mtbr member
    Get the Remedy! Especially if you want something a bit more aggressive that can take a bit more as you progress, the Fuel is more of a Trail bike than a All Mountain. Hope this helps! What model is it?
    Its a trek Remedy 7 2011, with a upgraded x9 rear derailuer, upgraded dropper seat post. It has a quarter size dent on the bottom bracket is what he is saying, not sure if that is going to affect anything?

Thanks for the response man, let me know what you think?

mtbr member
    Its a trek Remedy 7 2011, with a upgraded x9 rear derailuer, upgraded dropper seat post. It has a quarter size dent on the bottom bracket is what he is saying, not sure if that is going to affect anything?

Thanks for the response man, let me know what you think?
    Ohhh I wouldn't buy a bike with a dent in the frame, even if it's little, it's going to cause weakness and the frame might crack, unless he can get a new frame, get the fuel. Did you want any brand in particular? And what's your budget & type of ridding, maybe I could give you some ideas of other bikes.

mtbr member
    Ohhh I wouldn't buy a bike with a dent in the frame, even if it's little, it's going to cause weakness and the frame might crack, unless he can get a new frame, get the fuel. Did you want any brand in particular? And what's your budget & type of ridding, maybe I could give you some ideas of other bikes.
    I didn't want any brand in particular. My budget looks to be about 1500 max. I just really felt at home on the trek fuel ex8 2011 I demo'd so I was just looking at Treks. Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks man, not going to get it, you are right the dent might lead to future problems.

Just moving from XC to more an aggressive type of riding AM, just want something that I won't feel held back on, and that I can grow with.

Still a newbie though, in my opinion

mtbr member
    A Giant Trance X seems like a bike that would fit you, I have the X1 2013, 140mm of travel, pretty strong frame and just under 30 lbs. Climbs up and down like crazy, it can clearly take some beating, you might want to look those out, and if you can demo one, do it! They really feel good and Giant has the best scpecs for the money in my opinion. A Specialized Stumpjumper FSR could be good too, never owned one, but I heard some good reviews on the 2013 models. Those two bikes have some models under 1500$ new, going used is not a bad idea, you will get a better price for the specs, but checking your LBS might be a good idea, you could get a leftover with a pretty good discount and you get the warrantly wich is always good, and you know that the bike never took a hard crash/never been maintained, etc. To give you a exemple, my budget was 1800$ max, (looked to buy used) but decided to get a new Giant Trance X1 2013 it was 3000$ and my LBS sold it to me for 2150$, so you can get some realy good deals!

mtbr member
    A Giant Trance X seems like a bike that would fit you, I have the X1 2013, 140mm of travel, pretty strong frame and just under 30 lbs. Climbs up and down like crazy, it can clearly take some beating, you might want to look those out, and if you can demo one, do it! They really feel good and Giant has the best socpecs for the money in my opinion. A Specialized Stumpjumper FSR could be good too, never owned one, but I heard some good reviews on the 2013 models. Those two bikes have some models under 1500$ new, going used is not a bad idea, you will get a better price for the specs, but checking your LBS might be a good idea, you could get a leftover with a pretty good discount and you get the warrantly wich is always good, and you know that the bike never took a hard crash/never been maintained, etc. To give you a exemple, my budget was 1800$ max, (looked to buy used) but decided to get a new Giant Trance X1 2013 it was 3000$ and my LBS sold it to me for 2150$, so you can get some realy good deals!
    How did you get your lbs to sell it for almost 1k less?

mtbr member
    negotiated for almost 2 hours lol and paid cash, + it was a small and it was the only one left so he wanted to sell it (since small frames are pretty hard to sell) he also changed the shimano XT crankset to an SLX and removed the dropper post to lower the price. I have to say I was pretty lucky :P so at the end it was about 1800$ + taxes = 2100$, and one week later I decided to get the dropper post and he sold it to me for 100$.

mtbr member
    negotiated for almost 2 hours lol and paid cash, + it was a small and it was the only one left so he wanted to sell it (since small frames are pretty hard to sell) he also changed the shimano XT crankset to an SLX and removed the dropper post to lower the price. I have to say I was pretty lucky :P so at the end it was about 1800$ + taxes = 2100$, and one week later I decided to get the dropper post and he sold it to me for 100$.
    Thats awesome man, let me go check the scene at my bike shop.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    They really feel good and Giant has the best scpecs for the money in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    That's a great deal, where from man?
    Craigslist