mtbr member
    May 2013

Is this a good deal on a Santa Cruz Heckler?

I am looking at getting my first full suspension bike and this '09 Santa Cruz Heckler has caught my eye.

09 Santa Cruz - Heckler - Large

The seller sent me this component list:

Wheels - DT Swiss EX 5.1
    Fr shock - Fox 32 Float 140mm

R shock - Fox Float R

All SRAM X9 components
    All RaceFace and Thompson other stuff.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Hi There!
    If it fit me and it checked out real well, no issues with frame and such I would buy that; I'm partial to Santa Cruz bikes though. Keep in mind it is a single pivot suspension and while Santa Cruz really has the single pivot dialed in, it might cause you second thoughts.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    I donít think he could get any more for it. The price seems fair-ish. Take it for a spin on a TRAIL. If you like it offer 900 settle on 1000. 140mm is not 6 inches, its 5.5, so that is a bit misleading. Its Craigslist haggling is to be expected, say you were looking for a true 6Ē bike. One thing thatís a plus in my eye is the water bottle cage. I doubt he was doing much hucking with a water bottle. That bike probably saw more xc miles than anything else. Also if its true that it was his daughterís bike, chances are it was ridden pretty lightly. NO I am not saying women cant ride hard, just that more often than not they are easier on bikes than dudes. Also if he has a daughter that is old enough to move out, he is probably too old to really beat the crap out of it. Then again I was schooled by a 65 year old once.

mtbr member
    I just recently sold a 2008 Heckler for $1200 with a little better spec, so that's fair. Depends on brakes too because originally I think it came with Juicy 3's and those are junk. I'd say $1000 is fair and if you really want it and it looks good get it.

Warning: that model was notorious for the swing arm cracking and pivot pinch bolts breaking so check for both.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jmallory View Post
    Warning: that model was notorious for the swing arm cracking and pivot pinch bolts breaking so check for both.
    Crap. I was looking at used Roscoe 3 also and found many complaints here for same thing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimatetodd View Post
    Crap. I was looking at used Roscoe 3 also and found many complaints here for same thing.
    It wasn't too much of a problem for me because I bought the new and SC was fully aware of both problems. So when it did happen they took care of me at no cost.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jmallory View Post
    It wasn't too much of a problem for me because I bought the new and SC was fully aware of both problems. So when it did happen they took care of me at no cost.

I would be boned though.

Now I am having massive seconds thoughts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimatetodd View Post
    I would be boned though.

Now I am having massive seconds thoughts.
    I'm sure there are plenty that didn't have the problem and I'm not trying to scare you away because it is an awesome bike but you should be aware. You could call SC and see what their policy might be with problems that are frequent maybe?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    That does not look like an '09, it's a previous generation.
    look at the front of the rear triangle.
    Name:  santa-cruz-heckler-2009-mountain-bike-frame.jpg
Views: 1390
Size:  11.8 KB

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Pretty sweet that his daughter rode a Heckler! That should add a couple points.

I would easily offer a grand. I am not sure if it's an 09' though.

It does look like it's in pretty awesome shape so I would consider it for sure. I looked at a couple of 3-4 year old Hecklers earlier in the year and they were always beaten to ****. Cleaned up but you could tell they were ridden hard.

mtbr member
    Good catch, that is definitely not an 09. The newer swing arm came out in 2007.5 I believe, so that bike is early 2007 or older. I would drop your offer if you are still interested.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks, you guys have steered me clear of this one. Looking at picking up a Reign x1 locally tonight.

Thanks again!