mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Good bike for XC and around $400

I currently have a cheap "wal-mart bike" that I picked up for $15 at a yard sale. I know that this bike will not hold up very long on the trails. I have a budget of up to about $400. I've seen some of walmarts higher end stuff and that seems pretty good. I am not too familiar with bikes and biking but I know the basics. I would like rear suspension but I know that's not really needed, so I will probably be getting a hard tail. I would prefer a new bike but I am willing to go used if it is a good deal. What do you think I should get?? I was looking at the GMC Topkick but people were saying it was to heavy for XC. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Also, I weigh about 140, 15 years old, and I'm 5-11

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Used will be your only option IMO. I'd also save up some more money if possible because even used you won't get much for $400. Mow some lawns, rake some leaves, get an advance on birthday or X-mas money, or do whatever you got to.
    09 Jamis XCT2 Marzocchi RC3 ti forks, XT/XTR drivetrain, Mavic Crossrides/ Kenda Nevegal DTC=29lbs

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I was in a similar situation as you when I first started looking to get a bike. I soon realized that I didn't know anything. You have a lot to learn so just start reading through these forums and do some research. You will realize that a full suspension within your budget is out of the question, but you can get a pretty nice hardtail. The GMC bike is a "department store" bike and I don't think anyone would recommend it here.

After my research and testing, I ended up getting a Gary Fisher Wahoo and I am very happy with it. Some other bikes I considered were the Gary Fisher Advance, Trek 3 series, Forge Sawback 5xx, and Specialized Hardrock. Those all can be within your budget and are good choices to start looking into.

Green Wrencher
    At 15 you will be outgrowing any frame that fits you right now. Have you been sized or researched your size on the net? With just your height I would suggest sitting on a 19-21" frame and seeing how it felt.

I'd suggest an entry hardtail. There are inexpensive choices from online retailers and if you have any mechanical knowhow you can pick up a bikesdirect MTB fairly easily, there are links on this site.
    Dawes Haymaker 1200 for <$400

If you cannot handle the maintenance then a LBS is really the best option.
    Last edited by RDTigger; 04-20-2011 at 02:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I have the Sawback, great bike (frame and components) for the price.