Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Good AM Crank??

mtbr member

Good AM Crank??

Looking to upgrade the crank on my mission 2. Price is not really an issue what do you guys recommend? Is the Hammerschmidt really that great?

Beer Swilling Clyde
    The race face sixc, carbon cranks were up on chainlove today selling for $360, about half off retail. Race face did go belly up recently though so after sale support is a big question mark as of right now. If price isn't an issue, the new xtr trail 2 x 10 cranks look promising too.

mtbr member
    yea i was checkin out the xtr set. I noticed they have it in a 2x10 and a 3x10. What do most people run with an AM setup? Pros cons either way? Im a total noob when it comes to this stuff.

mtbr member
    There are a lot of good options old and new. SLX, Gravity light, Hammerschmidt,XT. Truthfully you can run almost any kind of crank in AM and be fine. I have pretty much only run Shimano cranks, you can't go wrong with SLX, XT, and XTR.

Beer Swilling Clyde

Beer Swilling Clyde
    Quote Originally Posted by ExCactus
    What is the current crankset you are upgrading over? Are there issues with that crankset that you are trying to address or you just want something shiney and new? And if you're a total noob do you need to be spending $300+ on a crankset?

Hey, if he's got the cash to burn, why not, spend away. These are the guys who let poor people like me buy high end parts with two months use for half off retail.

To OP, the difference between 2x and 3x is just the # of chainrings. An AM build typically has 2 rings, but it's really just personal preference, some run a bash with it some not. If you live in an area with lots of climbing followed with downhills you will probably rarely use the big ring so 2 is money. If your typical terrain is mostly flat you may like having that 3rd ring once you get up to speed.

mtbr member
    What is the current crankset you are upgrading over? Are there issues with that crankset that you are trying to address or you just want something shiney and new? And if you're a total noob do you need to be spending $300+ on a crankset?

mtbr member
    if you're a total noob do you need to be spending $300+ on a crankset?
    Excellent question Cactus. Yeah what he said.

mtbr member
    I like my SLX 24/36 for $99 from Competitive Cyclist in December. .
    Last edited by eurospek; 03-31-2011 at 03:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Current crank on my bike is a Truvativ Fire X Giga X Pipe. Its what came on the mission 2. As far as do i need to be spending 300+? Absolutely not. But, i do have extra money now and i wont in the future(gonna be buying a R1 at the end of summer). So i figure upgrade now while i can and not worry about. And i guess when it comes down to it i'm not a complete noob as far as riding is concerned. I own a DB response and have rippin around on that thing for the last 2 years. Im just a noob when it comes bicycle lingo/components. Another thing is my bike is fairly heavy in stock form. So looking to slim it down a little(like to be sub 30lb) and it seems a lot of these better cranksets are a couple hundred grams lighter than there cheaper counter parts. That is with the exception of the hammerschmidt. So now yall know where i stand lol.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by YamiRider1316
    Current crank on my bike is a Truvativ Fire X Giga X Pipe. Its what came on the mission 2. As far as do i need to be spending 300+? Absolutely not. But, i do have extra money now and i wont in the future(gonna be buying a R1 at the end of summer). So i figure upgrade now while i can and not worry about. And i guess when it comes down to it i'm not a complete noob as far as riding is concerned. I own a DB response and have rippin around on that thing for the last 2 years. Im just a noob when it comes bicycle lingo/components.
    Alright, good stuff to know. Just figured I'd ask before you went out and dropped 3 bills when you hadn't even gotten muddy yet So do you find that you need to use your small ring pretty often? Also, is your stock drivetrain a 3x8 or 3x9? If its 3x9 I'd go to a 2x9 or 1x9 based on how much you think you need that small ring, if its 3x8 then really thats the only reason I'd consider going to a 2x10 or 1x10, otherwise its just too much money that you'd be spending on upgrading your whole drivetrain.

With that being said... The weight I found for your cranks was 950g. For reference, the shimano SLX dual ring with bashguard weight is 999g, and that often times is chosen as the standard best bang for your buck crankset for "all mountain." It makes me wonder if the weight of the truvativs is without any chainrings on since its that light, but these are the numbers they give us. The Shimano XT is 900g. I think the saints and RF atlas cranks are both heavier than your current cranks as well I believe. The only way you are going to get lighter (unless truvativ is lieing about the weight/not including BB or chainrings which at this point I suspect) is going to XTR or some carbon cranks. There is no problem with that, but it may be unnecessary.

What do you have in the way of a wheelset, and tires you use? That is where you will notice the most significant weight changes. And if money is really burning a whole in your pocket, what fork do you have on there? You can save a pound or so and get better performance (or at least more adjustability) if it has something like a RS Domain.

mtbr member
    Just picked up a set of Zueltas which should help a lil in the weight department. Gonna run the stock tires which are some heavy wtbs for awhile till i can talk to some locals and see what they are running(any recommendations in this depart.?). Drive train is currently 3x9. Anybody have any personal experience with the Hammerschmidt set up? They had one on a bike at the local shop and the instant shifting is pretty cool. I guess im not to concerned about crank weight i can always shave weight else where. Oh and current fork is a Fox 32 Float RL air. Thank you for all the input everybody this is turning into a great learning experience for myself.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Almost every brand of cranks I've used (FSA, Race Face and Truvativ) I've has various issues from everyday use.

I've consistently found Shimano cranks as the most durable and trouble free. I'm using SLX cranks now and have used Saint cranks in the past. Light, stiff and reliable

Hammerschmidt looks awesome, BTW. If you're gonna drop some cash that's the way to go.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire V1.5
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2005 Trek Bruiser SS

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Just picked up a set of the e*13 dh/am cranks.,~900g with a guide ring so I'll see how that rates in the stiffness dept. Not any lighter than the xt cranks its replacing.

Couldn't find many reviews on it unfortunately.

Blunt Blazer
    Oct 2010
    shimano SLX

mtbr member
    You aren't going to get anything substantially better than SLX at any price. If you want to blow some money, there are a lot better places to do so.

mtbr member
    SLX is a great value. They have held up great for me.

Beer Swilling Clyde
    I agree with those that think the SLX crankset is a good value. This guy is saying cost isn't an issue right now though. If you had 5-600 budgeted for a crankset I doubt anyone would jump on an SLX set.

mtbr member
    so im currently leaning towards the Hammerschmidt setup. Def gonna go ride a bike with this setup before i pull the trigger on it tho. Just wish it wasnt so damn heavy.

mtbr member
    You should just buy the most expensive cranks you can find.

Here is my attempt. Can anyone find more expensive cranks?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fotu
    You should just buy the most expensive cranks you can find.

Here is my attempt. Can anyone find more expensive cranks?

now thats a pricey piece of equipment.

Blue Pig
    Hammershit is for the weak! Get Stylo or SLX cranks.
    I give positive rep all around but then I get negative rep from all the clowns.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blksocks
    Hammershit is for the weak! Get Stylo or SLX cranks.
    could you maybe give me some reasons as to why? Still trying to make a decision here

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    any crank will do the job!

greedy
    Quote Originally Posted by YamiRider1316
    could you maybe give me some reasons as to why? Still trying to make a decision here
    HammerSchidt is cool and everything, but I still haven't figured out why it would be worth the price or weight penalty. Clearance? Maybe, but the bashguard on my XT will slide over the top of anything I want to go over and the dings on my bb shell says that it doesn't want to get much closer to the ground anyway. Faster/Less thoughtful shifting? I've been thinking my FD shifts through before I make them for all these years, why stop now?

I'm running XT on both my bikes because I've gotten great deals on them, but SLX is the best thing Shimano has come out with in a long time. IMO
    Addicted to the Classifieds

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast