mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Good AM bike for a girl?

I'm helping a friend pick/build a bike. she can spend around 1500, 2000 at most. she's new to mtn biking, but wants to get into it, very athletic, i think she could pick it up pretty quick, so i dont want something she'll outgrow in a year.
    probably wont be doing much real aggressive AM type riding, not bombing through techy sections or anything like that. she's looking at it more from a fun fitness perspective i guess. but with where we're at its hard to avoid getting yourself into pretty rocky techy terrain so i want something that can handle that. so more on the AM side less XC side.

with her price range im tempted to point her in the hardtail direction, a 27.5 hardtail with some bigger tires and a 140-ish fork i think could be a great bike to learn on that will still be capable when she gets better. but i feel like a full suspension could be a lot easier and forgiving, and comfortable, cause i guess girls care about that?

i could have her get a complete but im a little more tempted to build up a frame, buy some used parts and cheap out on the stuff thats not as important or that she could upgrade later. i feel like I could get her on a better quality bike that way.

sooo any advice??

mtbr member
    build her up a kickazz Chameleon. the frame is only $350

https://shop.santacruzbicycles.com/s...lack-1388.html
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

The Fastest of Bananas
    Ragley

Formerly of Kent
    I don't get how "rocky, techy terrain" excludes XC bikes.

I ride that on both my HT 29er race bike, and my "fun" AM bike. The difference is in the lines that I can get away with, on each.

This is like people who ride "trail bikes", simply because they don't want to be associated with "XC" and lycra.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Orange Crush seems like a possible build for you.
    27.5, HT, 140mm fork - check

Thruth be told I read only one article about it, but it wrote it's a hardcore ride, which is very stable and smooth.

Orange Mountain Bikes - Orange Crush

For the first bike, riders should (and they mostly do) get a hardtail. It's the best way to get the essential skills a fs won't give them, if they're new to mountain biking. I think if the bike is very forgiving during the learning curve, they will get too comfortable and don't concentrate enough.

mtbr member
    Buy used.
    You could get a recent model year Santa Cruz Heckler in excellent condition within your budget.

fat & decripit old guy
    Mar 2011
    My wife has a Norco Sight 1, 26" size small. She would not give it up for any thing. Even takes it to Whistler bike park when she goes there even though she has a bike with more travel. Should be able to get a good used one for a steal with the buzz with 650b Sights.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Norman Clydesdale View Post
    Buy used.
    You could get a recent model year Santa Cruz Heckler in excellent condition within your budget.
    +1 on this, I always recommend beginners to start with used bike. Also, make sure that she demos the bike before buying it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Norman Clydesdale View Post
    Buy used.
    x2 Heckler is a fantastic bike she'll never outgrow. And used they are extremely reasonable.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Agree
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post

I ride that on both my HT 29er race bike, and my "fun" AM bike. The difference is in the lines that I can get away with, on each.

This is like people who ride "trail bikes", simply because they don't want to be associated with "XC" and lycra.
    Words of wisdom Lloyd, words-of-wisdom.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Many options, to many to count. I will say that if I were looking for a cheap used all-around frame right now, I would look for an older (as in 2003 or newer) Heckler. Worst case scenario you are looking at replacing 2 bearings.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Take a look at PB's used ads. You can often find some lightly used bikes in great condition in the price range you're lookin at.

For example:

2013 GT force 2.0 small - Pinkbike

2010 GT Sanction 1.0 - Pinkbike

2011 Giant Trance X3 - Size Small - Pinkbike