Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I think blue sky cycling has a deal for the BB7s for 70 a wheel right now

VooDoo user.
    Avid Juicy's here. 8" front 6" rear. Debating on going 8" FR and RR. HMMMM decisions.

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    another vote for BB7's
    i'm 6'3", 225 lbs. with gear, and run 7" rotors front and rear
    BB7's give me plenty of power and modulation. I used to have 6's front and rear, and got terrible brake fade over long descents, switched to 7's and it's all good now.

great brakes for the money, performance rivals that of hydros, and you'll have cash left over for beer.

cheers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drum714
    This is probobly the best deal you will find anywhere! I got them for $160 shipped including two 8 inch XT rotors!

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin/...uery=retrieval
    I've always thought my Avid BB7s were really good brakes--- Powerful, easy to set up and adjust, cheap, etc, but I got a chance to demo a 6.6 last week when I was in San Diego and they had the Shimano XT hydro discs. Nice brakes. Easier lever effort. Better modulation. They did squawk like a banshee though.

Is this place a shop? Do you still need a special hub or disc adaptor to run the shimano hydro discs?
    Last edited by KRob; 04-27-2006 at 04:17 PM.

Bike Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by blender
    another vote for BB7's
    i'm 6'3", 225 lbs. with gear, and run 7" rotors front and rear
    BB7's give me plenty of power and modulation. I used to have 6's front and rear, and got terrible brake fade over long descents, switched to 7's and it's all good now.

great brakes for the money, performance rivals that of hydros, and you'll have cash left over for beer.

cheers.
    Ditto. I've got the same setup as you plus an inch in height and 15 or so lbs - I love these brakes.

Your bike is incorrigible

I don't agree

Quote Originally Posted by cameronm_99
    The only problem I've noticed with discs is that the rotor is never perfect. Which means you'll always have some brake drag with hydros because they automatically adjust as the pads wear. With mechs , at least with bb7s, you can back the pads off just enough to eliminate the rub. You might have to pull the lever a little more, but overall performance will be better. Just MHO. I like mechs otheres like hydros and like everything else it generally comes down to personal preference and budget.

Cameron
    After two years of running BB7s on two bikes, I have come to accept that, no matter what I do, there will always be a squeak generated by slight rub. I can back the pads off two or three clicks, but I still get a squeak. (And I don't think the rotors are warped, at least not that much.)

Having said that, the BB7s are powerful enough. I ran the 160/160 I had originally bought for my XC HT on my FS (I had run out of money for components and didn't want to wait to ride the thing). They worked well enough, just a little weak on some really steep downhills. If you like the mechs, then just be sure to run a 185 up front to give you a bit more power. And be prepared to think there are mice squeaking inside your hubs.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Another fan of the juicy5 setup. On both bikes, replaced bb7 mechanicals with Paul Love levers and fully sealed cable runs.

Kept the same rotor sizes and the same pad compounds. Very slightly more power, but waaaaaay more modulation and far better lever feel.

Other hydros I've only had a chance to feel on friend's bikes, but based on that I went for the Juicys. That and reviews and other emptybeer users annecdotal evidence.

Juicy-5: fairly inexpensive, fairly light, easy to swap rotor sizes, idiot proof setup, super easy to bleed, and pretty easy to get parts for anywhere.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by cameronm_99
    The only problem I've noticed with discs is that the rotor is never perfect. Which means you'll always have some brake drag with hydros because they automatically adjust as the pads wear. With mechs , at least with bb7s, you can back the pads off just enough to eliminate the rub. You might have to pull the lever a little more, but overall performance will be better. Just MHO. I like mechs otheres like hydros and like everything else it generally comes down to personal preference and budget.

Cameron
    errr... no.

My Julies only touch the rotor where it's badly warped. They rub no more than my BBDB's were. No more than my M515's.
    Besides, the beauty of discs (mechs or hydros) is that brake rub may be annoying, but it's not a real issue... unless your caliper is badly aligned or your rotor severely warped.

I couldn't stand the rubbing of my vees... too much drag. But any of my discs are much better in that regard and the difference between my hydros and former mechs is non-existant in that regard.

One more thing... if you back off the pads on a BB7/BBDB, you change the modulation and power... not to mention the lever contact point. IMHO... too long lever throw feels awful. I like brakes that work with shorter lever throws and start modulating with force.

Vees were a
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    man, bb7 are really durable and the adjustability is just great...i recommend these, don't get fooled by hydro-hype
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    I've always thought my Avid BB7s were really good brakes--- Powerful, easy to set up and adjust, cheap, etc, but I got a chance to demo a 6.6 last week when I was in San Diego and they had the Shimano XT hydro discs. Nice brakes. Easier lever effort. Better modulation. They did squawk like a banshee though.

Is this place a shop? Do you still need a special hub or disc adaptor to run the shimano hydro discs?
    I agree, I had an Avid 6 inch front on my Rockhopper and then 6 inch BB7ís on the front and rear of my Palomino.
    I always liked them and didnít feel the need to go with hydro.
    Now I have XT (dual control) on both my bikes, and I REALLY like them. More power, better modulation, less fade (not that there was much with the Avids).
    My XTís only make noise when they get wet.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2
    2013 Trek Stache 8
    2011 Giant Defy Advanced 0

Still on Training Wheels!
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Yes they are in the NW somewhere.

They make the XT rotors in both Center lock as well as 6 bolt. You can still use any rotor you want with the XT brakes, I just got the XT rotors because they where cheap.
    It's not a good ride if you don't scare yourself at least once.

Yeah...I'm Sponsored..................by my Bank Account

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2