Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I think we should go back
    Nov 2008

Going to get a new fork need help

Hello,

Ok so I have an Iron horse warrior 4.0 and I have had it for about 3 months now. it came with a marzocchi bomber mz comp fork with about 120mm of travel and this fork is not good enough for the stuff I am going to do. I heard about an upgrade warranty or something with marzocchi that you can trade in your fork for an upgrade for a lower price than the original price. can anyone tell me what the discount is or whatever? I cant pay more than 400 dollars and I was looking at a couple forks... here they are

$399.00 -Fox Vanilla 140r: http://foxracingshox.com/fox_bicycle...irect=09_forks

$395.00 -Marzocchi 44 ATA
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...a+Fork+09.aspx

And I dont know how much that would be with the upgrade warranty. i dont know anything about the warranty. I dont know if I could get something better after the discount. Someone told me I couldnt get a longer travel fork than 150mm because of like heat tube angle or something.

EDIT: Will the fox I linked to have enough adjustability to adjust it good for a 90 lb rider? I can only afford the r version not the rlc.

Thanks
    Last edited by drain bamage; 03-07-2009 at 08:34 PM.

Nov 2008
    I need something that I can sort of tune for my weight and since the fox is coil can I do that without buying new springs? I like the plushness of coil but I like the adjustability of air. my neighbor has the 08 vanilla 32 RL air fork I think and I have ridden his just on and off curbs since the frame is way to big.

EDIT: It looks like the wheel mount is different than the marzocchi i have now. Does this mean I would need a new wheel for it to fit?

Nov 2008
    Really???? Nobody????

mtbr member
    The Fox should come with 2 extra srpings you can switch to depending on your weight. Personally, I would opt for the Fox.

Dirt Deviant
    I don't have alot of experience with fox forks and lighter riders such as yourself......but would tend to think that even with the lightest spring, it could be a little too stiff for you.
    A good air fork would prolly be a better bet. At your weight you don't need anything crazy strong.
    There are really good deals to be had on some 2008 manitou forks at the moment, while supplies last.
    I picked up a manitou minute fork for next to nothing a couple months ago. Great fork I must say.
    I assume your bike has QR dropouts so you wanna make sure you stay with that, unless you plan on upgrading your front wheel at least.
    The minute is available in a QR version in 100-120-140mm travel......or you could get the IT which is a travel adjust between 100-140. I just ordered one of those for my new hardtail.
    I have the 120mm version on my 5" travel bike and really like it. Might wanna look into one of those.
    As far as travel is concerned, you don't wanna stray too far away from what the bike was designed to handle since it screws up the geometry and can stress the head tube and break the frame if you put too long of a fork on it.
    How much travel does your bike have on the rear?

Nov 2008
    Ok thanks my bike has a 5 inch travel frame if that means 5 inches of rear travel I dont know. From crown to seal the fork is 125mm... What is the max travel i should go if that bike is made for a 120mm fork?

Dirt Deviant
    Personally, I wouldn't go above 10mm more than it is designed for.....but I tend to be more conservative. Some people may say 20mm max.
    I think a 130mm would suit that bike nicely.
    Which is a good thing, because there are tons of good, inexpensive 130mm forks out there to be had, within or near your price range.

Nov 2008
    Oh yeah I dont have quik release where the axle is on the fork so would that mean I couldnt get the 44 ATA micro with getting a new wheel or is there another option to fit my bike without getting a new wheel. My wheel mounts with a clamp and when you take mine off there is no axle on the fork or anthing.

Made in Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Zendog13
    The Fox should come with 2 extra srpings you can switch to depending on your weight. Personally, I would opt for the Fox.
    Not to be biased but I have the 2008 Fox Vanilla R and I absolutely love it, and yes it does come with another set of srpings of a different stiffness. I don't have any experience with Marzocchi but I can only say good things about the Fox.
    STOLEN: '07 Banshee Viento - See Eastern Canada Forum for Pictures. If anyone sees it contact me ASAP!

Nov 2008
    Ok thanks... Does the Fox have springs I can put into it to be good plush fork for my weight? (90 lbs)

and the 44 ATA Micro says Available also with STD 9mm and I have quik release to mount my wheel (I have to pull a lever like on a seat post) so will this work if I got the STD 9mm version without getting a new wheel or will the one in the picture work?
    Last edited by drain bamage; 03-08-2009 at 06:31 PM.

Nov 2008
    bump...

Made in Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by drain bamage
    Ok thanks... Does the Fox have springs I can put into it to be good plush fork for my weight? (90 lbs)

and the 44 ATA Micro says Available also with STD 9mm and I have quik release to mount my wheel (I have to pull a lever like on a seat post) so will this work if I got the STD 9mm version without getting a new wheel or will the one in the picture work?
    Yes they do!

Read in this link (click on the left, Forks>32 mm>Vanilla>VANILLA R), scroll down to Coil Spring Setting Guidelines:
    http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tec...009_OM_eng.htm
    STOLEN: '07 Banshee Viento - See Eastern Canada Forum for Pictures. If anyone sees it contact me ASAP!

low speed, high drag
    Jan 2008
    I have a RS Tora 318 and it's held up so far. It's adjustable from 80-130mm. The 318 has motion control dampening in one leg that you'd find on higher end RS forks. I'm personally after something with a little more travel and a through axle, but the Tora has served me well, very plush...

Nov 2008
    Ok yeah thanks and that spring for my weight comes in the box at purchase?

Nov 2008

Do they have a version of that fork that looks like this?: http://marzocchi.com/Template/detail...DOggetto=56387

Not really; Fox coil forks come with three springs with the aftermarket fork, coded purple, blue and green. The lower weight limit on the purple is 120 lbs for a range of 120-150 lbs overall, the others are for higher weight riders. They do have a black spring rated for 90-120 lb riders, but doesn't come with the fork (although if you talk to Fox maybe they'll swap you out). The 90 lb spring still may be a bit stiff for you, too.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

wuss
    While an air fork would be easier to set up at your weight, stiction could also be a rather big issue. Air forks often have tighter seals and more stiction then coil forks, and the lighter you are, the more of an issue that would be.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    they've basically fixed the stiction problems of the first air forks.. i think everyones doing a negative chamber now. the only issue is that they ramp up pretty quick, which is kind of subjective as to being good or bad (i think its good for shorter travel forks).

Nov 2008
    I just don't like the limited adjustability of the fox... I tried my neighbors air fox 32 f series I think and it feels alright. it isn't as plush as my coil I have now. That 44 ATA has + and - air chambers I think. Would the two chambers make like the preload and compression and rebound adjustments or just air pressure?

And so the 44 ATA micro will not work if I get the 9mm STD version? I have quik release clamps right now to mount my wheel.

Nov 2008
    Ok forget the questions about the forks... back to the poll on who think which fork would be better for me (90 lbs) and I like to do AM-DH riding...:

-44 ATA
    -Fox vanilla 140r coil.

mtbr member
    Rock shox are a lot easier to work on, it that may be a factor. replacing springs are fairley straighforward. just watch out for the little springs and balls under the U-turn cap. The Pike, Recon and Revelation have 140 mm's of travel, and come in coil or air spring. the spring forks are super plush. I installed a pike 454 coil and bottomed the stock springs on a very easy xc trail. they have a lighter spring that would probably be really great for your weight.

But if you want the 44 ata or fox van r it's apples and oranges. I guess the van r.

I do recommend going to the 20 mm front thru axle for down hill riding. It really makes a difference on the steering. I converted from an Marz AM2 air QR axle to the Pike coil with 20mm axle, it took several rides and andjustment to get the fork working, but it was well worth the time and effort.

Nov 2008
    Ok thanks and why would you prefer the Van r over the 44?

Nov 2008
    Which would be the smoother fork for taking up drops and roots and rocks at medium to high speed?

Nov 2008

wuss
    Ok forget the questions about the forks... back to the poll on who think which fork would be better for me (90 lbs) and I like to do AM-DH riding...:

-44 ATA
    -Fox vanilla 140r coil.
    You mean in theory (assuming they both work) or in practise?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast