mtbr member

Giro Helmets - what has the most coverage?

Hi,
    Wich helmet has the most coverage around the back of the head, The Xar, Hex or Xen? I went to my lbs but they didnt have them and said they would have to order one in, so im just trying to find out which one will provide the best coverage before i order one. They can also get bell helmets in and have considered the bell variant.
    Cheers,
    Matt

mtbr member
    I'm pretty sure the Giro Feature has the most coverage. It's also the cheapest.

usually cranky
    the feature. but of your list i think they are all similar, i think the xar might be the best.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by MaTt 93 View Post
    Hi,
    Wich helmet has the most coverage around the back of the head, The Xar, Hex or Xen? I went to my lbs but they didnt have them and said they would have to order one in, so im just trying to find out which one will provide the best coverage before i order one. They can also get bell helmets in and have considered the bell variant.
    Cheers,
    Matt
    All of those have poor rear coverage. Of the current Giro bike helmets the Feature has the best coverage.

Giro's bike models do not fit me, but their snow helmets do, and they have even more head coverage.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Im not sure about the feature as i ride in 104+ degree heat and i think i would need the extra ventilation. I've considered other brands but bell and Giro are the only ones avalible to me.

Lightly salted
    I use both the feature and hex. Not much difference between them, and the feature is actually lighter than the hex. Ventilation feels about the same, but the feature has much better protection for the back of the head. Summers around here hit low 100 degrees, feature feels fine for me even on long 30+ mile rides with tons of climbing. Heres a picture of my feature from another thread.

Im not sure about the feature as i ride in 104+ degree heat and i think i would need the extra ventilation. I've considered other brands but bell and Giro are the only ones avalible to me.
    I use to wear the Giro Semi (bike version of a snow helmet) with minimal vents. Was actually cooler in 90+ degree weather and direct sun than my Bell helmet with huge vents.
    mtbtires.com

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Hi,
    Cheers,
    Matt
    Xen has very minimal coverage (I own one). Xar is even less, the least of any helmet I've tried.

The reason these helmets LOOK like they come down farther in the back (and therefore look like they have better coverage) is because they come down LESS on the sides.

That said, I like the Xen because it is really comfy on my head. I did not like the way the Xar fit, but everyone's head is different.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

Stand back
    I have a Feature and love it. Haven't noticed much difference b/t it and my Xen or Flux as far as ventilation goes. This was a hot summer in Denver to test that out, too.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Yet another vote for the Feature; it has much more coverage than the Hex I had previously. In terms of ventilation, I would say it was pretty similar to the Hex.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    giro feature here, too. first helmet i got and loving it. didn't want the mushroom and roadie looking helmets. when i saw the feature, i said to myself this is it! cheap price was the huge icing on this cake ventilation is pretty good and everyone who's seen and held it was surprised by the light weight contrary to it's looks.

mtbr member
    you have all convinced me on the feature now haha. I'll order the feature and if ventilation isnt very good i'll hang out until the new bell super comes out.

you have all convinced me on the feature now haha. I'll order the feature and if ventilation isnt very good i'll hang out until the new bell super comes out.
    If Bell's fit stays as it has, if Giro bike helmets fit your head, the Super will not.
    mtbtires.com