mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Girl friend of mine might get a Trek Skye. Does 'Lockout' matter on roads that much?

She is looking to purchase a bike in the $500 range and the Trek Skye S looks to be a good bike (haven't really read to many reviews though). She will not be doing many hardcore trails, just some light to average ones and some road riding.
    Anyway, this doesn't have a lockout. Is a lockout really convenient for paved roads? What benefits would it provide on a road?

Chubby Chaser
    I never use my lockout, and I have a 160mm plushy front fork. It won't really affect you unless you're standing up and really pedaling hard like in a sprint. While pedaling at normal speeds your front really shouldn't be bobbing. Plus even on paved roads there are bumps/potholes/uneven pavement, so I don't really see the point in locking it out. Just my 0.02 cent.

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    IMO if she is not doing any hardcore trail riding I would look at getting a bike with a rigid fork. This will alow her to get a bike with other better componets. @ $500.00 for a bike, the shock you get with it probably won't be very good any way.

Just my $0.02

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    what does a rigid fork mean? Would this mean her bike would break down or be very hard to ride on a more involved trail?

LightJunction.com
    Rigid fork means no suspension. I wouldn't go that route. Even basic suspension will help her maintain traction when she's riding off-road. It will also give her a more comfortable ride. Sure, with a rigid fork you could get better drivetrain components for the same price, but if she's uncomfortable on the bike, she'll never ride it to know the difference.

As far as lockout goes, I don't think it's a big deal. I've had several bikes with it, and I never use it. I commute about 1 mile to my regular trails, and I either don't think about flipping the lockout on, or I just decide not to. I've gotten used to the way my bike handles with suspension, and I like it that way. That's just my opinion...take it for what it's worth.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    A rigid fork is one without a shock. A front shock with a lockout would be just like riding a bike with a rigid fork.

Actually having a rigid fork would mean her bike would require less maintenance and be less apt to break down.

A good front shock in the fork may make your bike take bumps easier. But a shock on a $500.00 bike should not make that much of a difference for a novice rider on a trail.

I would say the bigest advantage of a front shock on most $500.00 bikes is it looks cool. Just my opinion though. It will smooth out your ride a bit though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Would i be correct in assuming that having a basic suspension with only 80mm, would lessen shocks anyway and would make less sense for the bike to have a lockout?

Also this bike doesnt have disc brakes. Is that crucial for trail riding?

LightJunction.com
    Disc brakes aren't crucial, especially for a beginner. Mountain bikers ripped up the trails for decades before disc brakes got popular.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

I love scotch.

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

On disc brakes vs standard (V-Brakes) .. Disc Brakes VS. V-Brakes

V-Brakes
    Pros:
    Lighter
    Less money

Cons:
    They scratch the rims.
    They don't stop as good.
    They clog up with mud easier which hinders braking ability.
    Pads need replacing more frequently.

Discs
    Pros:
    Better stopping
    They donít scratch the rims.
    They don't clog up with mud.
    Pads need replacing less frequently.

Cons:
    Heavier
    Depending on if they are hydraulic or not, bleeding the lines.
    More money
    I design sites n' stuff www.jade-raven.com
    And play guitar www.bryssis.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Im getting a trek mamba 2012 with hydrualic discs. whats bleeding the lines?

I love scotch.
    I design sites n' stuff www.jade-raven.com
    And play guitar www.bryssis.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    thanks

banned
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by p08757 View Post
    IMO if she is not doing any hardcore trail riding I would look at getting a bike with a rigid fork. This will alow her to get a bike with other better componets. @ $500.00 for a bike, the shock you get with it probably won't be very good any way.

Just my $0.02
    As a beginner female rider, she's going to have a lot more fun if she has a shock. Even if it's a low end one, it's still less punishing than a rigid fork. Even just knowing she has a shock can be confidence-inspiring, which is hugely important for most beginners, especially females. She'll notice the benefits of a shock before she'll notice the benefits of a slightly better drivetrain.

Quote Originally Posted by lightjunction View Post
    Disc brakes aren't crucial, especially for a beginner. Mountain bikers ripped up the trails for decades before disc brakes got popular.
    Same thing here. Women tend to have smaller and/or weaker hands than guys. Disc brakes take less hand power to stop. If she doesn't have to squeeze so hard, she feels more in control and again, more confident.