Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Giant's prototype electric dropper post

Giant?s Electric Contact Switch Dropper Seatpost Prototype | Bicycling Magazine

I hope some other companies (I think Thomson mentioned something similar) are working on this idea - not needing to weight the post for it to drop is the next logical step.

mtbr member
    So many guys I know can't keep their lights properly charged, electric-anything on a bike is a recipe for disaster!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Looks cool to me, if only they could make it wifi and gps controlled...

usually cranky
    gps controlled?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    gps controlled?
    yeah, your seat automatically drops or raises based on the terrain
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by nauc View Post
    yeah, your seat automatically drops or raises based on the terrain
    I know it's not your idea as i've heard it mentioned before but that sounds ****ing stupid! How and why would you let the seatpost determine it's height based upon your location?! So if you got a bent rim/cracked frame and you were pushing your bike it would pop up and go back down as you went along. Holy **** that's a dumb idea and there is no need for it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey G View Post
    I know it's not your idea as i've heard it mentioned before but that sounds ****ing stupid! How and why would you let the seatpost determine it's height based upon your location?! So if you got a bent rim/cracked frame and you were pushing your bike it would pop up and go back down as you went along. Holy **** that's a dumb idea and there is no need for it.
    Lol, I agree. Plus the battery pack on that thing is too big.

I have a reverb, and the thing is just fine being pneumatic. Basically it seems like you add more material, and maintenance just for a slightly easier button press. ~

GAME ON!
    i'm holding out for the telepathic version.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Yeah the next bike i'm hoping to buy will decide which gear i should be in based on my GPS signal. Wtf. I don't even use Facebook so i'm not going to have anything on my bike that uses a GPS signal.

I have a Giant Contact and a Reverb. Stealth is average at best but the Reverb is the baws. Wish i had a stealth though. So flush and pretty.

I could excuse using bluetooth to open a lock and the seat post pop up as tensioned by a spring or similar and go back down when my sexy ass decides.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Yeah the next bike i'm hoping to buy will decide which gear i should be in based on my GPS signal. Wtf. I don't even use Facebook so i'm not going to have anything on my bike that uses a GPS signal.

I have a Giant Contact and a Reverb. Stealth is average at best but the Reverb is the baws. Wish i had a stealth though. So flush and pretty.

I could excuse using bluetooth to open a lock and the seat post pop up as tensioned by a spring or similar and go back down when my sexy ass decides.
    I have 84 friends on Face Book. I'm better than Davey!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I was being sarcastic because an electric seat post that weighs more is needed as much as wifi and GPS control. The talk of the Thomson dropper having it in the future is one of the most inane ideas ever.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    i'm holding out for the telepathic version.
    I'm working on it. So far I can't get it to move.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I don't really see a necessity of the GPS controlled seatpost but a wireless control without having to weight the post would be perfect.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big JC View Post
    I'm working on it. So far I can't get it to move.
    Ahh, we're getting the cart in front of the whores now. You're talking about telekinetic drive vs telepathic actuation. I assume that will be an added feature in the second revision.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Electronic... Because the standard dropper posts are too reliable?

CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??
    Quote Originally Posted by tsivis83 View Post
    I don't really see a necessity of the GPS controlled seatpost but a wireless control without having to weight the post would be perfect.
    Maybe you have a programmable post by trails and a preset of upz-n-downs that rely on your tap only. It would require mapping of when you raise & lower your saddle on user specified trails....1st tap 1st , position, etc. You could have programmable mode to capture each trail as you did each movement manually on the initial trail ride, so what better excuse to hit the trails....of course tied to GPS in some way...or not.
    Last edited by man w/ one hand; 04-28-2013 at 11:00 AM.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member

Re: Giant's prototype electric dropper post

This made me laugh...mostly because I see some guy hiking out of the trail already pissed his ride got ruined just start yelling at his seat that's been shooting up and down

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2
    '12 Trek Marlin Signature Green
    '13 Santa Cruz Tallboy LT Gulf Blue/Orange

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Something tells me if this 'feature' were to become reality, the ability to turn off the gps function and use the post manually would be available.

GAME ON!
    sweet, then i could buy something with a specific feature so i can turn it off.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    sweet, then i could buy something with a specific feature so i can turn it off.
    I know, right? I sure am glad that every piece of gear i've bought for my bikes over the last two decades has never had a function or feature that stopped working at some point and needed to be manually bypassed. That would have sucked.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by AllMountin' View Post
    Ahh, we're getting the cart in front of the whores now. You're talking about telekinetic drive vs telepathic actuation. I assume that will be an added feature in the second revision.
    mmmm....right you are sir.

Video: Scientists create 'telepathic' connection - Telegraph

Soon I can "virtually" ride my bike....for real

mtbr member
    Dont know about electric, but having the seat drop without weighting it would be sweet. Must be a way to do it with out tiny servo motors

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    I'm waiting for the version that has an internal version and operates via Bluetooth and my iPhone. Maybe they could even adapt a speaker port into the seatpost and partner with Fizik to create a ICS mount speaker system.
    i ride bikes

mtbr member
    This seems like the kind of thing that will bring more problems than solutions.

It will be heavier, less reliable, probably the same amount of maintenance, will operate slower. All of these by design.

Dropping the seat by weighing it down is not a problem for me, try to drop of lift the electric seat with weight and very likely the motor or gears will crap out as they wont be large enough to have any sort of strength.

Why make something that isnt an improvement??

mtbr member
    Maybe they should get Scotty involved in this project.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast