mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Giant VT-1 or Klein Palamino

Anyone have experience with these bikes, coming off a hardtail and looking for something that climbs without bobbing. I tend to ride out of the saddle going up. Both are 04 bikes,

Giant is stock with Deore LX, Manitou Minute1. The Klein was built with SRAM X9, Fox Float shocks.

The giant is $100 less.
    Thanks for any advise

mtbr member
    The Palomino is good for climbing, but really sucks compared to most decent bikes when going down. Nix the Palomino, it isn't worth consideration in my opinion. Not trying to be negative, but those bikes are pretty lame excuses for decent full-susp bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I have a VT 1, so my opinion is going to be biased.

The VT is a good bike, the suspension, albeit a bit complex works fine and the bob is kept under control by SPV, which makes small bump absorption decrease, but still decent. Having said that you are going to get a hell of bob out of the saddle, the VT pretty much requires you to stay seated to climb well, but its a very comfortable, do able climb.

I like the geometry, its really not geared toward anything but can do everything, save the most extreme, fine.

My VT-1 came with XT competents, so if your VT1 is LX you've got the model messed up or the previous owner had to replaced those parts with inferior ones.

mtbr member
    I have a palomino, and it is beautiful. It is an 05 and set up with some pretty nice parts, but still weighs 26lbs. I also have a maverick linkage. It stiffens up the rear end considerably and it uses bearings instead of bushings. The stock linkage on these bikes was pretty bad. I really like this bike but honestly I only have a few rides on it. It does climb well out of the saddle, but like most full suspension bikes, besides an epic, it climbs better when sitting down.
    It has a longer wheel base witch makes it climb and descend well, but a little slower in the twisty turny stuff. I have never ridden a VT1 but it looks a little less cross country. At 5 to 5.6 inch of travel and living in the mid-west I would probably go for the palomino. However if you don't want to put up the extra cash for the maverick link I would look for a shorter travel giant, trek or specialized. if you don't live out west, your really don't need more then four inches of travel.
    Live fast, Die young, Leave a good looking corpse!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

The giant is LX oops/ Palamino with Maverick

I do live in the MId West, so sounds like the VT-1 has more bob than I will be happy with. My local LBS said the same thing in general about FS. The Klein does have the Maverick upgrade. Giant is XT. I am mostly a road bike guy and we have way less stuff to deal with as far as components go.
    Hmmmm...

mtbr member
    There are pretty much no FS bike that work well for out of the saddle mashing. They are better if you sit and spin. A specialized Epic or one of their other bikes with a Brain would be the best bet.

What type of riding do you do/want to do? The VT1 and Palomino are geared to very different types of riding.

mtbr member

Klein Vrs. Giant

I owned a 2003 Team model for 5 years. Prior to that, had ridden hardtails but two bad back discs forced me to DS. It got ridden hard, raced hard and well maintained. She never DNF'd and was ridden in some long, hard races like the Chupacabras 100 KM in Juarez, Mexico. I loved the ride and the way she handles, but can't compare to the Giant as I've never ridden one. I called her "The Poor man's Maverick" as is is less $$$ than a Maverick. The only trouble I had was the frt der it would not shift well if the shock wasn't pressured higher than I liked. I found a cure on-line, by grinding the derplate and the bracket; that fixed it to shift great!!
    I got a 2008 Durance and to me the ride is similar to my Klein but different. The Durance climbs easier and seems to be a faster thoguh a bit heavier bike.
    I can only suggest to ride them both and then decide. I loved my Klein!!
    Training on Hills Builds Character, That's How I Got To Be One!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Riding style.

I am in middle Tennessee so mostly single track, through the woods. I live in a very hilly area so lots of rocks, roots, tree limbs etc. I do not see myself jumping anything.

mtbr member
    Rocks?! Well stay away from the klein, the paint is way to pretty to scratch on the rocks.
    Live fast, Die young, Leave a good looking corpse!

mtbr member

VT-1 bobs almost none sitting!!

I would not be too afraid to go with the VT-1. My friend had one and it is a quite capable bike. I had a brand new Stumpjumper FSR, and we were doing a long fireroad climb, and I could look over, and see that sitting and spinning my FSR was bobbing, and his VT-1 was not bobbing at all!!

Standing and hammering will overcome the platform, but it climbs very well sitting.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Something I left out, the VT climbs very well, I have a 130mm fork on it and I don't have a problem keeping the front end planted. dwnhlldav has a point, it'd be pretty hard to find a FS that doesn't bob out of the saddle, perhaps I was exaggerating a bit, nevertheless it would be like riding your hardtail, the VT has no bob on the saddle though. The one negative thing I did hear about the VT is that it has a flexy rear end, I've never felt it, but I suppose if you took it on a a DH course you would.

Even with the outdated suspension its still a nice bike to have. It does XC well then drop the seat and you get going on the downhill.

Component wise XT is equivalent to X.9 but you'll hear that debated over and over again. Minute fork is a nice fork, but Fox has a very good reputation that they live up to. I know the VT1 comes with crossmax wheelset, which are awesome...5 years going and never been out of true and are real light. As for weight the My VT is around 30 something , bridgestone14 is 26...easy winner there