mtbr member

Giant and Trek options.

Looking at getting bikes for my wife and I. I am having a hard time deciding because of all the options.My local LBS has the bikes listed.These will be beginner bikes and would like to keep it at $650 tops per bike.Any suggestions? I have been trying to see who offers better components for the same price range,but since I am new,it's kind of all gibberish to me.All opinions will be appreciated.Thanks

mtbr member
    Found out that one of the LBS can get Specialized also.

rmi
    Still using dork disk.
    I owned a long string of Trek bikes and thought they offered nice bikes and good value. I recently bought a Giant Trance X, and love it. My wife absolutely adores a Specialized hybrid commuter she rides daily. I think Giant has a reputation for outstanding value and good products. Their Revel series looks nice, but I am sure that Trek and Specialized have comparable models.

I would ride something from each company and talk to your LBS about the options. I don't think there is any way to go wrong with the bikes from those three companies. Don't think that your wife and you have to get the same brand, either.

Ryan

mtbr member
    Decisions,decisions.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Check all your LBSs for year-end clearance prices. If you can find an $800 bike reduced to $650, it's probably going to be better than $650msrp bikes.

mtbr member
    Giant makes most of Trek and Specialized's frames at their plant in Taiwan. Aside from minor differences in design, all Trek and Spec do is up the prices, as far as I can tell. Very few true innovations from either Trek or Spec, but Giant has boosted the bike world exponentially really bringing hydroformed tubing to the forefront of bike making. I'd say Giant has the best value overall, but that's just my opinion. Don't base your choice off color or the brand, unless it's a good bike vs. a Walmart cheap-o bike. Agreed with the other poster that suggested looking for bikes that were marked down to the price you want. Lots of sales right now.

At the price you're looking to stay at, the main difference will be in the components. Nothing worse than a bike that doesn't shift well, or a drivetrain that is heavy and craps out. Look for the best series of derailleurs, shifters, cranks and brakes for the money, and you'll be glad you did.

(of note, Taiwan has a MUCH better reputation than mainland China for bicycle manufacturing).
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Unless you find a bike that is on sale but otherwise significantly more expensive than the competition ($100+), what you will find is that most of them are spec'd comparatively. Trying to find a year-end deal is the way to go.

However, the fit on the three brands you listed may differ and that is the most important factor. So, as others have said, identify one bike from each company and test ride them. Pick the one that feels best to you.

Riiiiiide...
    Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos
    Giant makes most of Trek and Specialized's frames at their plant in Taiwan.
    You sure its 'Giant's' factory, and not just a factory in Taiwan that makes frames for the big 3?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PsyCro
    You sure its 'Giant's' factory, and not just a factory in Taiwan that makes frames for the big 3?
    Giant does own their own factories as they made bikes for other companies long before they started to make them under their own brand. I'm not sure if they make Specialized and Trek bikes though. This is always kept quiet whenever I ask whose bikes they make.

Riiiiiide...
    Quote Originally Posted by fixbikeguy
    Giant does own their own factories as they made bikes for other companies long before they started to make them under their own brand. I'm not sure if they make Specialized and Trek bikes though. This is always kept quiet whenever I ask whose bikes they make.
    Yeah i just tried googling the topic.. no definitive answer anywhere. All good stuff as long as CS is good imo.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    not many bikes I would trust out in the mountains for $650.

best bet is to find one of the GTs from performance on clearance. you could probably get a ~$1k bike for about $650

mtbr member
    One of the LBS told me that he has an 09 Giant Yukon (charcoal/polished) on clearance for $500,should I go look at it?Is that a good deal?