mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Giant Reign vs. SC Heckler

I have ridden both, and I like them both, but that is in the context of a 1 day demo.

Assuming similar components, is there any specific reason to choose one over the other?

mtbr member
    if you like them both, get the Heckler... less maintenance = more ride time

but both are great bikes
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

Slower But Faster
    The Reign will arguably descend a little better due it's more sophisticated suspension design (shouldn't brake jack which can be a characteristic of single pivot bikes) but the Heckler will have less to go wrong with it. As said above both are good choices.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    ^ Nope, heckler will descend better, while the giant will climb better

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk

Slower But Faster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_Federline View Post

I've owned a Reign in the past and swapped bikes with a buddy with a Heckler plenty of times and would say the climbing was about equal. I loved almost everything about the Heckler apart from the brake jack when descending on really rough trails.

That being said, we both ride Nomads now.

perpetual pucker factor
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_Federline View Post

I respectfully disagree. I've spent a lot of time on both and I feel that the Reign, when properly set up, will beat a heckler descending, while keeping its climbing at least equal to it. The heckler is a sweet bike, but the Reign was far better in almost every aspect to me. So I bought one. 3 years of pounding the crap out of it, and it withstood everything. Laps on Deer Valley's Fire Swamp and Thieves Forest (full-on DH trails) included. It never hiccuped. And it never ahd the brake jack that single pivot bikes often have.

On the maintenance note, the Reign I had required almost zero maintenance other than keeping things clean and lubricating the drivetrain. The Heckler requires about the same. But no pivot bearings died on the Reign, no creaking, no nothing. It just kept going. Again, I have no hate for the Heckler, but the Reign beat it on every level in my book.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Heckler.
    Simpler is better. Santa Cruz is a US company. And I think will hold it's value better if you ever sell in the future. Solid proven awesome frame design.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by nauc View Post

but both are great bikes
    Yep! +1 for the Heckler! Great quality...

mtbr member
    "Simpler is better"

i tend to agree, esp when it comes to computers. stupid MS has STILL yet to learn that. god, after all the success Apple and Google has had.. MS, GET A CLUE!!! JEEEZ
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I've had two Reign 1s right in a row - great bikes, great value. My '13 Reign 1 is all Shimano SLX with CTD suspension (which has worked excellent for me) and was $2800 new (on sale).

The linkage suspension has NOT been high maintenance at all, and no issues all year with the new bike, or last year with the previous one. I have greased the pivots, but simply because I wanted to.

I really like the feel of the bike and the ability to hit anything downhill, as fast as I can handle. I think anyone will tell you that the DW-Link design will climb more efficiently than any single-pivot design. I'm not a fanatical expert on the subject, but I've done my research.

I get in about 800-900 miles a season and 110k+ feet of climbing. Has been a great do-everything bike for me.

My 2c.

re member
    Two of my buddy ride Hecklers. Both love it.
    I say, either one, great choice!
    Quote Originally Posted by My Avatar
    WOOF!
    My videos on Vimeo

Elitest thrill junkie
    lol, so for trading fact that the giant has more pivots you get the shock in a structural position on the heckler, which puts more stress on the shock bushings, seals and other shock components, requiring more frequent rebuilds and parts changes (did several of these on SC bikes when I worked in shops), and that means "less maintenance"? Come on, it's no longer 1999.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    2013 SC Heckler is 27.5"

2013 Reign is 26"...

don't mean to cause a debate on wheelsize, BUT considering similar build kits, wheelsize might come into play as a differentiating factor for you.

ALSO the look of the bike itself.

As for suspension, some people prefer single pivots, some dual links - if you like both and have equal footing in your book then the wheelsize and the aesthetics can be your point of comparison.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The Reign is a very capable bike, shame it's no longer in production. From what I've read is the new trance does not replace it in terms of capability. The Reign X is still available, although with the worst paint job ever. I was waiting for the Reign/ Reign X to come out in carbon. Too bad Giant is so drunk on the 650b hype. I believe Giant makes SC frames, so saying its a "US" company doesn't hold any weight.
    Switzerland doesn't need a bike park, Switzerland is a bike park.

perpetual pucker factor
    "Simpler is better"

i tend to agree, esp when it comes to computers. stupid MS has STILL yet to learn that. god, after all the success Apple and Google has had.. MS, GET A CLUE!!! JEEEZ
    are you typing this from a coffee shop with your RayBans on?
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

Creepy tooth fairy

Different animals...

The only Reigns available are the X models and they are 26" wheeled rigs. The lower spec Reign costs more than the most expensive Heckler. The geometry on each is different, notably with the Reign having a slacker seat tube angle. This makes for more difficult climbing. The Reign X may be a slightly better descender, but being that the Heckler now has 27.5 wheels you cannot discount their superior ability to maintain momentum and roll over trail chop. In addition, the Reign is heavier. The Heckler is a long proven design possibly being the best execution of a single pivot. The maintenance is simple on it and the bearings are guaranteed for life.

So what do I think? Get whatever turns you own. I am buying a Heckler. The geometry is spot on and I prefer single-pivots to multi-pivot bikes. I have owned five Santa Cruz bikes over the years ('99/00 Heckler, '02 Bullit, '04 Heckler, '08 Nomad, '11 Butcher) and I have ridden/spent time on nearly every style of suspension bike out there. Multi-pivot and link bikes will have more subtle nuances as far their ride goes, however a single pivot bike with a modern tunable shock like a Cane Creek Double Barrel Air will ride as well if not better.
    the going won't get good 'til I'm good and gone