mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Giant Reign 2 - Is this a good deal?

Hi,

I'm looking to get back into biking after a long time off. "All Mountain" is about my style. I've been monitoring local classified ads for a good used bike, and came across this:
    2006 or 07 Giant Reigh 2 all mountain MTB. Bike is in great shape and cost over 1800 brand new. I have ridden it lightly as I prefer my hard tail. It has over 6 inches of rear travel and a Nixon fork. Disk breaks are Hayes 9s. All components are high end that include race face cranks, stem, seat post ect. and Shimano LX. This bike is sweet. Its a small 16in frame suitable for riders from 5.6 to 5.11

I'm 5'6', long-legged for my height. My questions:
    - Is this a good bike? The reviews I read were mostly positive, most complained about some of the stock components but this looks like it has upgrades
    - Is this a good deal? The guy wants $650 for it.

Around the same price, in this area, 2003 Iron Horse Warrior, 2005 Iron Horse 7point7. Any opinions?

Thanks,

Paddy

mtbr member
    It is a bit old. But if you only have in the order $600 to spend then it might be the best bet, even at that age it will be better than a new $600 bike.

Just make sure it is in good order. You don't want to buy it and then have to spend a load of cash getting it sorted out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Be sure to have a shop thoroughly check it out. 7 or 8 years of being ridden on all-mountain terrain does a number on frames and components, and some stuff just wears out over time. For example, if the cassette and chain are worn out, it needs new brake pads and a bleed, and new tires (all things that have to be done every few years at least), you could easily spend $400 at the shop right off the bat, making it a $1050 purchase (which isn't a great deal for an older bike). Also, know that the components you mention (Race Face, Shimano LX) aren't really "high end," they're more midrange, and they've been improved significantly in recent years - for example, current Shimano LX brakes are WAAAAY better than LX brakes from five years ago. So it's not apples-to-apples comparing older parts with newer ones.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks for the replies... good points. The bike was sold before I could go look at it anyway, but these are good things to consider as I continue to look.