mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Giant Contact Switch Droppper Post Review

Hello All-

I have been trying to find some detailed information about this new post and their does not appear to be a lot of info out there. That said, I decided to take a chance and order this post, and provide some feedback for anyone who may be interested in it. The seat post itself is 400mm long with 12mm of offset and provides up to 4 inches of travel. As of now, it is only available in 30.9 size.

I ordered the post from my LBS on Tuesday and it arrived on Friday. The first couple pics show how the post is well packaged and what all is included. the post comes with some pretty simple instructions and the post itself is fairly simple. The build quality looks great as I could not find any sloppy machining. The post switch is all metal and can be clamped on either side of the bar. I am not too crazy about the metal flex cable that comes out of the switch, however it is plenty flexible and does provide some added protection. The switch uses standard cable so future replacements will be easy to source if need be.

Unlike other posts, the actuator is located within the post head which keeps the actuator protected from the elements. After taking a couple measurements I cut the cable to size, lubed it, and routed it up to the actuator. After connecting the cable to the actuator, I applied a small dab of grease around the end of the cable to help seal it off from the elements. Once the seat was mounted, it was very solid and did not have any side to side or front to back play in it.

With everything mounted up, the switch is smooth easy to depress. Regardless of seat position, the seat movement is very smooth and consistent. This post offers unlimited seat adjustment and the return speed is plenty fast without feeling like the seat is going to kick your ass off the bike. I can't speak for the durability of this post yet, so I will follow up after I have had a chance to log some real miles on it. As it stands right now, the post looks to be a great value especially when you consider the price which is $250 (although the dealers I spoke to were willing to sell it below that price).

Anyhow, I hope this info helps, and I will continue to post more updates once I get a chance to ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Giant Contact Switch Droppper Post Review-box.jpg  

Giant Contact Switch Droppper Post Review-openbox.jpg  

Giant Contact Switch Droppper Post Review-postready.jpg  

Giant Contact Switch Droppper Post Review-markers.jpg  

Giant Contact Switch Droppper Post Review-headcable.jpg  

Giant Contact Switch Droppper Post Review-switchmount.jpg  

Giant Contact Switch Droppper Post Review-postlow.jpg  

Giant Contact Switch Droppper Post Review-posthigh.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks for sharing Dano.

Although currently not in the market for another dropper post, I will watch for the long term durability review. Nice bike setup!

usually cranky
    on a stumpy, how dare you? seriously though it looks good, an option i had not thought of.

mtbr member

Good job!

I've been running mine for about 5 months now and it has performed well with no issues.
    I only paid $190 at my LBS.

TranceX Rider

How TRUE?

Nice write-up! I'd watch closely how this would slowly shape up. Kudos!

Pardon me. Don't flame me but I've jus t read somewhere else here that it's just a rebadged Joplin? Thus my question: How true?

Thanks [in advance] for those who'd chime in...

@$190 that's the lowest I've seen so far! What's d' name your LBS, Tfrost!
    Quote Originally Posted by jcatienza
    There was no need to scare potential buyers and burn bridges "buddy"
    Tell me now, what's Product testing all bout then?

mtbr member
    I would love to know the weight.
    fesch
    Riding in snow is for the desperate.

mtbr member
    It's not really a single axle/bolt holding the seat assembly...assembled, is it? How is the tilt adjusted?
    Thx!

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    Onie - I would seriously doubt that Giant would out source anything like this. They have both the design and manufacturing ability (they have made their own shocks in the past) and they are one of the largest manufacture of bicycle related items on the planet. not only that, but it doesn't even look like a joplin.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Seatpost Update

We had a freakishly warm day yesterday so I got a chance to take the bike out for a 10 mile trail ride. The trails were mostly dry, however there were some wet / muddy areas along the way. Throughout the ride, the post never failed, even when it was covered with mud and dirt. I did notice that by the end of the ride, the seat had developed very little side to side play in it. When seated, you can't feel the play at all, so this is just me being picky. Seeing that this is an adjustable post, I think it is acceptable to have very slight play in it. If it were to get a lot worse, I would most likely send it back to Giant. The thumb switch remained consistent and the post never dropped or extended when it was not supposed to. This afternoon, I cleaned my bike off and removed the seat so I could check to see if the actuator was still clean. Thankfully, their was no sign of water or dirt within the cable / actuator area (see pic) so this area looks to be pretty well protected.

As for the other questions:

1. I have no idea what the weight is. To be honest, it is light enough not to concern me as I stopped counting grams a while ago. The mud on my tires weighed more than the post!

2. A single bolt and clamps hold the seat in place and allows for up and down movement. The seat never moved on me even when it got hit fairly hard, so I would say this clamp style is more than adequate.

3. I have never messed with a Joplin, however I am pretty sure they are not the same. If you look at some close up pics of both posts, you will start to see the differences.

So far, so good. More to come once i get a chance to log more miles on it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Giant Contact Switch Droppper Post Review-postnoseat.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Onie View Post
    Nice write-up! I'd watch closely how this would slowly shape up. Kudos!

Pardon me. Don't flame me but I've jus t read somewhere else here that it's just a rebadged Joplin? Thus my question: How true?

Thanks [in advance] for those who'd chime in...

@$190 that's the lowest I've seen so far! What's d' name your LBS, Tfrost!
    Tri A Bike in Palm Desert, CA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fesch View Post
    I would love to know the weight.
    590 grams, which includes the cable and thumb lever

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    @DanoC33: Any updates on this post so far? I am considering this cause of the price.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    How much did it cost you?

TranceX Rider
    that would give an itch spez with giant stuff! LoL! Just teasing... Great ride, man!
    Quote Originally Posted by jcatienza
    There was no need to scare potential buyers and burn bridges "buddy"
    Tell me now, what's Product testing all bout then?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Anymore updates? I'd really like one of these, much cheaper than a rockshock reverb.

Neil

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by irvs View Post
    Anymore updates? I'd really like one of these, much cheaper than a rockshock reverb.

Neil
    Update.... I've used mine for almost a year now and no problems. I ride about twice a week, so it's had a lot of use (1200 miles).

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks for the info chap