Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

getting ready to purchase an all mountain bike, any suggestions?

Hello, finally got rid of my '02 gary fisher sugar 2. Getting ready to go to an all mountain bike. Living in utah now and have lots of great climbs and downhill trails here. I am looking into getting FS with at least 5 inches of travel. I am really loving the specialized enduro comp, decent price (i don't want to spend more than $3400), yet another LBS has a 2012 trek slash 7 for ($3100). I would love some input before i drop this kind of cash. I want a bike that is a decent climber and a tough on the downhills. Thanks.

RideDirt
    The Enduro Comp would fit your description , its not the greatest climber but it will climb .. Now the trade off on that is that it literally bombs downhill . Its low , slack , rails, and its in control .. I loved my enduro that i had.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I just spent 4 days on an enduro comp ('13) in Sedona. I was my first time on a specialized bike and after a day of getting used to it, it was a great bike. I wasn't really a fan of the fork/shock( new fox ctd stuff) I left both in the "descend" mode at all times. I thought it pedaled well, handled technical uphills, didn't hold me back on the downhills, and was fairly light. The rear end felt a little harsh when approaching full travel but I attribute that more to the shock than the suspension design I think.

I liked it and would recommend it, but not enough to displace my knolly endorphin.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Demo bikes. Then make your decision.

mtbr member
    I also live in Utah, started on a GF Sugar 2, went to a Yeti 575 and now a Pivot 5.7c. My perspective may not apply, I'm 60 years old, so the climbing ability has become more important. I'm up in Park City, so almost all of my riding is above 7,000 feet with climbs to 10,000. If you get the gearing low enough (mine is a 3x10 with a 22 tooth granny on the front and a 36 on the back) you can climb about anything. If you are in the same sort of area, I'd shy away from a 2x10 unless the front granny gives you that sort of option. I expect you're younger and probably stronger so it may not apply to your application, but it's something to consider.

mtbr member
    Test ride the bikes you are interested in (if you can). I just picked up a '13 Special-Ed Enduro Evo for $2900. Ya, so the suspension bits are low-end, but I just plan to ride it like I stole it until I save up for the suspension setup I really want. The Evo does have a more slack head angle than the regular Evo's and is available on the Enduro or Enduro Expert.

My first ride on the Evo was on a short XC singletrack. Peddled fine uphill and the bit of downhill was eaten up with ease. Im in AZ so most options are XC track anyways, but I also travel to Angel Fire NM to ride lift runs so I needed something that would do both.
    The Enduro Evo fit my bill in the end.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    love my 12 enduro..

rode a 10 enduro before that..

I just can't find a bike that I like more in this price point..

Would love a carbon mach 5.7 but it just isn't that much better for the money in my opinion..

you can find used ones easy too if that helps your budget..I picked up the 12 last fall for $2k (used the extra money to upgrade wheels and adjustable seatpost)
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    My Enduro has been a great Utah bike. I can climb whatever I need to, and don't have to hold back coming down the hills. It is overkill for riding areas like Corner Canyon where the trails are really smooth and Glenwyld where the trails aren't very steep, but it kills on the Crest, Little Cottonwood, and other areas where you have to pedal a little, but you want to be able to let it go on the downhills. I've also used it for lift days at Sundance, DV, and Canyons, and it was up to everything that I can handle, and then some.

Lots of good bikes in this category -- I'm not saying the Enduro is the end-all, although I love mine -- but a solid AM bike is just the ticket for Utah riding, especially if you only plan to ride one bike wherever you go.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    go test ride em, buy what you like

id look into the Santa Cruz Nomad too
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    thanks for all the input. i am going to spend some time testing some bikes. I do like the nomad also. The VPP suspension system seems very unique to all of the single pivot setups out there. possibly going to look into some used bikes also.

perpetual pucker factor
    If you live in the salt lake area, take a drive over to Go Ride on 3300 south. They are a fantastic shop with very competitive prices, and they have a great selection to test ride (unlike all the other shops that just spew Speshy fanboy-ism). I just like the no nonsense or flash approach go ride has. They sell rad bikes that work very well for the area.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    i will definitely take a drive over there. I am actually leaning towards the Santa Cruz heckler. Great price with lots of travel and has CTD.

perpetual pucker factor
    The heckler is a good bike too. Guthrie cycles on 21st south carries Santa Cruz bikes. I will say that if you get a bike with the ctd system, it wouldn't be worth it unless you get a ctd fork, shock, and seatpost. The benefits of the system wouldn't be that big if you only had part of the puzzle, and it costs quite a bit. I'd suggest going for higher end components before the ctd. Or if you can find a Nomad in that range, you will pedal so efficiently with the vpp that you won't even need the ctd at all. The Nomad really is incredible. Destroys anything in the wasatch

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I was actually at Guthrie on saturday checking out the nomad and the other models. I would love to have a nomad yet i had to re assess my funds. I can pick up a heckler from them for 2500. The fox rear shock has CTD and i believe the front fork has the basic lockout. it seems like a great deal for a 6 in travel bike. I am sure it climbs decent still.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    rhino can u suggest a different bike? I am looking for a great all mountain. I want to move up from the 3-4 in travel gary fisher i just sold. I really need to spend around 2500. I know go ride in slc has giants and a few yeti bikes. I don't mind getting a '12 at a lower price. I just hesitate getting something used since i wouldn't know how much of a beating it really took.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix555 View Post
    rhino can u suggest a different bike? I am looking for a great all mountain. I want to move up from the 3-4 in travel gary fisher i just sold. I really need to spend around 2500. I know go ride in slc has giants and a few yeti bikes. I don't mind getting a '12 at a lower price. I just hesitate getting something used since i wouldn't know how much of a beating it really took.
    I'm not Rhino, but ... when I was bike shopping about 18 months ago, you could find Giant Reigns and even Reign Xs for under $2500. Seems like a very good Wasatch Front bike -- I see plenty of them around.

I would also look for demo bikes and shop bikes that may be going on sale now with new models coming in. Some of the bigger chains like Bingham and Taylors seem to have demos and last year's models generally available.

I also would look at the used market. Lots of bikes in the SLC area, and lots of riders who get new bikes every year or 2. KSL.com 's classified section is a good resource, in case you did not know.

Good luck!
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    you cant go wrong with the Santa Cruz Heckler. its been around for a long time and gets lots of love. the RAM with the Rev front shock, direct from SC, is $2499

Santa Cruz Bicycles HECKLER
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nauc View Post
    you cant go wrong with the Santa Cruz Heckler. its been around for a long time and gets lots of love. the RAM with the Rev front shock, direct from SC, is $2499

Santa Cruz Bicycles HECKLER
    I think there are many great bikes out there, but the Heckler is a very basic single pivot bike that hasn't been changed much since its inception. Brake Jack is real on a Heckler.. It does have a good price point, but a good friend of mine was very pleased to get rid of his recently..

I don't mean to offend anyone and this is just my opinion and I am just some dude sitting in front of computer (but I have ridden mtn bikes for a long time..)
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    The heckler is great bike. But the ram package will only get you so far. After you upgrade it's parts. You could have bought a diff brand that runs an updated suspension design for less. Bye the way hecklers are the bomb. I love mine. Next upgrade is wheels

perpetual pucker factor
    agreed about the Heckler. My opinion here. The Heckler is a very simple and effective design, but it is becoming pretty dated. The brake jack on the Heckler is FAR more severe than bikes with floating pivot suspension. If the shock is properly set up for going down, it also relies very heavily on having a shock with ProPedal or similar to stop it from bobbing. Having to flip levers and lock things out sort of ruins the simplicity of the Heckler, in my opinion. My '10 Reign had a ProPedal shock, but I used it only a handful of times, because I noticed no difference with it on or off. It simply didn't need it. Pedal hard, and it stiffened up and climbed like an xc bike. Start descending, and it felt plush and bottomless. I've spent a lot of time on a Nomad, V10c, Reign, Yeti SB-66, and my current bike, a Canfield One. They all climb amazingly well, and without flipping ProPedal/CTD/lockout levers. Then they charge down trails with no brake jack, harshness, etc. I'll never go back to a non-floating pivot design again.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

getting ready to purchase an all mountain bike, any suggestions?

If you can find one, the Ibis Mojo with the x-fusion build at $2750 is a great value.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    The SLC are is as good as it gets for used bike shopping. Tons of bikers in the area, and many of them are either older wealthier guys who buy new bikes often and sell used bikes in great shape or younger guys who are just super into biking, probably have some sort of hook up, and also get new bikes every season. The young guys beat on them harder of course, but are usually pretty into wrenching and keep them in good working condition.

In your position my first goal would be to find something from a shop that's a '12 left over for cheap, but if that doesn't work I'd go used.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Funny I just sold my 02 GF Sugar 2+ today. Went from that to a 2011 TranceX1 a couple years back. Loved that bike but decided to take it up a notch and just built a Yeti SB66. The Yeti is superb.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I would recommend an Enduro Comp. I also have one at home.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks so so much for all the input! i tried out some bikes and ended up going with the 2013 heckler RAM setup. A very nice step up from my GF sugar 2+. I am sure that there are better setups out there but so far i am loving my new rig! i just wish it would stop snowing long enough to be able to ride it two consecutive days in a row! A VPP suspension would have been nice but couldn't spend that kind of money right now. Anyways, i appreciate all the info.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast