mtbr member
    Aug 2008

getting cranks off bike

how do i get my crank arms/chainrings off my frame, i need to install a chain guide

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Depends on the crank. Post what kind of crankset you have.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Why do you have to take off the crank arms? Can't you just take the extra chainring off with an hex tool and then slip the chain guide over and through the crank arms?

backwoods and backwards
    Go to the park tool website. Great resource for the do it yourself wrench.
    Live the life you love!

TNC
    noMAD man
    Quote Originally Posted by LowLow
    Why do you have to take off the crank arms? Can't you just take the extra chainring off with an hex tool and then slip the chain guide over and through the crank arms?
    Don't most chainguides clamp under a BB cup or bolt to ISCG mounts at the BB? Maybe you're thinking of just the bashguard? Many of those just require removal of the big ring.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    What model are your cranks?
    Just get a size 8 allen wrench, and remove the screw thing in the middle of the crank. The crank should then come off with a little force.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    ok ive got "evolved dh race face" cranks. I took out that bolt that garlock mentioned but i can not pull it off. And no i am not thinking of the bashcaurd.
    This is basicaly the same thing im trying to get on, so the hole is clearly too small to fit around even the smallest chainguide
    http://www.pricepoint.com/images/sty...5%20BLAST6.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    oh and i got the other crankarm off(not the one with the chain rings) earlier by accident because if forgot to put the bolt on, so durring a ride it just fell off.
    but i can not pull of the other side for the life of me

TNC
    noMAD man
    I'm guessing these are ISIS splined cranks?...or some other separate crankarms and BB spindle system? If so, you'll need a puller. If I'm understanding you correctly, the BB spindle and bearings are going to remain as a separate unit in the BB shell, while both side crankarms will come off. This usually requires a tool that screws into threads of the crankarms and then "pushes" into the end of the spindle. It's nearly impossible to get a properly mounted crankarm designed like this off the spindle without a proper tool.

If you have a more modern "thru-axle" spindle design that is actually fixed to the driveside of the crankset with just bearing cups threaded into the frame's BB, then you just pull the driveside crankarm off after removing the non-driveside end cap and any securing bolts/nuts on the non-driveside crankarm itself. Ocassionally you have to whack the end of the spindle with a wooden or plastic mallet to get it too loosen.

Warning...you do have to know which system you have as removal is dramatically different.

I am a pathetic rider...
    Sep 2007
    The race face evolve DH cranks have an integrated crank puller, just turn the 10mm cap clockwise and it will pull the cranks off for you.
    Save the Earth, Ride a Cyclist

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    Don't most chainguides clamp under a BB cup or bolt to ISCG mounts at the BB? Maybe you're thinking of just the bashguard? Many of those just require removal of the big ring.
    Woops, I was thinking of the bashguard. Pretty stupid considering I just put on a P30 on my bike and had to take off the cranks.

THELAND photographer
    get out the mallett...hit spindle towards bike...dont hit the frame at all that could be bad...repeat....drive side crank will pop off if you have the integrated spindle cranks....

mtbr member
    A picture or two might help us help you.

squish is good
    If it's an external type Bottom Bracket crank they can be a pain. What I do is leave the large center bolt threaded maybe 2 full turns but still kind of sticking out. Then take the hammer and give that sucker a couple mighty smacks. I'm not kidding, you need to hit it pretty hard. I'd recommend tapping harder and harder till it starts moving to avoid damaging the threads but I've had to hit mine pretty dang hard to get it to separate and I've got 4 years on that crankset without damaging the threads yet. Anyways, that will drive the two sides apart, once they come loose you can take the bolt off and just tug them apart. You'll never get that crankset off just pulling on it though, I've never come close with mine.

If it's an ISIS type then it shouldn't be this hard. Post pics if you can and we can figure out whats going on.
    Bike good, work bad.

backwoods and backwards
    Live the life you love!