mtbr member
    May 2013

Getting back into riding

I've not been riding mtb for the past 4 years. Mainly rid Santa Cruz/Scott's valley area. Nothing crazy. My question is I'm looking at the 2013 Kona Process ($3100) or the Transition Covert 2 26' ($3900). Anyone one swear up and down on these bikes? Or could point me to another bike. Looking to be able to climb but really enjoy my descents. Any help would be greeeaaat!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    You could probably build a Santa Cruz Bronson up for around that price. It has 150mm travel and 27.5" wheels. If you want to stick with the bikes listed i would go with the kona but that's just personally preference because the will both perform around the same. Try to ride bit if you can and decide go from there.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Getting back into riding

Quote Originally Posted by Electrin View Post
    You could probably build a Santa Cruz Bronson up for around that price. It has 150mm travel and 27.5" wheels. If you want to stick with the bikes listed i would go with the kona but that's just personally preference because the will both perform around the same. Try to ride bit if you can and decide go from there.
    Thanks. I do like their Nomad series but will try to rent/demo before buying.

mtbr member
    id look into some Santa Cruz bikes
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    I would be honest with yourself in determining how much travel you need. It's my general observation that most people have more travel than their local trails or riding ability requires.

The UK enduro series was won last year on a Santa Cruz Trc which has 125mm of rear travel. I have the same bike and when I rode Demo on Sunday it handled it with ease.

The choice is ultimately yours but having a lighter, shorter travel bike will always be a big help on the climbs which is pretty important in the area you'll be riding in.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Transition Covert.. But im biased because I ordered one last week and now Im going to be picking mine up in a few hours.. Day off, Im taking it straight up to shred the hills..

mtbr member
    May 2013

Getting back into riding

Quote Originally Posted by Wazzatron View Post
    I would be honest with yourself in determining how much travel you need. It's my general observation that most people have more travel than their local trails or riding ability requires.

The UK enduro series was won last year on a Santa Cruz Trc which has 125mm of rear travel. I have the same bike and when I rode Demo on Sunday it handled it with ease.

The choice is ultimately yours but having a lighter, shorter travel bike will always be a big help on the climbs which is pretty important in the area you'll be riding in.
    Good point ill keep my eyes open and look a little more into other less beafy

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Swedish Wait View Post
    Good point ill keep my eyes open and look a little more into other less beafy
    Have you looked at the Transition Bandit? I just got one and it'll be a long time before I need anything more. But when I do, the Covert is already at the top of the list.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Just Buy the Covert, you know you want it.. I put 17 miles on, in the trails today and absolutely love it.. It's super solid and justmakes you want to jump everything, It's fun to ride and that's what's most important..

Oh yeah, it climbs like a beast too.. Flick on the climb lever and no bobbing, it gets great traction. I was really surprised and very happy with the way it climbed. I did a few steep and technical sections of the trail also. It didn't feel any different than the trek fuel i came off. Just al little heavier, but soooo much better and more fun that it's worth it. although the trek fuel is a hell of a bike too..
    Last edited by Dirk77; 05-11-2013 at 07:15 AM.

Gnar
    Transition Covert. Been on one since 2007. Currently on a 2010. Climbs great and I love a good climbing bike and super fun and fast on the downhills.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Getting back into riding

Yeah I'm always looking to get something ill use as I progress rather than have to buy another bike down the road...thanks for all the input. I appreciate it.