Resident Newbie
    Jun 2007

Smile Gettin' there..... PITA......

I guess I'm gettin' there. I went for a 12 mile ride today but it was only on the Bike and Hike trail so it doesn't count as trails. I'm tryin to get in shape for the trails. Man does my a$$ hurt. Is that something that you get used to or does my seat suck. It's the one that came stock on my new Trek 6000. Thus, the Pain In The A$$ in the title.

thats right living legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn Rider
    I guess I'm gettin' there. I went for a 12 mile ride today but it was only on the Bike and Hike trail so it doesn't count as trails. I'm tryin to get in shape for the trails. Man does my a$$ hurt. Is that something that you get used to or does my seat suck. It's the one that came stock on my new Trek 6000. Thus, the Pain In The A$$ in the title.

It stops hurting after two weeks of regular riding.

after that you'll forget all about it.

Resident Newbie
    Jun 2007
    Nice......thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    mmmm.. the virgin seat pains.. Just got over having those a month ago.

mtbr member

Your initial soreness will go away after a couple rides but that doesn't mean your rump will never hurt again. Some days my rump hurts and sometimes not a peep. I have a freeride saddle so it isn't very cush.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Do you wear cycling short (baggies or lycra) with a padded chamois?

Edit: Your seat could suck as well. Everybody's tush is different. Give it a few more rides.
    Last edited by kapusta; 07-09-2007 at 09:56 AM.

Afric Pepperbird
    My arse hurts only after the first ride of each season, after the long winter lay-off. After the subsequent ride, the pain disappears completely.

56-year-old teenager
    Aug 2006
    A sore butt could mean too much time spent with your full weight on the saddle. This is common on easy trails and road rides. Get into the more interesting terrain and you'll be out of the saddle more - or you'll wind up over the bars!

thats right living legend
    The initial soreness someone feels when first starting out "riding seriously" is something that is unlike the feeling one gets when just on a particularly loooong, brutal ride. Where as the "virgin saddle" soreness seems much more unbearable. Also I agree if I spend a long amount of time off the bike for an injury or what have you I feel that "virgen saddle soreness" but no more than one ride.

Like I said two weeks.

Resident Newbie
    Jun 2007
    I'll probably get a pair of baggy mountain bike shorts. Padded if possible, my budget is shot since I bought the bike though.

mtbr member
    really? arse pains in an all mountain forum?

Resident Newbie
    Jun 2007
    Is there an arse pain forum that I should have posted in instead?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'll probably get a pair of baggy mountain bike shorts. Padded if possible, my budget is shot since I bought the bike though.
    Makes a HUGE difference. Even a pair of cheap lycra shorts or liners to wear under normal shorts helps.