Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010

To get dropper post... Or to get new brakes?

So I am going on a trip out west in a couple weeks for a month. I'll be hitting all the major spots (fruits, moab, etc). I have a heckler and have upgraded a few things in the past couple weeks (dbair shock, tubeless and new tires, icetech 180's front and rear). I have some spare cash to either get a new set of shimano xt brakes. My current brakes are juicy 3's which I am not too pleased with. Or I can get a dropper post like the reverb or a ks. Which route do you think I should go for the trip. I will end up with both eventually, but being a college student I can only afford one prior to the trip.

mtbr member
    Dropper is a luxury. I don't feel the same way about brakes.
    Time wounds all heels...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Yea i hear you on that. But its gotta be pretty nice being able to keep your flow instead of getting off the bike to lower the seat.

Are the xt brakes my best option to pair with my icetech rotors. My budget is under 300$ for brakes front and rear. Is there a better option for that price tag?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    dropper post! you already have brakeset, as long as they work fine.

mtbr member
    I hear the SLX brakes are extremely similar and function just as well.
    Poke around for some sales and you might have enough left over to get
    much closer to having a new dropper as well!
    Time wounds all heels...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The dropper posts are $$$. Are there any that are closer to 200$ that are still good.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    What do you not like about your current brakes, and what kind of terrain do you plan on riding on this trip? I'm waiting for dropper posts to get cheaper and more reliable. I don't regret upgrading to XT brakes for a minute.
    Justin
    Salt Lake City
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    2006 Specialized Allez Expert Double

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Ive just had a bunch of issues with my juicy 3's. And even when they're working they are pretty mediocre. I love technical and fast downhills and my current brakes just dont have the bite/power/modulation to make me feel comfortable a lot of the time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I would go dropper personally. you wouldn't believe how much you use it when you have it. never have to stop to raise back up for even the shortest seated climbs. even if its a moderate trails but some technical: and you still need to pedal, just nudge it down. if it gets steep. you can go as low as needed. and if you want to hit a kicker or really whip the bike around you can just dump it. greatest invention ever for versatile trail riding. I wanted one so bad once I found out they made such a device. it really combines fun riding with distance riding. for the price of a ks eten I really think you cant lose.
    this is the same technology in all the ks droppers. and top choice in reliability next to the reverb last time I checked. plus you can just mail it to ks usa with with a printed sevice form off ks's website if you have any issues. but most are pretty happy with ks out of the box for a reasonable amount of time. I research alot trying to find the best bang for buck dropper. only down side is the eten uses some heavier materials and how the cable has to move when the post drops. I have the i900 and have no complaints yet. think about how much some tires cost.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    A dropper post falls in line in the evolution of mountain bikes with suspension and disk brakes. An absolute necessity for trail riding here in the Rockies. I'd go as far as to say it can save your life! I've dropped my seat in a hurry and saved myself an endo or three.
    I love my Fox Doss for functionality and reliability. I have a Lev on order to get a little more drop. 150mm with suit me better than 125mm. I'm 6'4" on a Nomad with a 155mm wide seat. I just love it. You can go from XC to dirt jumper and back at the push of a button. A true game changer. Who cares if it adds a pound to your bike. I don't even feel like its an option to ride without one.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Baller30 View Post
    So I am going on a trip out west in a couple weeks for a month. I'll be hitting all the major spots (fruits, moab, etc). I have a heckler and have upgraded a few things in the past couple weeks (dbair shock, tubeless and new tires, icetech 180's front and rear). I have some spare cash to either get a new set of shimano xt brakes. My current brakes are juicy 3's which I am not too pleased with. Or I can get a dropper post like the reverb or a ks. Which route do you think I should go for the trip. I will end up with both eventually, but being a college student I can only afford one prior to the trip.
    Depends on how much you hate your Juicys.

I have bb7s which are not as nice as xt's or slx brakes. But if I had a choice of upgrading to xt or having a dropper post, I would go with the dropper post. It's pretty much a no-brainer for me.

On the other hand, if the issue is that the Juicys are preventing you from riding, that's a different story.

If you get a dropper, you can get a Gravity Dropper for $220 here: Gravity Dropper Classic Seatpost > Components > Saddles and Seatposts > Seatposts | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Not as fancy as the Reverb or KS, but no other post has the track record for reliability that the GD does.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    If you're savvy in the classifieds/ebay and look for deals, you could probably find a used dropper and a set of decent brakes for around your $300 budget. I got my hands on a KS 950 with remote and a set of slx brakes for right around $325

Huffy Rider
    Outside outfitters .com has the KS drop zone with the lever for like $170 shipped, I have 3 of them and they work awesome. Buy the dropper, take your time and bleed the brakes properly....read, take them off and follow every single step to a T.

Edit to fix the name of the retailer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    Depends on how much you hate your Juicys.

I have bb7s which are not as nice as xt's or slx brakes. But if I had a choice of upgrading to xt or having a dropper post, I would go with the dropper post. It's pretty much a no-brainer for me.

On the other hand, if the issue is that the Juicys are preventing you from riding, that's a different story.

If you get a dropper, you can get a Gravity Dropper for $220 here: Gravity Dropper Classic Seatpost > Components > Saddles and Seatposts > Seatposts | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Not as fancy as the Reverb or KS, but no other post has the track record for reliability that the GD does.
    This...BTW, Backcountry has a sale going on this weekend.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I do not see any ks dropper post on backcountry whatsoever... Where did you see that.
    Ok found the lev on there, but its out of my budget.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I had a set of Avid Elixr brakes on my bike last summer, and they never worked properly. I eventually swapped them out for XT brakes and rotors. The difference is huge. I'm never wondering if my brakes will overheat and bind up on long descents, or if I will be able to hold myself back on technical descents, or if the brakes are just going to completely fail on a ride (my Elixrs did that twice). Personally, I'd look at brakes as a safety and control issue, and look at a dropper post as more of a convenience.
    Justin
    Salt Lake City
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    2006 Specialized Allez Expert Double

Huffy Rider
    MY BAD! I will edit, it was at outside outfitters .com They had some a few days ago when I sent my friend this link.

Kind Shock Dropzone (i900) Seatpost - Outside Outfitters

mtbr member
    I'd go dropper post. Bikebling.com has all Kind Shocks on sale for the holiday BikeBling.com - 1-800-BIKEPRO is Bike Bling

Discount codes:
    freedom13 will get you 10% off any order
    15off300 will get you 15% off orders $300 or more

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    If your present brakes were solid, I'd say go for the dropper. But the Juicy 3s are kinda garbage so I'd get the XT brakes.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire 26er
    2005 Trek Bruiser urban single speed

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Your current brake setup is preventing you from riding the way you like to. Can you say the same about your seat post? If not, this is a no-brainer, and the brakes should be upgraded first.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Awesome, I just ordered a 150mm supernatural with remote off of there with your coupon for 230. Not bad considering that is on jenson for 300 and the cheapest anywhere else is 260. Free shipping too. The plus is I really wanted a 150mm drop and that feature seemed to bring a higher price tag with most posts. Now lets see if I can find some xt brakes. Oh boy I have upgraditis!

JDM
    mtbr member
    My juicy 3s always worked fine for me. I would give them a fresh bleed and run them a little longer so I could get a dropper right away.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    good call on the dropper!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Xt brakes on order as well now. I have a serious problem.

DBY
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Baller30 View Post
    Xt brakes on order as well now. I have a serious problem.
    It's all good. Better than spending it on hookers and blow.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast