mtbr member

Geometry comparisons (HD140,5-Spot,SB-66)

I know the only way to get a true feel for a bike is to ride it. I've had a chance to ride the HD140, but have not yet found a demo for 5-Spot or SB-66.

In comparing the three, it seems the HD140 and 5-Spot are bit more similar. Specifically I'm looking at two areas of geometry...virtual top tube and wheelbase. I'm interested in learning more about these because the numbers for the Yeti are so different, and without the opportunity to test ride, I'm trying understand what the differences mean.

Are there advantages to a longer (or shorter) virtual top tube for a particular style of riding?

Are there advantages to a longer (or shorter) wheelbase for a particular style of riding?

Here are some numbers for comparison (Size L), as you can see the Yeti is longer all around. What would that translate to for real world handling characteristics?

Virtual Top Tube:
    HD140: 23.7"
    5-Spot: 23.6"
    SB-66: 25.1" (seemingly big difference)

Wheelbase:
    HD140: 44.4"
    5-Spot: (WB not listed on Turner site, but chainstay is less than .25" difference from HD140 so I'm guessing WB is at least similar b/t the two)
    SB-66: 46.3" (seemingly big difference)

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ebeer View Post
    I know the only way to get a true feel for a bike is to ride it. I've had a chance to ride the HD140, but have not yet found a demo for 5-Spot or SB-66.

In comparing the three, it seems the HD140 and 5-Spot are bit more similar. Specifically I'm looking at two areas of geometry...virtual top tube and wheelbase. I'm interested in learning more about these because the numbers for the Yeti are so different, and without the opportunity to test ride, I'm trying understand what the differences mean.

Are there advantages to a longer (or shorter) virtual top tube for a particular style of riding?

Are there advantages to a longer (or shorter) wheelbase for a particular style of riding?

Here are some numbers for comparison (Size L), as you can see the Yeti is longer all around. What would that translate to for real world handling characteristics?

Virtual Top Tube:
    HD140: 23.7"
    5-Spot: 23.6"
    SB-66: 25.1" (seemingly big difference)

Wheelbase:
    HD140: 44.4"
    5-Spot: (WB not listed on Turner site, but chainstay is less than .25" difference from HD140 so I'm guessing WB is at least similar b/t the two)
    SB-66: 46.3" (seemingly big difference)
    checkout "stack & reach" before you make decisions based on the #'s for top tube alone. even wheelbase #'s will be effected by "S & R", but generally the longer wheel base bikes will be more stable @ higher speeds & slower to maneuver in tighter slower corners. not much info. here, so talk to manufacturers about S & B if it's not listed in the specs.
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Yeti's tend to run longer in the TT area than many other MFGs. Use the Med as your comparison for the SB-66, not the L.

24.1 TT, 45.2 WB.(150mm fork)

They dont list reach or stack.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge View Post
    checkout "stack & reach" before you make decisions based on the #'s for top tube alone. even wheelbase #'s will be effected by "S & R", but generally the longer wheel base bikes will be more stable @ higher speeds & slower to maneuver in tighter slower corners. not much info. here, so talk to manufacturers about S & B if it's not listed in the specs.
    I'll check out the R&S, however not all mfg's report these numbers making comparisons difficult. I'm certainly not looking to make a decision purely on TT or WB #'s. I just notice that for bikes seemingly in the same class, Yeti is very different than others in the same category. I understand the holistic approach and that all geometry must be considered, however with these two measurements being so different from other mfg's it makes me wonder why.

Truth be told I don't care that much about geometry. I'd much rather just test ride and buy what feels right. But with limited availability of SB-66 I'm hoping to understand the differences until I can get some saddle time.

www.derbyrims.com
    Look for KRob's recent 2011 ibike review of the SB-66, sounds like a great tail bike.

The HD at 140mm is slacker, lighter, and stiffer than a 5 Spot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by derby View Post
    Look for KRob's recent 2011 ibike review of the SB-66, sounds like a great tail bike.

Carbon's surely stiffer, but I wonder if the new 142x12 rear will help stiffen up the 2012 5-Spot. For slacker, the HD140 lists on their website almost a full degree steeper than the 5-Spot.

Anyway, enough analysis paralysis...I just want to get a leg over the SB-66 and "feel" the difference instead of reading about it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by derby View Post

Well you got the lighter and stiffer part right... I guess Turner did a lousy job getting word out on their new geometry.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

wuss
    I took a quick spin on a mojo hd 160 and it seemed to run small. The one I tried was xl and felt close in size to my size L uzzi. The owner mentioned always running size L with other brands before too...

I would guess any recimmendations from the manufacturer regarding rider height would be different?

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    Well you got the lighter and stiffer part right... I guess Turner did a lousy job getting word out on their new geometry.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Hum... yes checked again, no change recently to ether's published. The HD140 Ibis combined head and seat angles are 0.7 degrees slacker than the 5 Spot. Not a minor detail. Is the Turner site out of date?
    Last edited by derby; 09-24-2011 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Mistaken.. said .4', in fact .7' slacker

mbtr member
    The yeti is just a little bit slacker, a little bit lower, a bit longer wheelbase, has a little bit more travel, has a toptube that encourages a little longer stem... it's a more descending oriented bike, on paper.