Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Gear Slips?

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  unfluid one 
#1 ·
Hey all!!! I'm new to the forum but got a question regarding gears. Sometimes when I'm riding my bike and just coasting and after a while I decide to start pedaling and when I do, it feels like the gears slip and which ever foot starts the pedaling it all the sudden just drops fast. What does that mean? I hope it makes sense of what I just said...is there a quick fix/adjustment for it...any help would be great...thanks!!!

Mike

#2 ·
mossimo817 said:
Hey all!!! I'm new to the forum but got a question regarding gears. Sometimes when I'm riding my bike and just coasting and after a while I decide to start pedaling and when I do, it feels like the gears slip and which ever foot starts the pedaling it all the sudden just drops fast. What does that mean? I hope it makes sense of what I just said...is there a quick fix/adjustment for it...any help would be great...thanks!!!

Mike
SOUNDS, more like 'chain slip' to me. Is it a smooth slip or chattery slip? If your chain is skipping the most common reasons are:

•New chain on old cassette
•Old chain on a new cassette
•chain too long.

#4 ·
oooorrrr...it could just be the rear derailleur needs adjustment? Does the chain skip only under load... or also under pedaling in general.

if it's the latter and you haven't done this, put ur bike in a bike stand (or hang it on a branch.. or maybe flip it upside down). Pedal the bike, and starting from one end of the rear D gear range and cycle through it. When you hit a gear that hesitates in shifting, or skips, or doesn't shift at all, take the barrel adjuster at the rear derailleur and give it a turn (one of or the other) until the shift to that naughty gear is smooth. Then move onto the next gear. Takes a bit of experimentation, but eventually you should be able to shift smoothly.

otherwise, probably one of the issues the other guys raised.

#6 ·
Well I haven't done anything to my bike at al...everything is the same. The only time I noticed the slipping was pretty much when I pedal but when I shift gears it also doesn't shift properly...I hope that helps describe it more...should I try to adjust the derailleur?

#7 ·
yeah... try adjusting ur rear derailleur. One other thing, if you reach a point where you can't turn the barrel any further, you may have to slacken or tighten ur cable. shift to your smallest cog, turn the barrel to a midway point, undo the cable's anchor bolt on ur rear derailleur, pull on the cable with one hand (pliers can help) and retighten the bolt. And try to adjust the derailleur again.

Also see if your hanger is bent... your LBS can tell pretty quickly if you just drop by.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.