mtbr member
    Nov 2010

GD Turbo without the boot, not bad at all.

I know most people say GD is ugly, but it just works. I agree about the look, it is the boot thats ugly. I hv been running my GD without the boot for 2 years, no problem.

I did rode during rain / mud a few times, the dirt could not stop GD from working. Just clean afterwards. Luckily not many rain here in Socal.
    I rarely dismantle it, only just last week I replaced the inner shim, because the play had become too obvious. Also replaced new seal and bushing plus external shim for different bike, feel solid, like new, total $15 from GD. very easy to do, just watch the video.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Almost buy the kronolog, just becoz the look, and I wanted something new, but after reading the review here, I keep my GD, just shim up.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Looks good. What kind of cable housing is that at the seatpost? How did you join the two cable housings? My cable keeps kinking at that spot and it looks like you have found a solution to that problem.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Hmmmm, looks okay... I guess it's not that hard to pull apart and clean. I do love my gravity dropper but hate the boot.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dhelm72 View Post
    Looks good. What kind of cable housing is that at the seatpost? How did you join the two cable housings? My cable keeps kinking at that spot and it looks like you have found a solution to that problem.
    thats just a brake cable noodle i bought from lbs, $6. usually for v-brake part. I had to modifiy it a little bit, the noodle was cut a bit becoz it was too long.
    Before with noodle, I snapped the cable by the post once, so i went to lbs to get gear cable and also this noodle.
    you can search ebay for brake cable noodle.
    good luck.

mtbr member
    Too bad GD hasn't come up with a low profile solution to that appendage sticking out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I've been running a BG turbo 30.9 for two years without the boot. I do take it apart and clean it occasionally. I've had no problems running without the boot. I do live in a dry climate (Utah) and have the cable facing forward like in the pic above. I've also been running a brake noodle for a few years which works great for cable routing (I found some small ones with a tighter bend). The GD is simple light and effective. I just wish they had a better remote. Anyone tried to make a KS lever work? It would take a screw on barrel or something similar.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hrdude View Post
    Too bad GD hasn't come up with a low profile solution to that appendage sticking out.

It's just happy to see you

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hrdude View Post
    The new Gravity Dropper LP is a little lower profile:
    Turbo Comparison | GravityDropper - Adjustable Height Seatpost