mtbr member
    Apr 2006

GD Turbo Vs. RS Reverb???

Fellas,

My lovely wife informed me today that she was planning on getting me a gravity dropper for Christmas. I have had a classic in the past and unfortunately sold it when a bike came with a Mav Speedball...(stupid). I want a 5 inch post and I have a 2010 Transition Covert with 31.6 mm post. If I am not mistaken the GD Turbo 5" only comes in the 30.9 size and I don't believe they make a shim to fit a 31.6. I do like the low maintenance and simplicity of the GD, and also I like the idea of a set 1" drop for tech riding...but looks are not the greatest not that it really matters.

Then there is the Reverb. Price is close to the same, and it is infinitely adjustable. But I guess reliability is still unknown. I am a fan of RS and would like to try this product, but I sure do like the ability to work on the GD and just replace a few shims if it develops play over time. Will developing play even be an issue with the Reverb? I guess if I can't get a 5" GD to work with my seatpost size then my question will be answered anyways!

Sorry for the long post, just want to make sure I make the right decision...lotta $$$$

Aaron::

T.W.O.
    Sounded like you already made up your mind on getting Reverb, Cool go for it. I'm a fan of KS, but Reverb is cool.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    yeah, guess I probably have made my mind up...just wanted to hear from you AM experts before I drop the coin!

usually cranky
    i looked at both and settled on the reverb for the same reasons you mentioned.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    i looked at both and settled on the reverb for the same reasons you mentioned.
    b-kul, how are you running your remote.

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885
    b-kul, how are you running your remote.
    id send you some pics but my bike is 500 miles away. anyways i have the remote flipped and running under my bars next to my grip. its kinda tight that way with 685's but when i swith to 720's i should have a bit more relastate. i run shimano shifters btw.

usually cranky
    looks just like tuff gong's set up on page 3 of the reverb thread but the shifter pod is further inboared and shimano.

edit: if my memory serves i run my shifters inboard of my brakes. so it offers okay breathing room.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    id send you some pics but my bike is 500 miles away. anyways i have the remote flipped and running under my bars next to my grip. its kinda tight that way with 685's but when i swith to 720's i should have a bit more relastate. i run shimano shifters btw.
    500 miles Hope it's not a down time.
    Thanks, Got it. Love the remote action on the Reverb. Good thing is that running it up or down still pretty good.

usually cranky
    kinda down time. bike is at home in cape cod and skis come up to uvm with me. hopefully i can get some good rides in over winter break.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks guys, guess Reverb it is!