mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Gary Fisher Sugar 1 or Trek Fuel 90?

Looking to upgrade my GF Tassajara 03 with a full suspension bike. I would like disc brakes but really don't know if it is that much better and cannot seem to fit it in my budget. I am looking at the two used bikes;

2000 GF Sugar 1 for just over $700 just tuned and has a few extras on it.

Or

2001 Trek Fuel 90 for half the price and appears in great shape with some minimal extras as well.

I am still an intermediate rider and ride mountain trails, some technical, etc. but just looking into a full suspension to see if this is the route for me. Again I think with more mountain trails since I have moved to AZ a full suspension bike will suit me better. Any suggestions on the above two bikes would be great. According to the book guide for used values the Trek Fuel 90 is a better buy based on what it books at used and how much the guy will take for the bike. The GF Sugar 1 is priced closer to book, about $55 under.

mtbr member
    The Sugar is a great bike, but that thing better have brand new disc brakes for $700. It may not even have the rear dropout that you can bolt discs to.

I'd roll with the Fuel depending on the components on the two bikes (get one with disc brakes).

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Well the blue book pricing on the Sugar is over $800 without disc brakes and neither of these have disc brakes. Again, these are somewhat stock bikes neither with disc brakes. The Sugar is priced about $60 below book and the Fuel 90 about $125 below book.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    it would depend on which seemed in better condition. especially the rear shock and pivots. you can always throw a new rockshox fork on like an xc 32tk or whatever. plus shifting brakes and overall condition.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by akiracornell View Post
    it would depend on which seemed in better condition. especially the rear shock and pivots. you can always throw a new rockshox fork on like an xc 32tk or whatever. plus shifting brakes and overall condition.
    The Sugar was just serviced and tuned by a local bike shop. The Trek I have no idea. Taking a look at the Sugar today and not sure when I can fit in the Trek. And the GF is a Sugar 1 which seems to be the top of the line Sugars.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I went with the Sugar 1. He was asking $750, book shows a little over $800 but he took $600. It was just serviced and still has the original tires which I am surprised are still in great shape, not cracking and still have life left. I didn't even check out the Fuel 90 which I wished I had, but I really like this bike and think I made a good decision.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Sweet. Enjoy mtb. Search far and wide for great places to ride.