mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Gary Fisher Joshua F1 rebuild

I don't know why I like this albatross. I found this, while looking at a guys Marin B-17, in a heap at the back of the shed. Should I try to get the aluminum frame painted or not? The graphics are awesome, I would be surprised if I could replace them, and I feel the need to keep them.

Anyway, most of the stx-rc components look usable and the wheelset, Mavic 138/parallax is true and will be used on the bike. One thing I have questions about is the rear SID shock. The shock seems ok but, there seems to be no rebuild kits anymore. Pros give me some help here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Just FYI, you are in the wrong forum for this. "Bike and Frame" would probably be more appropirate. As far as the bike, unless this is like your dream bike or something, then its not really worth spending time or money rebuilding this bike. The rear shock is old, and I would not trust it to remain leak free. I doubt you could even find a replacement shock that would work, and if you could its going to cost more than that bike is worth. So my advce is slap it back together, get it tuned up and ride it until it dies. Do you even have a fork for it?
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

www.derbyrims.com
    Make it an object of art. It would make a classic lawn ornament.

After all, this is the very design WalMart copied for their $100 high end suspension bikes

mtbr member
    That was my first full suspension bike I think it was a 98 XO. I upgrade my shock to a Stratos Helix coil over air shock and upgraded rear triagle that increase the travel and had disc brake mounts. I agree with the others unless this is a winter project or something for your kids I would not spend a lot of money. It pedals like crap.

yelgatgab
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by eluv View Post
    It pedals like crap.
    Not with the thumb shifter lockout!

I had the Joshua 2, same model year. The SID was a ***** to get right with the separate air chambers. I ended up blowing it during a ride and had to get it replaced. Fun first FS bike, but yeah, URTs disappeared for a reason.

Picture Unrelated
    It's a cool old school bike but you have to understand that it's trail performance isn't even up to par with the entry level hardtails you can pick up these days. I would build it and ride it a bit, but don't get your expectations up too high.

You might be able to find parts for that shock though HippieTech or one of the other online retailers. It's probably worth a try. If it's just an air sealing o-ring, most cities have an industrial supply company that will deal in o-rings and they might be able to come up with something that fits in there.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?