Making tracks
    Jul 2006

FSRxc frame integrity

I"m looking to upgrade my '05 FSRxc. The Manitou Axel Comp will be shot soon and I'm not bothering to service it..but rather replace it (hopefully) with a Fox or Rock Shox. The Fox Float R or Rock Shox Revelation 426 U-turn would do just great. Both are 130mm with the Revelation being adjustable down to 100mm(?) I've read positives and negatives about increasing the front travel on the FSRxc. Has anyone attempted to up the travel in the front and/or rear? The Specialized techs say its risky considering they don't test them higher than 100mm. Other riders tell me as long as the geometry is kept the same front and rear, you should have a problem. Any thoughts on this? I'm really looking to get a new fork for performance and hopefully some weight reduction. Would like the versatility of more travel ..at least another 20mm.

mtbr member
    Ive got an older FSRxc (Small Frame) and have a Marzocchi 130mm front fork on it. I wanted more front travel and thus far it has worked flawlessly. No cracks or weird things in the frame. I am not all into geometry, but all I know is that the frame and forks fit me perfectly.

Making tracks
    Jul 2006
    Good to know from someone who's done it. How was the performance when you upgraded to 130mm? Did it change the handling much? Did you go for more gnarly trails afterward?