mtbr member
    Feb 2007

FSA V-Drive w/ Mega Exo BB Info Needed

am a heavy person and for my Clydesdale
    I would like to add these affordable cranks (SS) to my Italian threaded 70mm frame...

Can I get a std ($50) FSA Mega Exo Italian BB assy for these Cranks?

or am I limited to English threads only!

thx,

Chris Hazard
    Richmond, VA.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

You could make it work, but...

FSA offers italian MEXO bottom brackets for their road cranksets.

The hitch as I see it would be width... the MTB bottom brackets are designed to accommodate 73mm wide shells with the addition of one 2.5mm spacer, or 68mm with three 2.5mm spacers for a total of 75.5mm between cups. The road BB will be 68mm between cups with no room for spacers, and that will mean your BB spindle will be too long. You could install the BB using three 2.5 mm spacers and this would mean you would have to skip using the center shell of the BB. Now your crankset fits and is usable, but you would pay a price in durability because the bearings would be exposed internally and you would only be engaging only about 1/4" of threads on the driveside cup. This might be okay for a 120lb chica, but might be a bad deal for a large man.

Which begs the REAL question... why is your ATB frame Italian threaded? Even Colnago and other exotics switched to English for ATB years ago (or so I thought!)

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by CAHazard
    am a heavy person and for my Clydesdale
    I would like to add these affordable cranks (SS) to my Italian threaded 70mm frame...

Can I get a std ($50) FSA Mega Exo Italian BB assy for these Cranks?

or am I limited to English threads only!

thx,

Chris Hazard
    Richmond, VA.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Well it is a short story (going long)
    as I am a heavy rider...

would like to fit my 3 speed Italia road frame with a heavier MTB SS crankset
    and a 7 speed internal hub...

tis all...
    just a cheap project and am wondering if anyone has done that conversion...

I am 53 years old and go back to the sq. tapered cranks so I am not at all up on the new HollowTech II setup and any conversions for Italian frames but the frame that I came across just came back from the paint shop and determination is that it is a Italia threading.

I know the Shimano M572 Deore LX using the HollowTech I (BB-ES51) will do it...
    tho' the bracket is hard to find here in the US (and is more available in the UK).

but I want to go to HollowTEch II if possible (or Mega Exo equiv.) and I was told by
    Bikeparts.com that they can sell me a 70mm Italian Bracket for that crank
    (the FSA V-Drive Mexo) - but I have never assembled a set so am unaware of shimming restrictions.

I was hoping one could cross assemble the (2) types of cranks into the (3) available frame widths for various forms of dirt, track, road and cyclocross stuff that has evolved over the years...

thx,

CA