mtbr member
    Nov 2008

FSA Orbit ZS-3 headset: crown seal doesn't fit. help?

This is a Sette Flite frame with a 2010 Revelation fork and an FSA ZS-3 headset. I installed it and it looks very wrong:
    FSA Orbit ZS-3 headset: crown seal doesn't fit. help?-fsa-zs-3-crown-1.jpg

Notice that the dust seal is conspicuously missing, and that the gap between crown and headtube is entirely too big. I tried putting the dust seal on, but it is about 2mm thick and this gap is much bigger than that. Also, the dust seal doesn't really "snap on" or mate to anything, it just flops around, so I removed it. I lightly preloaded the top cap and tightened the stem on, and it spins smoothly all the way around and there is no knocking or loose feeling when I bounce around on it. So what's going on? Did I get the lower bearing on backwards?

I must confess, the crown race is off a Cane Creek Inner Peace zero-stack headset, so it's not the exactly the one that came with the FSA headset. They look just about identical to my eye, except the FSA race has no notch cut into it and must be pressed at a bike shop, whereas the Cane Creek race has a notch and can be installed and removed with no tools. I used the CC one just to make everything else looked good (and it doesn't), and plan to install the FSA race at a bike shop later. I got the headset and frame used so I want to be sure all the parts are there before getting the race pressed.

What am I doing wrong here?

EDIT: OK, just noticed the FSA crown race is warped, so nuts to that. The bearing contact angle on the Cane Creek looks to be 36 degrees, same as what is stamped on the FSA bearings.

Anyway I added the dust seal back on and it is not wobbling vertically after tightening everything down, but its ID is larger than the steer tube, so it wobbles radially like a hoola hoop, with about 1mm play.

Here's what the FSA crown race looks like. The Cane Creek one has the same dimensions but does not have the lip shown in red.
    Name:  race.JPG
Views: 844
Size:  4.5 KB

EDIT2: OK, I took a ride and it seems like it's working OK. Aside from being a little wobbly, I think the seal is doing its job so I'll keep it as is.
    Last edited by derailin_palin; 06-20-2010 at 09:20 PM.

mtbr member
    you're your very own mechanic