mtbr member
    Mar 2007

FS XC into an All Mtn

I've got a '06 Giant Trance 2 which has been an excellent all-around XC bike. But I'm finding the way I'm riding it is much more all-mountain in style with small drops, gnarly fast downhill lines, etc. The bike takes it all really well but I'm thinking about putting a bigger fork on it to make it more of an all-mtn bike. I'm between the Fox Talus 32 RLC (140 mm) and the Rock Shox Revolution (130 mm). Both will be a nice step up from my 100 mm Reba, which I might put aside to build up a light XC hartail for a frame I've already go.

So my first question is: Do you think the frame can handle it? In other words, is this a good idea in the first place?

If "yes and yes" to the last questions, what says ya'll about the two fork choices?

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 0gravity
    I've got a '06 Giant Trance 2 which has been an excellent all-around XC bike. But I'm finding the way I'm riding it is much more all-mountain in style with small drops, gnarly fast downhill lines, etc. The bike takes it all really well but I'm thinking about putting a bigger fork on it to make it more of an all-mtn bike. I'm between the Fox Talus 32 RLC (140 mm) and the Rock Shox Revolution (130 mm). Both will be a nice step up from my 100 mm Reba, which I might put aside to build up a light XC hartail for a frame I've already go.

So my first question is: Do you think the frame can handle it? In other words, is this a good idea in the first place?

If "yes and yes" to the last questions, what says ya'll about the two fork choices?

Thanks!
    Check the Giant forum, there are lots of Trance threads.

Motion activated
    Some people put longer forks on their Trance and are happy with the results. Personally I ended up disliking my Turner Burner with a 120mm fork (100mm rear).

If you go with a longer fork, I'd look at something with a 20mm TA.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc
    Check the Giant forum, there are lots of Trance threads.
    Yes, good idea. But I was surprised, there wasn't much about fork upgrades there. I posted a new one there too. I'm sure I'll get some feedback soon enough.

fan of maple syrup
    I've got a Revelation Dual Air U-turn 100 - 130mm on my Scott Genius. Only had it for 4 weeks, but so far I'm loving it. I basically dial the front travel to what the ride will need, and go for it. Occaisionally I dial it while I ride, which is do-able, but not as quick as say, the RockShox 2-step on the Lyrik, or the Fox Talas 90deg click. However, the Lyrik was too big for my needs (36mm stanchions and has a 20mm Maxle) and Fox Forks are quite a lot more in price and servicing costs. So the Revelation was the go.

It's a sweet, sweet fork - eats up bumps really easily. I regularly take it down black diamond downhill runs leaving it dialled out to 130mm. The Dual Air system (positive & negative air) is great and means you can really fine tune the shock to your riding style and weight. So far it's held it's pressure pretty well - maybe 2 or 3 psi lost every 5 rides.

Given the Trance has 105mm travel in the arse, I think an adjustable 100-130 up front would be OK. Obviously it will slacken your head angle a little when you wind it out - but that's what you want for flying down hills anyway.

So - definately 2 big thumbs up for the Revelation.

General Rabble-Rouser
    we pushed my GF's Norco XC Torch about far into the AM category as we can. up from a 105mm fork up to a 120mm travel adjust, meaty DH rubber, new Juicy 7's and a 31.8mm riser bar up from a flat-bar

She loves her new set-up & the bike is holding up well enough, but by riding it so far out of it's original purpose, it is starting to eat through it's bearings as she pushes it harder and harder

mtbr member
    there are tons of talk of using longer travel forks on the trance. out of the two, i like the talas better since you can adjust the travel. if the rev. has u turn though, i would go with that since you are not stuck with 3 preset travel positions.

ay Diablo!
    Quote Originally Posted by 0gravity
    Yes, good idea. But I was surprised, there wasn't much about fork upgrades there. I posted a new one there too. I'm sure I'll get some feedback soon enough.
    If you go to the trance thread in the giant forum, quite a few posts regarding longer travel forks!

Link
    TRANCE - The Official thread, pics and info inside.
    Lynx, has done a great job composeing all the trance treads into a list.

Specific links for your question:
    125mm fork on a trance

140-mm fork on Trance
    "You know me, I'm too lazy to carry a grudge". Sid the Sloth

Carnaval Dominicano
    http://carnaval.com.do/

mtbr member
    You may want to consider a fork with adjustable travel. Adding 30-40mm on the front end will slacken your steering angle quite a bit and really change the way the bike feels. You may be fine with that on long rides with lots of downhill, but the bike may seem sluggish in XC use.
    "Early bird gets the worm", but the second mouse gets the cheese...