mtbr member
    Jan 2013

FS frame suggestion. Swap with HT parts

FS frame suggestion.  Swap with HT parts-2013-04-16-16.24.09.jpg

So this is my HT and I like it tremendously. Here's specs

Frame: OnOne 456 Evo Medium
    Fork: RS Pike
    Wheelset/hubs: Stans flow w/ Hope pro 2 evo's
    Tires: 2.5 Maxxis Highroller front, 2.35 Maxxis Highroller rear.
    Grips: Esi Chunky
    Brakes: Avid BB7
    Handlebars: Raceface atlas 685mm
    Pedals: VP Vice
    Crank/cog: 32t Race face evolve and 20t cog
    Stem: Chromag hifi
    Saddle: Charge Spoon
    Headset: FSA Pig
    Seatpost/clamp: No name setapost and salsa 30mm QR clamp
    Tensioner: Blackspire

I've been doing the local trails for a few months, I just moved here, and I think I have the wrong bike for the terrain. The trails are super rocky, and bumpy I find my rear end bouncing around everywhere and I've gotten super squirrly at high speeds cause my legs can't absorb it all. In keeping with the same style of bike, aggressive and slack, any FS frames that I can completely swap everything over onto that ya'll suggest? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'm gonna say Santa Cruz heckler. Reason 1 I have one and love it but I'm still new to all this. 2 given you are swapping most parts, all the new or more aggressive bikes use diff standards. Steertube. BB and rear axle. I'm sure any 08 ish trail bike will work. Hopefully a knowledgable mtbr will chime in.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks for the suggestion on the heckler. I had a feeling that any new frame would be hard to swap everything over to. Ill take a look at the heckler. Im open to other suggestions as well.

mtbr member
    No no, you really shouldn't have many compatibility issues.

The big challenge will be finding a frame you really like suited for rough riding that is designed for the amount of fork travel the pike has. Most aggressive FS bikes are made for 160mm forks

You should probably decide how married to that fork you are and if you're OK with getting a new fork

I have a steel HT with a pike too. I think it would probably hold a pretty nice resale value. Yours looks pretty nice you could consider selling and buying a complete new or used bike

I think most of your other components will swap fine but it may be worth it to just leave the headset in and sell with frame

mtbr member
    Another reason complete bike makes more sense for you is that if you want a drivetrain it is so much more cost effective on a complete than buying aftermarket

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    It may be obvious, just make sure the steerer length on the pike will be long enough for the new frame,
    You may need a longer hose on the rear brake ( depends on routing )

Frame swap
    That is one nice bike
    I would try and keep it if possible
    I'm biased so specialized enduro sl would be my choice

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Most new frames that are aggressive have a taper head tube. I'm sure you can get cups to make it fit tho. Send me a message about that frame when you decide what your doing. I've been wanting to build a hard tail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks everyone. I took all the frames into consideration when I was looking for a frame. I had to go used because of budget reasons and I was able to snag a good condition 08 Horst link Turner 5 spot on the cheap. I'll post back here with pics of it when it arrives and gets built up.

Everything I read and watched about the 5 spot indicates it's a good frame. I'm sure it'll do fine with the rock gardens and beat up trail conditions in my area. I figured if I was able to get down on a HT with some speed with few problems, a bit jarring actually, then the 5inch rear travel will feel like luxurious.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    awesome choice. perfect for the pike at 140.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    heres a 3 year old post but if this guys still around and has the dimension saved for his caad program and will to cough up some time youd be super stoked http://forums.mtbr.com/turner/5-spot...ss-672117.html

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    That's really interesting thank you for the link.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    another vote for the 2013 heckler (has tapered HT/slack geo)

use the pike then upgrade to a 150 when u can.

Miss my old heckler, light nimble and fast

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffijers View Post
    another vote for the 2013 heckler (has tapered HT/slack geo)

use the pike then upgrade to a 150 when u can.

Miss my old heckler, light nimble and fast
    I love hearing this. Cause I love my heckler. But after riding a Bronson c, I have to say I want a more up to date frame. But I'm gonna stick it out for another season

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I ended up getting an 08 Turner 5 spot that i mentioned already about 5 posts up.

mtbr member
    Vertkurt the Horst link spot sounds like the best possible matchup. Horst style is great for techy trails. Post up when you build it. Now if you keep running it SS and can manage that would be impressive

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    .....And queue crappy cell pic. I know no grips are on it and saddle angle needs adjusting, but I wanted to get a pic in before sun down. Also the stem matches my roomies blue cruiser in the background, sadly not my skateboard though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FS frame suggestion.  Swap with HT parts-2013-06-15-20.22.48.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    sweet. let us know what you think compared to your hardtail. my guess is youll have to get acclimated to slowing down and smoothing out your cadence to climb, but you love how it handles rock strewn and rutted sections of your trails going up and down. full squishys actual climbs threw rocks better.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I may need some sort of bash guard/chain stay thing. I'm riding it tomorrow morning and if my chain falls off I'll think of something, maybe a bbg bashwich if it'll fit on the turner.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    the cool thing about pauls is you don't have to switch to a e type bb when adding a tensioner or guide. e type guides push your bb and drive line out a few mm. is your chainline pretty center in your cassette now?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Yeah chainline looks good from what I can tell. I went out for that ride and the shifting was a little clunky, so it needs a little bit of adjusting. Also, the chain never did fall off. Wonder if it's due to the short cage rd?

Bike handled amazingly though. I was able to just lean back and let the bike do its thing over all that volcanic rock junk that litters our trails here. Night and day difference between the turner and the Hardtail.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I suggest getting the works component angleset to slacken the headtube by a degree. I still have my 07 spot and I take it whenever I go to Washington/Oregon area. Turner bikes are nice, they just won't die.

undercover brother
    I just made the switch from my transAM to a yeti SB66. Best decision I've ever made. I love the transAM, and I fought the "hardtail is all you need" battle for a while. But man, some squish in back allows for faster and harder descents. Good luck on your search!

mtbr member
    I think the Norco sight (26") w/ reverb for $1600 is a good deal. I bet if you call around you can get it for a lot cheaper considering most people bought the 650b version.

142 x 12 rear and tapered headtube however...