Thread: FS Frame Recs

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

FS Frame Recs

Hi everybody! I'm looking for a FS frame, there's a few characteristics I'm after, so if anybody knows something that would fit the bill, let me know;
    -140mm travel or real close to it. Could probably do 150, if known to be a good climber.
    -non-boost
    -aluminum
    -150 to 160 fork compat
    -HA around 66
    -internal dropper. other internal cables a bonus, but not required
    -actually fit 2.6 tires, despite manf. spec
    -threaded BB would be good, press fit would work...

And that's pretty much it. A few that I know of, but can't find available are a 2017 Banshee spitfire, and a 2016 Commencal Meta Am V4. I'm a medium in most frames. What else is out there?

Nor­wegr
    Canfield Riot (Toir) fits most of the bill, but it's a 29er.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slipperyb View Post
    Hi everybody! I'm looking for a FS frame, there's a few characteristics I'm after, so if anybody knows something that would fit the bill, let me know;
    -140mm travel or real close to it. Could probably do 150, if known to be a good climber.
    -non-boost
    -aluminum
    -150 to 160 fork compat
    -HA around 66
    -internal dropper. other internal cables a bonus, but not required
    -actually fit 2.6 tires, despite manf. spec
    -threaded BB would be good, press fit would work...

And that's pretty much it. A few that I know of, but can't find available are a 2017 Banshee spitfire, and a 2016 Commencal Meta Am V4. I'm a medium in most frames. What else is out there?
    Giant Trance or Reign also would fit that bill. Although not the current year models. But a couple year old frames can be had used for decent prices.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Don't kick yourself in the junk buying a non boost frame. If you want to reuse an existing wheel, you can use spacers.

Spitfire should convert to whatever dropout you want, I think.

mtbr member
    Second time in the last 5 minutes I agree with one pivot...

Anyway, he's right. Don't buy a non boost frame in 2018. If you have a fork and wheelset already just get the spacer and bolt kit from eBay.

10mm of rear travel will not matter much for climbing compared to the linkage design of the particular frame and the shock used.
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Don't kick yourself in the junk buying a non boost frame. If you want to reuse an existing wheel, you can use spacers.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks for the thoughts all.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    Canfield Riot (Toir) fits most of the bill, but it's a 29er.
    It's a nice frame, but I do need a 27.5, should have said that to begin with

Quote Originally Posted by R_Pierce View Post
    Giant Trance or Reign also would fit that bill. Although not the current year models. But a couple year old frames can be had used for decent prices.
    I have looked at the giants, but for me at least, it's hard to get past the fugliness of some of those frames.

Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post

Yeah, the spitfire seems to have various dropouts to run whatever you want. That said, I got news wheels somewhat recently, that I are burley and I plan to run them for as long as I can, and they are non-boost, so I am not so hung up on a boost frame.

Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    10mm of rear travel will not matter much for climbing compared to the linkage design of the particular frame and the shock used.
    Very true about linkage type, but 150 would def be the max rear I would consider.

I came across the Felt Decree frame, and last years model seems to fit the bill, yet is carbon, but still reasonably priced for being so. I don't know very much about it, but the characteristics described in some reviews would be spot on for what I'm after.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slipperyb View Post
    It's a nice frame, but I do need a 27.5, should have said that to begin with
    The Riot is a Swiss Army knife of a frame. Lots of people run it with 27.5 x 2.5-2.8 tires. The bottom bracket height along with some 170mm or shorter cranks shoud make it work. You can get a shock with a shorter stroke if you want a an aggressive short travel bike. Also, the frame is designed around a standard 142 hub but if you get an aftermarket axle you can run boost wheels if you get any in the future.

There are some questions about the company's long term outlooks, but if they have your size medium in stock it's a great value at $1k for the frame.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk