Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thats not a picture of me

Freeride/xc frame

ok im probably going to need a new frame soon enough so i was wondering what is a good dual suspsension bike that will handle xc racing, but will also take drops of 2-5 feet
    a bike that can take the tough stuff but is dual suspension

i was thinking the norco six three but #1 doubt i could get the frame alone and #2 its a little pricey

i know this question has probably been asked alot but im lazy to look

i dont want a dh bike because i use my mountainbike as a road bike aswell so something with more a xc profile/geometry if it exists my current frame is a gry fisher joshua so something similar in shape to that maybe,

a tight kick sound
    I really liked the cove hustler!
    CAn build it pretty heaby (~34 lbs) and jump/4x and beat the pissout of it

or build it to 27 lbs XC racer if you want!

Dirt Displacer
    I'd suggest that a Transition Preston.... would serve your needs well.... and be kind on your wallet....
    Bombardier :::: MCM #249

[SIZE="5"]Trails Listings, GPS Tracks, & Forums[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="5"]Singletracks.com[/SIZE]

ye i like the preston but i thought it was purely freeride

a tight kick sound
    It is not purely freeride but the frame is pretty beefy an I think weighs almost 9 lbs!
    That is quite a bit for racing XC on?!?!
    MAybe not even the weight so much as the geo...it is pretty slack.
    However, you could put a pike or something on it and bring it down a good bit. Just watch the pedals

BTW, I think the preston is an awesome bike...maybe just a little overkill for what you want!

Just my .02

lolz weight is of NO issue to me infact for me it seems the heavier the faster im scary fast and have fast cadence which is weird because i can maintain top speed for 2-3 miles with no slowdown yet i cant jog a mile...but thats of topic suffice to say i dont care how much it weighs aslong as it isnt a pure dh/dirtjumping rig or a pure xc racing rig and has dual suspension know what i mean? kinda like the transition preston

can i use a yakuza for xc?

I CAN ALWAYS GO BIGGER
    Secialized SJ for 2-3 foot drops,Enduro for any thing more

trail fairy
    Turner 5 Spot
    I All Mountain mine, Endurance race 12hr, Jump 6ft to transition no probs takes what my buddies Enduro handles no worries.

Its the perfert one bike IMO course I'm biased
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Ventana X5
    Turner RFX
    Specialized Enduro
    Giant Reign

Take your pic from the above. Not sure about the XC "racing" part though!
    It's asking a bit much to cover road riding right through to Freeride on a single bike. I'd put together a cheap road bike for the tarmac. It will be miles faster than anything built for serious off-road.
    [SIZE="2"]Remember, there is no black magic or witchcraft, it's only a machine[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by potvinwannab
    ok im probably going to need a new frame soon enough so i was wondering what is a good dual suspsension bike that will handle xc racing, but will also take drops of 2-5 feet
    a bike that can take the tough stuff but is dual suspension

i was thinking the norco six three but #1 doubt i could get the frame alone and #2 its a little pricey

i dont want a dh bike because i use my mountainbike as a road bike aswell so something with more a xc profile/geometry if it exists my current frame is a gry fisher joshua so something similar in shape to that maybe,

If you want a cheap and capable frame, look into the Kona Dawg, Giant Reign, and Azonic Saber at Wheel World.com. All three can take abuse and are very cheap right now. The Santa Cruz Heckler is another good frame at a decent price point.

mtbr member
    I use my Enduro Elite, just run it with Nevegal 2.1's to lower the rolling resistance when riding XC.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

Ventana X5
    Turner RFX
    Specialized Enduro
    Giant Reign

Take your pic from the above. Not sure about the XC "racing" part though!
    It's asking a bit much to cover road riding right through to Freeride on a single bike. I'd put together a cheap road bike for the tarmac. It will be miles faster than anything built for serious off-road
    then you obviously dont know me i guess im faster then i thought, because i always used my other bike for road biking aswell as trails and the skate park sometimes all in the same day! it was a department store bike so i dont know if it means anything, it even had 1.95 upfront and 2.125 in the back and could reach maybe 35-40 k on the road if it was slightly sloped meaybe 30 on flats and 60+ downhill, but it climbed like sh!t, literally dragged me down from the top, but hey it weighed 60 pounds

ok those all sound like my kind of frame except the turner i dont like 4 bar suspension, maybe more of those bikes do but im too lazy to look but eh the preston looks like its for me, but i like the enduro

what do you think of a yakuza if i ran 2.1 inches in the front and back for xc/road?

how long is that sale at wheelworld goin on those are CRAZY good prices...better than ebay

giant vt3 looks nice?
    Last edited by potvinwannab; 07-14-2006 at 06:47 AM.

Cheesiest
    I would say Heckler

mtbr member
    Another one for the Heckler here.

i wanted a yakuza but im guessing its not good for xc, the heckler is kind of wimpy looking, the preston is really nice and price is right, but the giants prices are even more right

TNC
    noMAD man

Heckler...wimpy looking?

i wanted a yakuza but im guessing its not good for xc, the heckler is kind of wimpy looking, the preston is really nice and price is right, but the giants prices are even more right
    Bwaaaaaah! If you think a Heckler looks wimpy, you may be missing what makes a bike strong...or your eyeglass prescription ran out. Hey...I'm just jacking with ya, but I think you might be confusing some elements of frame design as they apply to frame strength. The Preston that has been mentioned is very stout, but it does lean heavily toward the FR spectrum, and its weight shows it. You may be very tough...as you have mentioned quite clearly a couple of times ...but an extremely heavy bike is kryptonite to Superman when you try to use it for everything. Get or build yourself a 30-33 pound 5" bike, and you'll be much happier if you're really going to try to "do it all" on one bike.

Oh, So Interesting!

Uhh, yeah..

Also too lazy to type, too lazy to think, I guess the world needs its McDonald's Employees.

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

What are you looking at?
    Get a Heckler!
    Orange Heckler

Blue Pinscher

mtbr member
    I don't know about the Heckler being wimpy looking...
    (With apologies to steelduck & sov for using their pics)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Anshwa; 07-14-2006 at 10:36 AM.

mtbr member

Titus Moto Lite

Some requirements were:
    - ... will handle xc racing
    - ... will also take drops of 2-5 feet
    - ... i dont want a dh bike because i use my mountainbike as a road bike as well
    - ... something with more a xc profile/geometry

I'm very surprised no one named the Moto Lite immediately. Its easy to build a sub-30 lbs ride, it has xc geometry, it can handle up to a 145 mm fork, has adjustable 4" or 5" rear suspension and is competitively priced.

The requirements seem like they could have come right out of a Titus catalog.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    Bwaaaaaah! If you think a Heckler looks wimpy, you may be missing what makes a bike strong...or your eyeglass prescription ran out. .
    This is the same kid that was arguing about putting a big hit shock on a joshua frame.

Pot - Including the frames already mentioned, you could consider a Preston Dirtbag or a Stinky for better freeride characteristics. But really, any of the frames already mentioned will work fine for you.

How much do you weigh?

Made in China
    Jan 2006
    chumba xcl!
    "Didn't your doctor tell you to stop smoking and drinking?" George Burns "Yes but they all died"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast