mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Frame Recomendations

Hope someone can help find my dream trail bike frame - I know what I want in a frame but am having zero luck finding it.

Build will be:
    36RC2
    Thomson stem/dropper
    XX1 or XT 1x10 (XX1 will need a ride before I plop down that much)
    Brakes --- RO or maybe MT6, or maybe XTR Trail
    Flow on DT or Kings (unless some big commissions show - ENVE AM's,)

I really want something more akin to BMX bike in handling, 5-6" travel, definitely 26" wheels, short backend, steep seat tube, long top tube, low stand over, Will accept a CC DBair, and is no more than 7.5 pounds for frame.

Originally I was thinking a bottlerocket - add dropper and DBA - it's heavier than I'd like but otherwise good. Looks like it got dropped from. Transitions lineup (not on site).

Any suggestions???
    ORP

Let the good times roll.
    Stumpjumper Evo

mtbr member
    Being an Intense honk I would say a Tracer 2 (awesome fun do it all bike) but I did see a killer sale going on Santa Cruz frames and I'm sure you could find something in that lineup to fit the bill.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by miniwisejosh View Post
    Stumpjumper Evo
    Yes low standover, amazing in the air, fast on the downs, and lite. All the celebrities got one.... or the 2013 enduro with the Double B.

These Are The Days - Dylan Dunkerton on Vimeo

If you don't like the BIG S I go Santa cruz nomad or Mojo HD.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    what about a knolly endorphin/chilcotin, specialized carbon enduro (would require getting the dbair from specialized unsless you dropped the dough on the sworks right out of the gate.) Rocky mountain slayer.
    as for wheels why not use the WTB i23 hoops? they actually have a ust bead socket.
    if you do decide to go with XX1 you will have to use a dt or sram hub until options expand.
    Juice

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Juice - I can't get over the knolly looks - maybe I'm a bit superficial. Wheel wise I have some kings, but no XX1... I'm on the fence. I make it up everything on my blurXCc 1x9 36x11-34 so it's likely I'll be on a 1x10 38x 11-36.

The thought of ripping off a $300 derailleur blows. Think about the buyers remorse...

Looked at the Enduro & stumpy FSR frames. Surprised how good the geo is. Those are on the short list now.

The Santa Cruz bikes are slack in the seat tube... I have one and its not too bad - truth be told its the RP23 that's not cutting it.

The Tracer 2 is pretty interesting... Really pricey for an AL frame - but it goes to American labor. Tracer 2 is on the list.
    ORP

mtbr member
    I will second the Mojo HD. The Knolly Chili is a nice bike and has almost identical geometry to the HD. Only difference is the Chili runs 16.9 chainstays and the HD has 17.1. Personally I just can't give my money to the big S, but that is just me. If you can afford to go carbon you will not regret it. Also, what about the Intense Carbine?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Liteville 301 ticks all your boxes, otherwise Knolly Endorphin (seat tube angle slightly slacker) or Nicolai Ion 16 (if you are prepared to wait).

mtbr member
    I have almost that exact part spec on my Knolly Chilcotin and I will admit I am a slight bit sad that winter is coming and its gonna take my time away from that bike (I am an avid skier).

Take a real serious look at a Chilcotin if you get a chance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Transition Covert. The new carbon frame is pretty sweet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Covert - I'm leaning more that way... Also maybe the bandit. 130mm of travel is plenty for me.

Covert carbon is about a thousand bucks to save less than a pound. I could do a Covert, and by a DB coil and swap shocks based on feeling and still have ~500 to spend on who knows what (EPO?)...
    ORP

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Santa Cruz Blur LT, $900 with the new Fox CTD rear shock.

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Santa Cruz Blur LT, $900 with the new Fox CTD rear shock.
    Where are you finding that deal?