mtbr member
    Dec 2004

which frame nomad vs turner rfx

Guys seem to love their turners and keep them. I am wondering if I should go for the used turner rfx or a newer nomad? The nomad is way more coin but newer isnt always better in my mind. Parking lot rides For technical agressive trial riding with the occasional dh trip which would you guys do nomad or turner rfx?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kotajack View Post
    Guys seem to love their turners and keep them. I am wondering if I should go for the used turner rfx or a newer nomad? The nomad is way more coin but newer isnt always better in my mind. Parking lot rides For technical agressive trial riding with the occasional dh trip which would you guys do nomad or turner rfx?
    I ride a nomad, but I would think hard on selling it if Turner ever puts out the DW rfx that's been a prototype for a year now it seems. As far as new nomad vs old rfx, I would go nomad. Most used rfx's on the market now are faux bar.

usually cranky
    nothing wrong with faux bar...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    nothing wrong with faux bar...
    true, but why buy a faux bar rfx when you could have a four bar six pack? Most turner fans agree that when they gave up on the fsr patent, the rfx, just didn't ride as well. Also, why pay a boutique price when you could have the same design in a kona, transition, and many other less expensive frames? I know we are talking used here, but you'll still pay more for a used faux bar rfx compared to other faux bar frames out there. You can buy a brand new kona coiler frame for 500 bucks right now! Frame weight is probably very similar, design is the same, capabilities are the same.

If you want to stick with a boutique, how about an older ellsworth moment? Should ride a lot like a 4bar rfx. Titus Elguapo is another 4bar frame going for stupid cheap right now. Funny that both turner and titus gave up 4bar for DW. I still think 4bar rides awesome. Personally I think it's splitting hairs when it comes to who's design is the best, I just wouldn't pay a boutique price for a generic design like faux bar.

Ride and Smile
    Ridden both and would not ride the Nomad. Love the RFX, but agree that the El Guapo is as much fun. Disagree with slim that most turner owners thought the pivot move was bad.

usually cranky
    very true, it just came off like you were saying faux bar was a bad thing. btw titus is going to be using dw link?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    very true, it just came off like you were saying faux bar was a bad thing. btw titus is going to be using dw link?
    No, but the old owner of titus owns pivot now, that's what I meant to say. I used to work at a shop that sold pivot's. I attended a clinic held by the owner so I heard more than I cared to hear about 4bar and dw.

usually cranky
    oh hahaha. with the horst pattern expiring in 2012 do you think any companies will change their line up?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    oh hahaha. with the horst pattern expiring in 2012 do you think any companies will change their line up?
    I didn't know that. it will be interesting to see what happens? Two link designs are trendy now, maybe spec will come up with some new two link variation and 4bar will be free?

mtbr member
    If this is true my prediction is those bike companies using single pivots and "faux bar" designs will jump all over this. I would even go as far as to say those using a split pivot will eventually jump on board because they already seem to be trying to mimic the horst link. Just my .02 ....

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    nomad itīs good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99 View Post
    why pay a boutique price when you could have the same design in a kona, transition, and many other less expensive frames? I know we are talking used here, but you'll still pay more for a used faux bar rfx compared to other faux bar frames out there. You can buy a brand new kona coiler frame for 500 bucks right now! Frame weight is probably very similar, design is the same, capabilities are the same.
    Just because two bikes use faux bar it does not mean that they ride the same. There are good and bad faux bar executions (there is an enormous design space inside the faux bar domain), and there are many other parameters that matter than just the suspension design.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Personally, I think you should go for an RFX.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by arne_and View Post
    Just because two bikes use faux bar it does not mean that they ride the same. There are good and bad faux bar executions (there is an enormous design space inside the faux bar domain), and there are many other parameters that matter than just the suspension design.
    True, the same can be said about non linkage actuated single pivs too.There's only so much you can do with rocker leverage, pivot placement and shock tuning though.There's always going to be some traits you can't get around like stiffening under braking. All things equal, I would always go 4bar over faux. I would simply buy an old 6pack if I wanted an rfx. Or was there a 4bar rfx? All I know is I've owned 4 and faux and notice the benefits of the horst link. Please don't get me wrong, faux makes for a fine ride, and you are right, all faux's aren't the same, but they will all have some negative traits 4bar frames won't.

mtbr member
    Then it seems we are in agreement.

The RFX did come with HL as well, just the newer ones were faux bar.