mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Which Frame could I use?

Hi all
    Hopefully Iím in the right place to ask this question?
    A while ago I got it into my head to build a Shockwave 9.5 DH Bike which looked so good but hated riding it, like I was told on here as I donít do DH. I sold the frame but kept all the parts, wheels, brakes and other bits.

I now want to use these parts to build another bike better suited to my needs, i.e. park, small hills and the road. What frame can I used that these parts will fit? I do not want to spend lots of money this time as I've lost too much already. My rear wheel has a 135mm x 12mm hope hub and the front is 20mm bolt thro. My front and rear Brakes are Hope Disc, right now not sure which ones but fitted the 9.5 OK
    Many thanks for any guidance given
    Be Lucky

mtbr member
    First of all, Hope hubs can be converted to fit any axle standard out there, so no worries about finding a frame that fits perfect.

Secondly, did you have a double crown fork on the Shockwave? What kind of steering tube (1.5in, 1 1/8in or tapered)? What other components? The ones you listed, wheels and brakes will most certainly fit any bike, the rest would be more helpful.

And thirdly, when you say park, what do you mean? Bike park and XC trails at the local state park are very different.
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hi Kubikeman

Thanks for the reply. The Shockwave was 1 1/8. I kept the forks but I would like to possibly get a frame that comes with forks as mine were kind of old and not really good plus they are Triple Crown and think I might be better off with double crown now, just need to check my front wheel will fit the new forks.

I packed all my parts away but think I have the following: Hope M4 brake set, SRAM X9 rear derailleur (9 speed, long cage I think) with a SRAM PG-970 Cassette, no front derailleur, Shimano SLX M665 double chainset 175mm.
    I feel my biggest worry is knowing how to check if my wheels will fit whatever frame I end up buying, mainly the rear wheel. I will use bike mostly on the road and on occasions in the woods with my kids, nothing extreme. So Iím just hoping for a simple frame where my parts fit as I donít want to spend any more money, I wasted too much already buying the Shockwave 9.5 frame only to end up selling it at a big loss. I have an uncanny knack of buying stuff and selling it for a lost so donít really want to sell the parts I already have if I can help it. Any chance you can suggest some frames I could look at on eBay just to get me going?
    Thanks again
    Be Lucky

mtbr member
    On-One 456 Evo 2 frame $289

On-One 456 Evo2 Frame

For a fork, try and find a used Rockshox Sektor. You may get lucky and find one with a 20mm thru axle. This frame will take a fork with anything from 120mm to 150mm of travel.

If you have Hope hubs like you mentioned in your first post, you can convert them to any axle standard. In the case of the EVO 2, you'd to convert it to 135x9 (standard quick release).

The only other things you'll have to look for are seatpost diameter and front derailleur diameter to see if they'll fit. Also figure in new cables and housing since it's a totally different layout.

This is by no means you're only option, but it's relatively cheap, available and lot's of people like the On-One 456.
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kubikeman View Post
    On-One 456 Evo 2 frame $289

On-One 456 Evo2 Frame

For a fork, try and find a used Rockshox Sektor. You may get lucky and find one with a 20mm thru axle. This frame will take a fork with anything from 120mm to 150mm of travel.

If you have Hope hubs like you mentioned in your first post, you can convert them to any axle standard. In the case of the EVO 2, you'd to convert it to 135x9 (standard quick release).

The only other things you'll have to look for are seatpost diameter and front derailleur diameter to see if they'll fit. Also figure in new cables and housing since it's a totally different layout.

This is by no means you're only option, but it's relatively cheap, available and lot's of people like the On-One 456.
    +1 for the On-One 456 Evo 2 frame. I think you will love it. It should fit perfectly!