mtbr member

New question here. Fox Vanilla R (2009) vs Fox Talas RLC (2006) vs Fox Float RL (2011)

Hi guys,

I'm looking to upgrading my forks and was wondering which of these three would be best suitable for an AM frame, which I use mostly for AM and light FR:

Fox Vanilla R (2009)
    Fox Talas RLC (2006)
    Fox Float RL (2011)

The frame is actually a Begamont Evolve 5.7. Just getting it new, by guarantee from Bergamont because the old frame cracked...

I weight about 75kg and am 6" tall.

I was thinking the Talas might do best due to its great adjustability, which I would probably use when climbing hills. Although, the Vanilla is cheaper and 140mm is a little more than 130 (on the talas) and should be more durable due to coil springs... however, I am not an expert unfortunately.

Therefore, I ask your advice on which would be best in terms of usage, adjustability, durability, servicing (I'm guessing they're all expensive due to them being Fox unfortunately ). I would also like to ask, if there would be any other great alternatives (I used to have a Marzocchi AMII, and it was absolutely amazing, unfortunately I had to sell it and I can't find any other ones).

Thanks for the feedback in advance.

Cheers!

Dropshot Champ!
    an 06 talas is probably the worst option. Out of all those, the 2011 float is probably your best bet.

There are tons of great alternatives to those options. I'm a bit of a rockshox revelation fan, but your options are vast.

GAME ON!
    the van is pretty good in its simplicity but the 2011 would be at least equal. van feels great.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Go with the Float, you won't regret it..

Proudly: A Mexican Rider
    Get the float 2011!!

It is the newest and itīs a good fork.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    If you are climbing steep stuff. No question the talas is so worth it. I just switched to one on my am rig and I can drop it down and climb things I never could without it. As far as overall performance any of these shocks are great and will perform exactly how you set them up.

Quote Originally Posted by paparube View Post
    If you are climbing steep stuff. No question the talas is so worth it. I just switched to one on my am rig and I can drop it down and climb things I never could without it. As far as overall performance any of these shocks are great and will perform exactly how you set them up.
    Thatīs true.

However, Iīve heard that talas has more stiction than float due to the extra seals it needs for the travel change.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Josue View Post
    Thatīs true.

However, Iīve heard that talas has more stiction than float due to the extra seals it needs for the travel change.
    That may be true on paper but on the trail i have only felt like the shock was active and doing exactly what it was supposed to. I notice no difference at all.

Quote Originally Posted by paparube View Post
    That may be true on paper but on the trail i have only felt like the shock was active and doing exactly what it was supposed to. I notice no difference at all.
    Thatīs true. I guess it also depends on rider weight. I weight about 109 pounds haha.