mtbr member
    May 2006

Fox Transfer Dropper 3rd Party Remote Options

Does anyone know if 3rd party remotes (can be made to) work with the Transfer dropper?

The issue is that while most levers use the "bulb" end of the cable, the Transfer post requires that bulb at the post (internal routed model), and it appears that the Fox levers have the set screw that grabs and holds the cable.

I was aware that the post did not come with the lever, but figured I was fine with my Specialized lever which I like.

My jaded thinking is that its a clever (and customer unfriendly) way for Fox to ensure people pony up the extra dough for their lever

mtbr member
    It can be done using what is called a 'cable stop'. If you search on Amazon, you'll see some. A customer at my LBS went this route and it was a PITA to get it to work, so they warned me when I bought my Transfer. I went with the Fox remote.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

mtbr member
    May 2012
    A lot of the remotes on the thread that the-one1 post above will work. I use the wolftooth brand. there is also the 9point8 digit remote that look similar to the wolftooth.
    '17 Giant Anthem Adv
    '17 SC Bronson CC
    '17 Ibis Mojo 3
    '15 Giant Anthem 1_SOLD
    '12 Trek Remedy 9_SOLD

mtbr member
    I'm using this one https://www.canecreek.com/store/seat...essories/dropt
    it's very adjustable and more robust than the Fox Remote.

Nothing seems to kill me
    I run the RaceFace on a 9point8 and a Lev. Not sure of the Transfer but I really like the RF.
    Hello, my name is human and I came down from the stars.

Your bike sucks
    If it makes any difference, the Fox lever has a great feel. I just rode my Fox Lever Factory Transfer bike and forgot how nice it felt compared to my KS "cablestop rigged Lever" w/ Fox Performance Transfer rig. I actually think I'm going to buy one for that bike now. Might consider a wolftooth or equiv tho to try something else but I think that Fox lever is a safe bet esp. if you get a discount.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    The wolftooth remote is hands down the best out there. You can order it to attach directly to your brakes as well for a clean look.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    If you over tighten the hex screw on the Fox remote the rotating joint will break. It's too weak at that connection that's why I went with the wolftooth remote.
    '17 Giant Anthem Adv
    '17 SC Bronson CC
    '17 Ibis Mojo 3
    '15 Giant Anthem 1_SOLD
    '12 Trek Remedy 9_SOLD

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I use a Raceface remote with a cable stop at the lever end.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    Yeah, I've been subscribed to that thread. But I dont think all the various cable remotes will work due to the issues I mentioned in the OP.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    It can be done using what is called a 'cable stop'. If you search on Amazon, you'll see some. A customer at my LBS went this route and it was a PITA to get it to work, so they warned me when I bought my Transfer. I went with the Fox remote.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
    Hmmm, I did a quick Amazon check and I dont see anything universal that looks like it would work. But possibly sounds like a pain I would want to avoid anyway?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by b-roken View Post
    I'm using this one https://www.canecreek.com/store/seat...essories/dropt
    it's very adjustable and more robust than the Fox Remote.
    I remember seeing that CC had made a dropper remote. Looking at the specifics I see that they do list it compatible with the Transfer, but also with all the other posts as well. Does it accommodate both ends of a cable, and that's how its able to work with most all the posts? The pics of it don't show enough detail for me to be able to tell myself.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for the replies all.

I have liked the look of the Wolftooth for a while, when considering it for my Lev Integra. If I'm going to have to buy something anyway it seems like getting the best option the first time around is the smart way to do it, but getting the post installed on my new build is the last thing I need to do and I'm at the impatient point and one of my LBS's probably has the Fox lever in stock (waiting for confirmation on that as theyre not open yet).

mtbr member
    Wolftooth. I've replaced most of my Fox and Thomson dropper levers with it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikericci View Post
    The wolftooth remote is hands down the best out there. You can order it to attach directly to your brakes as well for a clean look.
    this! seems to be the most prized remote this days...

Your bike sucks
    So this was a quick impulse purchase motivator. I just ordered the WolfTooth light action. OP - Backcountry.com 15% off total purchase, Free 2 day shipping and Active Junky for extra 9% cash back if you go that route.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Looks like I'm in luck, my LBS has both the Fox and Wolftooth levers.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    go with wofltooth
    '17 Giant Anthem Adv
    '17 SC Bronson CC
    '17 Ibis Mojo 3
    '15 Giant Anthem 1_SOLD
    '12 Trek Remedy 9_SOLD

mtbr member
    Yeah it will work with both. A set screw pinches the cable in the lever.

I broke the Fox lever at the pin. It's was very fragile.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I agree with b-roken, the fox remote is very fragile,. I broke my first one at the pin junction too.
    '17 Giant Anthem Adv
    '17 SC Bronson CC
    '17 Ibis Mojo 3
    '15 Giant Anthem 1_SOLD
    '12 Trek Remedy 9_SOLD

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ckspeed View Post
    I agree with b-roken, the fox remote is very fragile,. I broke my first one at the pin junction too.
    Word, the Fox is junk. The Wolf Tooth is like butter............
    Trek Stache 7
    9:Zero:7 Whiteout
    Ibis Ripley LS

Bodhisattva
    A few comments:
    I have a Fox and an Easton/RaceFace, both with underbar levers.

They are not compatible.

I like the action of the Fox lever, and don't think it's junk at all, but reading these comments about breakage has me a bit nervous.....Mine survived a crash without problems, but that bolt that holds the main lever body to the lever is small.

I also prefer non-integrated. I have plenty of room on the bar and like independent adjustments

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by mikericci View Post
    This. ^

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Again, another plug for Wolf Tooth. I think the Fox remote is crap - the construction quality is pitiful, it comes with a tiny rivet as a pivot which creates tons of play out of the box, and the thumb paddle is too small. The Wolf Tooth is an upgrade in every way.

Bodhisattva
    Question for WT users:

Y'all using standard or light? The rep at WT prefers standard and says light is a bit vague.

Looks like I have the MTBR upgrade bug.....

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    wolf is the best by far. I use the standard one with a 9point8 and don't mind the extra effort. The fox requires a lot less effort so the standard one is your best bet.

Your bike sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel View Post
    Question for WT users:

Y'all using standard or light? The rep at WT prefers standard and says light is a bit vague.

My light action arrived the other day... I'll install it and post my thoughts on feel compared to the Fox (no standard model experience sorry). The size is super close lengthwise and the paddle is a little bit bigger on the contact points. It is nice... Not sure if this was totally clear but if you buy the model in Shimano Spec I A/B it comes set up for brake lever integration only - doesn't include an optional stand alone bar mount - guess that's extra.

Keep on Rockin...
    Question for WT users:

Got each one on adifferent bike.

The easy throw is , well, much easier, but yes I'd say more vague. Main benefit is a longer lever that gives you more placement options assuming you run the lever clamp inboard of your brake lever clamp.

The regular does feel a bit better. A bit more firm, but in a good way. Less throw. I've got that one mounted directly to my xt brake clamp. So, if you can do a direct brake clamp mount, go regular.

Bodhisattva
    I ordred standard with the 22.2 mm bar clamp. I didn't want brake integration, which limits angle placement. I'll post back. Thanks....

I ordred standard with the 22.2 mm bar clamp. I didn't want brake integration, which limits angle placement. I'll post back. Thanks....
    with I spec 2 you have a very large range of rotation and the remote slide is generous too.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    with I spec 2 you have a very large range of rotation and the remote slide is generous too.
    Saint brakes. A/B. Guy at Wolftooth says angle is dependent on the brake lever angle. I have plenty of real estate on the handlebars and prefer independent adjustment over a cleaner look. But I get it.....

A/B = get the clamp. ispec 2 = get the adapter.

Your bike sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    A/B = get the clamp. ispec 2 = get the adapter.
    I feel like this may be the way to go. Just did the A/B install, nice enough feel but I can certainly say the lever isn't where I'd have put it given a choice. At this point, the position on the clamp Fox one (or WT clamp I assume) is preferable to me. There is little doubt it's a nicer piece gear than Fox but meh so far on the A/B mount. Trying full on ride today so we'll see.

Edit: Yeah, the lever position is a deal breaker for me. Hopefully the clamp is sold separately otherwise I'll be selling it or looking to trade for a Fox lever. BTW - the light action lever feel is super similar to the Fox - close enough that it doesn't matter.
    Last edited by Carl Mega; 08-14-2017 at 02:42 PM.

Bodhisattva
    Installed the Wolftooth last night. Quality of machining is definitely superior to Fox and looks like it will be more durable. I'm glad I went with the adapter clamp with Saint brakes. Lever feel with the standard (not light action) isn't quite as nice as the stock fox, but I won't be going back.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Forgot to update sooner, I ended up with the Wolftooth and I'm really glad I went that way. Not only is it a great remote, but I finally learned the intricacies of i-spec, in my case, i-spec II for use with the XT 8000 brake lever I just got 2 months ago, and I love that system and then ended up getting the Problem Solvers adapter for the other side.

Happy camper!

Bodhisattva
    Update: Swapped the standard Wolftooth lever w 22mm clamp with the light action with a/b integrated into my Saint brakes.

The LA remote is money! It's super smooth, not vague feeling in the least and the lever is exactly where I want it.

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Got each one on adifferent bike.

The easy throw is , well, much easier, but yes I'd say more vague. Main benefit is a longer lever that gives you more placement options assuming you run the lever clamp inboard of your brake lever clamp.

The regular does feel a bit better. A bit more firm, but in a good way. Less throw. I've got that one mounted directly to my xt brake clamp. So, if you can do a direct brake clamp mount, go regular.
    Would like to revise my post...

The 2018/newer Transfer seems to require a much easier lever throw. If mated with the the easy throw Wolftooth it feels too easy and too vague. Go with the regular lever for the newer Fox post.

The older Tranfer feels better with the easy this lever.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Would like to revise my post...

The 2018/newer Transfer seems to require a much easier lever throw. If mated with the the easy throw Wolftooth it feels too easy and too vague. Go with the regular lever for the newer Fox post.

The older Tranfer feels better with the easy this lever.
    I'm of the opposite opinion. With my Transfer, I've now tried the Fox underbar lever and both the WolfTooth ReMote standard and light action. I've settled on the light action. I don't find it vague in the least and it positions perfectly on my handlebars via ISpec w Saint brakes.
    Last edited by The Squeaky Wheel; 10-02-2017 at 09:54 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    ive a 2018 transfer and I wouldn't call it "easy/light level" by any means - unless you have the hands of a gorilla.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ckspeed View Post
    If you over tighten the hex screw on the Fox remote the rotating joint will break. It's too weak at that connection that's why I went with the wolftooth remote.
    Yeah, the "used for two rides, like new, transfer post and lever" I bought off pinkbike came to me already broken where the hex screw inserts... Will be looking at a WOlf Tooth.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Most/all the comments here are about the Fox 1X underbar lever. Anyone using the Fox 2X/3X lever that can comment on its functionality/reliability?

I'm putting an internally routed Transfer on a 2X equipped bike, and I'm debating the Fox 2X lever versus a Bike Yoke 2-BY (+ aftermarket cable barrel).

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post
    Most/all the comments here are about the Fox 1X underbar lever. Anyone using the Fox 2X/3X lever that can comment on its functionality/reliability?

I'm putting an internally routed Transfer on a 2X equipped bike, and I'm debating the Fox 2X lever versus a Bike Yoke 2-BY (+ aftermarket cable barrel).
    i was using the 2/3x lever ( i never had the fox 1x lever in fact)
    i had no real issue with the lever but i only used it for a couple of month - and have been using the wolf tooth la since then.

I do prefer the wolf tooth la because:
    - lighter action
    - (much) easier to reach

that's about it. I don't know the Bike Yoke lever.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I have the WTC remote on a 9point8. Once 9p8 released the FallLine w/WTC remote it was a no brannier to select it over the Transfer post.

mtbr member
    First ride on my wolftooth remote yesterday. Smooth and like the position adjustment ability.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk