mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Fox Talas and RS Pike question

I'm doing a little research on a couple of forks with a view to purchasing on or the other at a later date, namely Fox Talas and RS Pike.

While reading through some reviews on this site I came across some early ones concerning oil leakage on the Talas forks. Has this been remedied on the newer builds?

Also I'm a little confused about the available RS guises namely U-Turn, Dual Air and Air U-Turn. Can somebody explain the differences here. I notice the Dual Air has a weight saving but aside from that what are the different characteristics of these different set ups?

Interlectchewal
    Quote Originally Posted by ridgy
    Also I'm a little confused about the available RS guises namely U-Turn, Dual Air and Air U-Turn. Can somebody explain the differences here. I notice the Dual Air has a weight saving but aside from that what are the different characteristics of these different set ups?
    I can help you with this part. U-Turn is coil with adjustable travel (95-140mm). Dual Air is air with fixed travel (140mm), and Air U-Turn is air with adjustable travel (110-140mm).

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Many thanks TVR Bob for that explanation.

I'm presently using Reba Race air forks. What's the typical characteristic of air sprung vs coil forks?

Life is Good
    From my experience, coil forks are plusher but heavier whereas air forks are not as plush, but lighter and more adjustable.

A lot of air sprung forks, like the TALAS, are getting pretty close to the plushness of coil though, at least in my opinion.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain

Birthday Collector
    I have the TALAS forks on my Enduro, and the Pike 454 Air U-Turn on my Ransom. Both are good forks, but I feel that the action on the RS is a little more plush, with the negative air chamber. Also, the Maxle QR is fantastic - to get a 20mm axle on a reasonable weight fork (32mm stancions instead of the larger and heavier 36mm) is great if you are a trail rider who rides rough conditions, jumps a little but does not go huge. Both forks are very tunable, and you will probably be happy with either, but I have to say that the Pike is probably the best fork I have ridden in it's range. A buddy of mine went from the Fox Vanilla coil fork to the Pike and thinks it is just as plush, with much more adjustability. One of the best parts is, the thing seems to hold pressure forever - in one year I think I have had to adjust the air pressure once. Ride it, keep it clean, wrap an oily cloth around the stancions and leave it on overnight every once in a while and the fork just works.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I have a pike dual air team model back before they named their forks with numbers and I have had no problems with it at all. Also, with the dual air model it technically doesn't have the u-turn for travel adjust but by runinng a higher negative air pressure you can decrease the travel pretty close to as much as you want. With the dual air you can tune the fork near infinitely to be plush or stiff for whatever purpose you choose.

mtbr member
    I have the 07 TALAS, and had an 05 Minute 1. I love the TALAS, but it isn't something I would call "plush". However, I would say that the travel is great and very controlled. Above all, it's linear which is what I really wanted. The travel adjustment works very well and I adjust on the fly constantly. Very nice fork.