Thread: Fox RP23 vs CTD

mtbr member

Fox RP23 vs CTD

I recently received my Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon frame and it came with a CTD shock even though I was reassured it would have an RP23 shock which is what I originally wanted. I have it paired with a 2012 Float 150 FIT RLC up front. I haven't ridden it yet (still collecting parts) but it kind of seems like a dumbed down version of the RP23 in my opinion. Does anyone have any feedback on the CTD versus the RP23?
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

mtbr member

Hope

I never used the RP23, but my new bike came with the 2013 float CTD w/ trail adjust on the rear and 2013 Float 32 FIT CTD up front. I just rode 90 miles on western colorado and moab last week and I must say I like the way the CTD works very much, specially the trail adjust.

The main reason I like it is, aside from making adjustments much easier, I dont like to climb with the bike locked out on trails, so instead of using the Climb setting on the CTD I leave it on Trail and use the "Trail Adjust" on the firm setting. It works GREAT, both on front and rear. I loved the CTD on both the front and the rear of the bike!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Luigiugueto View Post
    The main reason I like it is, aside from making adjustments much easier, I dont like to climb with the bike locked out on trails, so instead of using the Climb setting on the CTD I leave it on Trail and use the "Trail Adjust" on the firm setting.
    This. What I hear most about CTD is people doing what Luigi, just using Trail and forget. May work for a lot of people, personally I prefer having more options available, and even as I haven't tried the CTD stuff, most of my research about it don't please me.

I just had a funky time getting Ibis downgrading my HD from the new CTD stuff to a Lyrik on the XT kit and fortunately it seems I still received the RP23 instead the new ones on the back.

mtbr member
    Wait, I didnt say I left it on Trail and forget, I used all three settings depending on what I was riding.

Paved roads where the only place I locked the bike on Climb (although personally I didnt need it)

For climbing on trails I used the Trail setting, mostly on the "firm" setting on the Trail adjust, which is something I really liked (specially on the fork) because, even though it was set pretty stiff, it would absorb bumps without absorbing my effort, instead of being completely locked out which I dont ike while on the trail.

I left all my previous forks & shocks open while on the trail, now I have something in between.

Whenever it pointed down, I used Descend. I even used descend on some of the really bumpy climbs to avoid bobbing around too much and tiring myself.

MTBR Member
    If you're looking at the Float CTD BV with trail adjust rear shock, then you'll actually have more external adjustments than the RP23. I'd take the CTD shock w/ TA over the RP23 on my Mach5 any day. The rest of the CTD models are a wash when compared to the RP23 - except the CTD has Kashima and a better knob arrangement.

I doubt you'll notice much of a difference.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ncfisherman View Post
    If you're looking at the Float CTD BV with trail adjust rear shock, then you'll actually have more external adjustments than the RP23. I'd take the CTD shock w/ TA over the RP23 on my Mach5 any day. The rest of the CTD models are a wash when compared to the RP23 - except the CTD has Kashima and a better knob arrangement.

I doubt you'll notice much of a difference.
    The 2012 has Kashima too. More adjustments you say? I haven't ridden it yet (a few more parts to collect). I called Competitive Cyclist this evening and got the same response from them. I hope you're right but still would have appreciated them to be a bit more up front with me about the situation. Thank you for your reply.
    2012 Intense M9
    2008 Look 595

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Go with the RP23

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bkreyche View Post
    Go with the RP23
    I appreciate any and all feedback (well, almost all...) but would appreciate a bit of reasoning.
    2012 Intense M9
    2008 Look 595

MTBR Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnozpikr View Post
    The 2012 has Kashima too. More adjustments you say? I haven't ridden it yet (a few more parts to collect). I called Competitive Cyclist this evening and got the same response from them. I hope you're right but still would have appreciated them to be a bit more up front with me about the situation. Thank you for your reply.
    Depends on the level of shock. The top of the line does have 3 additional compression adjustments in the trail setting.

Either way, you're going to be stoked on your 5.7. Can't wait to see it built up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Top of the line CTD has way more adjustment range compared to RP23.

The climb mode has very strong platform for smooth bits and easy climbs, it does open on sudden hits but personally i just use it for smooth climbs on gravel and tarmac.

Descend pretty much gets rid of platform and trail settings seems to adjust your platform and compression setting.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I got a CTD w/ BV & Remote on my 575 and love it. Granted you don't have the level of adjustability of the RP23, but honestly it gets the job done in my opinion. I love the on-the-fly remote compression adjustment of the CTD on the trails. I rather like the climb setting on relatively smoother climbs as I can feel all of my pedaling going into the drivetrain, not suspension, and for bumpy climbs the trail mode suffices. Bump it down to descend mode for drops and it eats up hits all day

Custom Wheelbuilder
    I think that you got lucky with the CTD. It seems to have a bit more linear path that the RP23, and it seems to be a bit more adjustable as well. maybe just play around with the shock a bit and see what type of feel you like. Once you get it set, it will be an "ah ha!" sort of moment.
    Check out www.zencyclery.com for fully customizable, handbuilt wheels.

www.facebook.com/zencyclerywheels

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen Cyclery View Post
    I think that you got lucky with the CTD. It seems to have a bit more linear path that the RP23, and it seems to be a bit more adjustable as well. maybe just play around with the shock a bit and see what type of feel you like. Once you get it set, it will be an "ah ha!" sort of moment.
    Well I feel a lot more confident in what I have now. Thanks everyone for the replies. I think I'll stick with the 2012 150 Float FIT RLC up front though.
    2012 Intense M9
    2008 Look 595