mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Fox RP23 to DHX Air 5.0

After riding my RP23 for a few weeks now I'm curious what I'd lose and gain going to an DHX Air 5.0. I ride a mix of everything from up and down singletrack to jumps and drops where I'm blowing through all my travel.

I'm not a suspension expert co I'm curious what are the pluses and negatives of swapping the shocks? Has anyone else down this?

Thanks.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire V1.5
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2005 Trek Bruiser SS

usually cranky
    imo going from a rp23 to a dhx a5 is a downgrade. the dhx air is a good shock, but it is so hard to set up and i dont think it really gives you anything over a rp23. if you really feel the need send it to push.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    What kinds of difference will I feel after it goes to Push? I'm really concerned about the durability of the RP23.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire V1.5
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2005 Trek Bruiser SS

Crash Test Dummy
    I disagree that it's a downgrade. Having ridden a RP23 on my Felt Redemption and then switching to a DHX 5.0 I'm speaking from experience. Yes the DHX 5.0 is a little harder to dial in but once you get it you'll never look back. The DHX 5.0 is more responsive which helps keep the rear tire in contact with the ground giving you better traction and the bottom out resistance keep it from, well, bottoming out.

mtbr member
    I'd be curious how many of the people who chime in about the DHX Air have actually used one extensively, and how recently. In my experience, they are not that hard to set up but you have to take a bit of time to learn how the adjustments work and interact with each other and then experiment on the trail. I had an 06 DHXa (first gen), a 2010 DHXa and now run a 2010 rp23. I think they are both pretty solid platforms but to me I'm not sure there's enough of a performance difference to justify the expense of the "upgrade". if your rp23 is too linear (bottoms too easily) there are ways to make it more progressive at the end of the stroke (swap to the small air can if you currently have the large can, shim the air can as described in various threads on mtbr, send to Push, etc.). if your shock is due for a rebuild, you could do worse than sending it to Push. I've never ridden an air shock tuned by them I've been very happy with Push-tuned coil shocks I've owned. Fox has also done excellent work for me when I needed my DHXa rebuilt.

if you really want to notice a difference in your suspension you should just get a coil shock, but that will add about a pound of weight to your bike (if you care about that). I ran high end Push-tuned coil shocks on my last two bikes and loved it, but switched back to the rp23 on my current ride and I must say, I don't really miss the coil and love being on a lighter bike. YMMV... call me captain obvious but if you haven't experimented with air pressure/sag and rebound adjustments on your rp23 I'd definitely start there before I threw any money at it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I agree that the benefits probably don't outweigh the cost to upgrade, however...

I've been running an 09 DHX 5.0 Air for the last 2 years on my Titus El Guapo and have been very pleased with it. When I first got mine I couldn't get it plush enough for serious downhill without it blowing through it's mid stroke. I used a thick DH tube inside the air sleeve to reduce the volume some and now it's fantastic. I actually was able to drop the pressure 15psi and got a much better ride.

I'm 200#-225# depending on the time of year and I've been punishing this DHX-A at Northstar, Ashland etc and it hasn't lost 1psi in 2 years. I'd say it's a sturdy product.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I own and have ridden extensively on a dhx 5.0 air, rp23 and an elka coil. All on same bike, but also on different bikes.

IMHO, the dhx 5.0 is a downgrade versus the rp23. The elka coil is my favorite of the three. Not lightest, but the best.
    R

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have owned several RP23's and DHX-A's. I think the DHX-A is a bit finiky on the frames it performs ok on. I usually toggle between the RP23 & coil shocks. For all out performance the coil rules.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession
    What kinds of difference will I feel after it goes to Push? I'm really concerned about the durability of the RP23.

I had Rp23 then DHX-A on my Mojo I sent my rp23 to push it's pretty close when it comes to feel and performance. DHX-A is only difficult to dial the first time you use it once you understand each extreme it's easy to get it dial just right, it does take time and having a note pad helps a lot too.

Too bad push does not service Dhx-A it would be awesome, some if not most companies now have custom valve on their shock so a stock shock may not work as well. What bike are you putting the shock on?